A zip line business is a type of recreational and adventure tourism enterprise that offers zip line experiences to customers.
Zip lines consist of cables stretched between two points, typically high above the ground, with participants wearing a harness and using a pulley system to slide along the cable. Customers can enjoy the thrill of gliding through the air, usually over scenic landscapes or through designated courses.
Zip line businesses often operate in outdoor settings such as forests, mountains, or other natural areas that provide suitable locations for setting up zip line structures. They may offer various types of zip line experiences, including different lengths, heights, speeds, and levels of difficulty to cater to a wide range of customers, from families to adrenaline-seeking adventure enthusiasts.
To ensure safety, zip line businesses typically provide professional guides or instructors who instruct participants on how to properly use the equipment. They may also conduct safety briefings and inspections of the zip line infrastructure to maintain high safety standards.
Steps on How to Write a Zip Line Business Plan [Sample Template]
Table of Content
Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. is an exciting adventure tourism company based in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Our business aims to provide thrilling zip line experiences to visitors while showcasing the stunning beauty of the surrounding mountainous landscape.
With a strong focus on safety, customer satisfaction, and sustainable practices, we aim to become the premier zip line destination in the region. Our zip line facility is strategically located in the heart of Chattanooga, nestled in the picturesque Appalachian Mountains.
Our zip line courses provide breathtaking views of the Appalachian Mountains, allowing participants to soar through the air while experiencing the thrill of adventure. We maintain the highest safety standards, employing certified guides and using top-quality equipment. Regular inspections and maintenance ensure the utmost safety for all participants.
Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. is dedicated to environmental stewardship. We utilize eco-friendly practices, such as minimizing our carbon footprint, preserving the natural surroundings, and promoting responsible tourism. Moses Adamson is the founder and CEO of Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc.
a. Our Products and Services
We offer a range of zip line courses that cater to diverse skill levels and interests, ensuring an exhilarating adventure for families, outdoor enthusiasts, and corporate groups alike. Our experienced guides prioritize customer safety and provide comprehensive instructions, ensuring that participants have a memorable and worry-free experience.
b. Nature of the Business
Our zip line center will operate as a B2C – Business to consumer business model.
c. The Industry
Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. will operate in the broader adventure tourism and recreational activities industry.
d. Mission Statement
At Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc., our mission is to provide exhilarating zip line experiences that connect our customers with the awe-inspiring beauty of the surrounding mountainous landscape. We are dedicated to offering safe, memorable, and eco-friendly adventures that leave a lasting impact on our visitors.
Through exceptional customer service, a commitment to sustainability, and a passion for adventure, we aim to create moments of excitement and joy while promoting a deep appreciation for nature.
e. Vision Statement
Our vision at Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. is to become the leading zip line destination in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and beyond. We strive to be recognized for our commitment to safety, exceptional customer experiences, and sustainable practices.
f. Our Tagline (Slogan)
Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. – “ Soar to New Heights, Embrace the Thrill!”
g. Legal Structure of the Business (LLC, C Corp, S Corp, LLP)
Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. will be formed as a Limited Liability Company, LLC.
h. Our Organizational Structure
- Chief Operating Officer (Owner)
- Operations Manager
- Accountant (Cashier)
- Marketing and Sales Officer
- Customer Care Executive
i. Ownership/Shareholder Structure and Board Members
- Moses Adamson (Owner and Chairman/Chief Executive Officer) 51 Percent Shares
- Vicent Suarez (Board Member) 19 Percent Shares
- Larry Benjamin (Board Member) 10 Percent Shares
- Olivia Ethan (Board Member) 10 Percent Shares
- Charlotte Williams (Board Member and Secretary) 10 Percent Shares.
- Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. is strategically situated in Chattanooga, Tennessee, surrounded by the stunning Appalachian Mountains, offering a picturesque backdrop for zip line experiences.
- The zip line courses provided by Mountain View® offer an exciting adventure and an opportunity for customers to connect with nature in an exhilarating way.
- The company prioritizes customer safety and employs certified guides, high-quality equipment, and regular inspections to ensure a safe and secure experience for all participants.
- Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. emphasizes excellent customer service, providing personalized attention and aiming to exceed customer expectations, resulting in high customer satisfaction rates.
- The company is committed to environmental stewardship, implementing eco-friendly practices, minimizing its carbon footprint, and promoting responsible tourism.
- Inclement weather conditions, such as heavy rain or storms, may disrupt or cancel zip line activities, potentially impacting business operations and revenue.
- The demand for zip line experiences may fluctuate with the seasons, with peak periods during warmer months and potentially slower periods during colder seasons.
- Depending on the infrastructure and resources available, there may be limitations on the number of participants that can be accommodated simultaneously, potentially leading to restricted revenue potential.
- The increasing popularity of adventure tourism presents opportunities for Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. to attract a larger customer base and capitalize on the demand for unique outdoor experiences.
- Forming strategic partnerships with local accommodations, tourism agencies, and other adventure sports providers can expand the reach and visibility of the business, attracting more visitors and creating mutually beneficial promotional opportunities.
- Introducing new zip line courses, additional adventure activities, or combination packages with other outdoor experiences can attract a wider range of customers and encourage repeat visits.
i. How Big is the Industry?
The global adventure tourism industry that the zip line business is a part of is substantial, with a global market value of USD 586.3 billion in 2019.
ii. Is the Industry Growing or Declining?
The global adventure tourism industry, which encompasses zip line activities among other adventure experiences, was valued at around USD 586.3 billion in 2019 and is projected to reach USD 1.63 trillion by 2026, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 13.3% during the forecast period.
These figures reflect the overall market size for adventure tourism, including various activities like zip lining, rock climbing, water sports, and more.
iii. What are the Future Trends in the Industry?
The zip line industry continues to evolve and adapt to changing consumer preferences and technological advancements. Several future trends are likely to shape the industry in the coming years.
Zip line operators are expected to introduce innovative designs and engineering techniques to enhance the thrill and experience for participants. This could include the incorporation of interactive elements, multi-line courses, higher speeds, and more immersive features.
The integration of technology is likely to play a significant role in the zip line industry’s future. This may include the use of virtual reality (VR) or augmented reality (AR) to enhance the participant’s experience, such as simulating different environments or providing interactive elements during the ride.
As environmental consciousness grows, the zip line industry is likely to focus even more on sustainable practices. This includes using eco-friendly materials, adopting renewable energy sources, minimizing environmental impact through responsible construction and operation, and promoting conservation and education about the natural surroundings.
The use of digital platforms and online booking systems will continue to streamline the reservation process and enhance customer convenience. Zip line businesses may leverage social media, mobile apps, and online platforms to market their offerings, provide real-time updates, and engage with customers before, during, and after their zip line experiences.
iv. Are There Existing Niches in the Industry?
No, there are no niche ideas when it comes to a zip line of business. This is so because the zip line business is a niche idea in the broader adventure tourism and recreational activities industry.
v. Can You Sell a Franchise of Your Business in the Future?
Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. has plans to sell franchises in the nearest future and we will target major cities with mountains in the United States of America and Canada.
- The presence of potential competitors offering similar zip line experiences or alternative adventure activities in the region may pose a threat to Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc.’s market share.
- Economic downturns or fluctuations in the tourism industry may impact consumer spending and discretionary travel, potentially affecting the demand for zip line experiences.
- Compliance with safety regulations, permits, and licensing requirements specific to zip line operations can present challenges and incur additional costs.
i. Who are the Major Competitors?
- Zip World
- Canopy Tours Northwest
- ZipQuest Waterfall & Treetop Adventure
- Navitat Canopy Adventures
- Alaska Zipline Adventures
- The Gorge Zip Line
- Zip Chicago
- Skyline Eco-Adventures
- Adventure Park USA
- Royal Gorge Zip Line Tours
- Banning Mills Zip Line Canopy Tours
- Out of Africa Wildlife Park
- Soaring Tree Top Adventures
- Zip KC
- Sundance ZipTour
- Branson Zipline and Canopy Tours
- ACCT Zipline
- New York Zipline Adventure Tours
- Navitat Knoxville
- Ziptrek Ecotours.
ii. Is There a Franchise for Zip Line Business?
Yes, there are franchise opportunities for zip line businesses, and here are some of them:
- ZipLine USA
- Go Ape
- The Adventure Park at Long Island
- ZipZone Outdoor Adventures
- TreeRunner Adventure Parks
- Monkey Trunks
- ZipLine Utah
- Outdoor Ventures Group.
iii. Are There Policies, Regulations, or Zoning Laws Affecting Zip Line Business?
Yes, there are policies, regulations, and zoning laws that can affect the operation of zip line businesses in the United States. The specific requirements can vary by state, county, and even local jurisdictions.
Zip line operations are typically subject to safety regulations enforced by various entities such as state and local authorities, building departments, or amusement ride safety boards. These regulations may cover aspects such as structural integrity, equipment maintenance, participant safety gear, operator training, and emergency response protocols.
Depending on the location and environmental impact of the zip line course, businesses may need to comply with regulations related to protected areas, wildlife habitats, water resources, or sensitive ecosystems. Environmental impact assessments and mitigation measures may be required to ensure compliance.
Zoning laws may cover factors such as setbacks from property boundaries, noise restrictions, parking requirements, and visual impact on the surrounding area. Operators need to ensure their planned location complies with local zoning regulations.
a. Who is Your Target Audience?
i. Age Range
Our target audience primarily includes individuals aged 18 to 45 years. This age range typically represents adventure enthusiasts, young professionals, families with older children, and active adults seeking thrilling outdoor experiences.
ii. Level of Education
The target audience consists of individuals with a range of educational backgrounds. However, a higher emphasis is placed on those with at least a high school education or higher, as they are more likely to have the financial means and decision-making autonomy to participate in zip line activities.
iii. Income Level
Our target audience includes individuals from various income levels, including middle to upper-middle income segments. These individuals have discretionary income to spend on recreational activities and are willing to invest in unique and memorable experiences.
We aim to provide zip line experiences that are inclusive and open to individuals of diverse ethnic backgrounds. Our target audience encompasses people from all ethnicities and cultural backgrounds.
While our primary language of communication is English, we strive to accommodate visitors who speak different languages by providing multilingual guides or utilizing translation services as needed. This ensures a welcoming experience for both English-speaking and non-English-speaking visitors.
vi. Geographical Location
Our primary focus is on attracting both local residents and tourists visiting the Chattanooga, Tennessee area. We aim to capture the attention of adventure seekers within a reasonable travel distance, including surrounding areas and nearby states.
Our target audience consists of individuals with an active and adventurous lifestyle. They enjoy outdoor activities, seek unique experiences, and have an appreciation for nature.
b. Advertising and Promotion Strategies
- Host Themed Events That Catch the Attention of Potential Clients.
- Tap Into Text Marketing.
- Use FOMO to Run Photo Promotions.
- Share Your Events in Local Groups and Pages.
- Turn Your Social Media Channels into a Resource
- Develop Your Business Directory Profiles
- Build Relationships with other tourism and recreational service providers and related organizations in our Area
i. Traditional Marketing Strategies
- Marketing through Direct Mail.
- Print Media Marketing – Newspapers & Magazines.
- Broadcast Marketing -Television & Radio Channels.
- OOH Marketing – Public Transit like Buses and Trains, Billboards, Street shows, and Cabs.
- Leverage direct sales, direct mail (postcards, brochures, letters, fliers), tradeshows, print advertising (magazines, newspapers, coupon books, billboards), referral (also known as word-of-mouth marketing), radio, and television.
ii. Digital Marketing Strategies
- Social Media Marketing Platforms.
- Influencer Marketing.
- Email Marketing.
- Content Marketing.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Marketing.
- Affiliate Marketing
- Mobile Marketing.
iii. Social Media Marketing Plan
- Start using chatbots.
- Create a personalized experience for each of our clients.
- Create an efficient content marketing strategy.
- Create a community for our freelance marketers and influencers.
- Gear up our profiles with a diverse content strategy.
- Use brand advocates.
- Create profiles on relevant social media channels.
- Run cross-channel campaigns.
c. Pricing Strategy
Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. will adopt the following pricing strategies:
- Cost-Plus Pricing
- Value-Based Pricing
- Competitive Pricing
- Dynamic Pricing
- Bundle Pricing
Please note that our pricing strategy is based on a careful analysis of the costs and profitability of the business, as well as the needs and preferences of the target customer base.
Sales and Distribution Plan
a. Sales Channels
Our channel sales strategy will involve using partners and third parties—such as referral partners, affiliate partners, freelance marketers, and social media influencers to help refer clients to us. We will develop a comprehensive marketing strategy to promote Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. through online channels, social media platforms, local advertising, and partnerships with event organizers.
b. Inventory Strategy
The fact that we will need related supplies per time means that Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. will operate an inventory strategy that is based on a day-to-day methodology for ordering, maintaining, and processing items in our warehouse.
We will develop our strategy with the same thoroughness and attention to detail as we would if we were creating an overall strategy for the business.
c. Payment Options for Customers
- Bank Transfers
- Credit or Debit Card
- Electronic Payment Systems such as PayPal or Venmo.
d. Return Policy, Incentives, and Guarantees
At Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc., we strive to provide exceptional zip line experiences that meet or exceed our customers’ expectations. However, due to the nature of our business, which involves limited capacity and time slots, we have specific guidelines for our return policy:
We offer refunds for canceled reservations made in advance, subject to certain conditions. Customers must notify us within a specified timeframe (e.g., 48 hours) prior to their scheduled zip line experience to be eligible for a refund. Refunds may be subject to a cancellation fee or administrative charges.
If a customer needs to reschedule their zip line adventure, we are happy to accommodate their request, subject to availability. Rescheduling can be done within a certain timeframe (e.g., 24 hours) before the originally booked date and is subject to any applicable rescheduling fees.
In cases of inclement weather or adverse conditions that pose a safety risk, we may need to cancel or reschedule zip line experiences. In such situations, customers will have the option to reschedule their adventure or receive a full refund.
To enhance customer experience and show appreciation for their support, Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. We may have a loyalty program in place where customers can earn points or rewards based on their number of visits or referrals.
These rewards can be redeemed for discounts on future zip line adventures or exclusive merchandise. We provide special discounts for group bookings, encouraging families, friends, and organizations to enjoy the zip line experience together. These group discounts are available for a certain minimum number of participants.
We offer seasonal promotions and limited-time offers to attract customers during specific times of the year, such as holidays or off-peak seasons. These promotions may include discounted rates, package deals, or additional perks.
At Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc., we are committed to providing a safe, enjoyable, and memorable experience for our customers. We have trained and certified guides, regular equipment inspections, and adhere to industry best practices to ensure a safe zip line adventure.
e. Customer Support Strategy
Our customer support strategy will involve prioritizing excellent customer service by providing a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Addressing customer inquiries, concerns, and feedback promptly and professionally.
Our operational plan for Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. would outline the day-to-day activities and processes involved in running the business. We will coordinate with event organizers and individuals to plan and execute zip line riding experiences for various events.
Overall, we plan to expand our revenue by 25 percent in the second year and the plan will include a marketing, sales, and operations component. The operations component of the plan would include attracting partnerships and referrals that will enable the firm to boost our service offerings and support revenue growth.
a. What Happens During a Typical Day at a Zip Line Center?
- Before opening the doors, staff at the center typically clean the facility, inspect the equipment, and make sure everything is in good condition for customers.
- Greet and assist customers as they arrive, providing them with waivers or necessary forms to sign.
- Collect fees, process payments, and issue wristbands or tokens sessions.
- Operate the zip line riding sessions. Ensure that participants follow safety instructions and guidelines.
- Staff members also answer questions from customers regarding booking inquiries or general inquiries about the game.
- At the end of the day, staff members clean up the facility and prepare it for the next day.
b. Production Process
There is no production process when it comes to a zip line business.
c. Service Procedure
- Greet and assist customers as they arrive, providing them with waivers or necessary forms to sign.
- Collect fees, process payments, and issue wristbands or tokens for zip line riding sessions.
- Operate the zip line riding sessions.
- Ensure that participants follow safety instructions and guidelines.
d. The Supply Chain
Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. will establish a business relationship with wholesale supplies of zip line supplies and merchandise.
e. Sources of Income
Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. makes money from;
- Booking fees
- Walk-in fees
- Private events such as corporate team building activities, birthday parties, or bachelor/bachelorette parties for which we will charge a flat fee.
- Food and beverage sales
- Merchandise sales
- Memberships and loyalty programs
- Advertising and sponsorships.
a. Amount Needed to Start Our Zip Line Center?
Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. would need an estimate of $1.6 million to successfully set up our zip line center in the United States of America. Please note that this amount includes the salaries of all our staff for the first month of operation.
b. What are the Costs Involved?
- Business Registration Fees – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits – $7,300.
- Marketing, Branding, and Promotions – $5,000.
- Business Consultant Fee – $2,500.
- Insurance – $5,400.
- Rent/Lease – $450,000.
- Operational Cost (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $70,000
- start-up inventory – $75,000
- Store Equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $4,750
- Equipment and maintenance – $350,000
- Website: $600
- Opening party: $3,000
- Miscellaneous: $2,000
c. Do You Need to Build a Facility? If YES, How Much Will It Cost?
Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. will build a new facility for our zip line center, and it will cost us $1.3 million.
d. What are the Ongoing Expenses for Running a Zip Line Business?
- Equipment Maintenance and Repair
- Rent or Mortgage
- Employee wages and benefits
- Marketing and Advertising
- Utilities such as electricity, water, heating, and cooling
- Insurance and License Renewals
- Cleaning and Maintenance
- Administrative and Office Expenses (office supplies, software subscriptions, accounting services, legal fees, and other administrative needs).
- Miscellaneous Expenses.
e. What is the Average Salary of your Staff?
- Chief Executive Officer (Owner) – $55,000 per year
- Facility Manager – $40,000 per year
- Accountant (Cashier) – $36,0000
- Marketing and Sales Officer – $35,000 per year
- Instructors – $35,000 per year
- Customer Care Executive – $25,396 per year
f. How Do You Get Funding to Start a Zip Line Business?
- Raising money from personal savings and sale of personal stocks and properties
- Applying for a loan from your bank/banks
- Pitching our business idea and applying for business grants and seed funding from, the government, donor organizations, and angel investors
- Source for soft loans from our family members and our friends.
a. How Much Should You Charge for Your Product/Service?
On average, zip line experiences in the United States can range from $50 to $200 per person for a single ride or tour. We will offer discounted rates for children, groups, or off-peak times. Additionally, packaged deals that combine multiple activities or extended zip line courses may have higher prices.
b. Sales Forecast?
- First Fiscal Year (FY1): $420,000
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2): $550,000
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3): $620,000
c. Estimated Profit You Will Make a Year?
- First Fiscal Year (FY1): (20% of revenue generated)
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2): (30% of revenue generated)
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3): (35% of revenue generated)
d. Profit Margin of a Zip Line Product/Service
The ideal profit margin we hope to make at Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. will be between 10 and 35 percent on service charges.
a. How do you intend to grow and expand? By opening more retail outlets/offices or selling a franchise?
Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. will grow our zip line business by first opening other facilities in key cities in the United States of America within the first five years of establishing the organization and then will start selling franchises from the tenth year.
b. Where do you intend to expand to and why? (Geographical Locations)
Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. plans to expand to
- Denver, Colorado
- Salt Lake City, Utah
- Asheville, North Carolina
- Seattle, Washington
- Anchorage, Alaska
- Boulder, Colorado
- Flagstaff, Arizona
- Missoula, Montana
- Reno, Nevada
- Chattanooga, Tennessee.
The reason we intend to expand to these locations is the fact that these cities have a promising market for zip line centers and the broader adventure tourism and recreational activities industry generally.
The founder of Mountain View® Zip Line, Inc. plans to exit the business via family succession. We have positioned structures and processes in place that will help us achieve our plan of successfully transferring the business from one family member to another and from one generation to another without difficulties.
The company has successfully developed a detailed transition plan to smoothly hand over responsibilities to the new successor. This includes transferring ownership, training key personnel, and communicating with employees, customers, and suppliers about the change.