Do you want to start a business in Los Angeles, CA? If YES, here are 50 best profitable small business ideas & investment opportunities in Los Angeles for 2020.
Los Angeles, also known as the city of angels is one of the most vibrant and viable places to do business on earth. LA is a port of the united states of America, that is the largest city in California and the second-largest in the United States. It boasts of a large population that is to a large extent relatively well to do.
LA’s Gross Metropolitan Product as at 2016 was $737.9 billion which is even more than that of a lot of countries in the world. In fact, if Los Angeles was a country, it would be equivalent to the 18th largest economy in the world and as such it presents a plethora of business opportunities for small scale entrepreneurs.
With a large number of residents in Los Angeles as your potential customers, there are many diverse businesses that a small business entrepreneur can engage in. Here is a list of the top 50 best business opportunities in Los Angeles.
50 Best Small Business Opportunities in Los Angeles for 2020
1. Recruitment agency: LA is home to a lot of businesses, industries and multinational companies. When you open a requirement agency, you will help people to source for jobs that are best suited for them for a fee. You will also help businesses in their recruitment process. There will always be people in need of a new job or who want to change their current job that will patronize your business.
2. Advertisement agency: Los Angeles houses a lot of businesses that need promotion so as to increase their visibility to the teaming populace of the city. With this you can create captivating adverts and thus help to promote the businesses.
3. Tourism services: with a lot of beautiful and breath taking sights in Los Angeles, it is no wonder that the city will be a tourist haven. If you are good at management of tours and trips, you can start own tourism service and show people the fun side of the city.
4. Gas station: almost everyone has a car or uses a means of transport that relies on gas in LA, fueling up the vehicle constantly is an inevitability. LA has over 8,000 gas stations which employs more than 54,500 people. You can also engage in dispensing alternative sources of fuel such as biofuel.
5. Open a Grocery Store: If you are looking for an ideal business to start in LA that requires low start-up capital to set-up, then you should consider opening a grocery store in an ideal location in Los Angeles. People visit grocery stores to re-stock their homes from time to time and as such you are guaranteed to have customers and thus make money.
This type of business is simple to set up and it is indeed a profitable business. You might not make huge profits from this type of business, but you are sure of maintaining steady cash flow on a daily basis. If you choose to start this type of business, ensure that you conduct market survey in order to know the types of products to stock your store with. The truth is that if you stock your store with what the people around do not need, you will struggle to make sales.
6. Start a Gourmet Business: Gourmet business is another typical retailing business that can do pretty well in LA. If you are looking for a simple but highly thriving small business to start, then you need to consider starting a gourmet retailing business. It is indeed a profitable business and if you want to make the best out of this type of business, you should position your gourmet outlet around a cinema, football viewing center, sports center and outdoors event centers.
7. Open an Ice Cream Shop: Ice cream shop is another cool retailing business that any serious minded entrepreneur can successfully start. It is a business that requires little training and skills to set-up and manage. If you are looking towards starting this type of business, and you don’t have the skills, you can quickly learn the skills, it is likely not going to take you more than a week to learn how to make different flavors of ice cream.
Even if you don’t have the required capital to rent and equip a shop, you can operate a mobile ice cream shop. Mobile ice cream shops will give you the opportunity to change location from time to time and to go to places where you know you are likely going to generate more sales.
8. Open a Restaurant: Another food related retailing business that an entrepreneur who is serious about making money should consider starting in LA is to open a restaurant. It is fact that the restaurant business in Los Angeles is generates huge income annually and can comfortably stand the test of time if well managed.
Any business person who gets involved in the food industry is sure to get good returns on investment if the business is well positioned. One good thing about the restaurant business is that an owner has the sole right to determine the price they want to sell their menu irrespective of what others around may sell their food for, especially if they are good with the delicacies they whip up.
There are various kinds of restaurants you can choose to start if you are interested in opening a restaurant. Here are a few examples; we have fast food restaurants, intercontinental restaurants, local restaurants, family style cafeterias, casual dining restaurants, and fast casual restaurants, amongst others.
9. Open a Vegetable and Fruits Mart
If you are looking towards starting a retailing business as an entrepreneur in LA, you can source for vegetables and fruits from farms and retail them. It is indeed a simple business that requires little start-up capital and as a matter of fact, any serious minded entrepreneur can successfully run this type of business.
This type of business does not require any special skills to run and it is important to state that if you stock your mart with varieties of fruits and vegetables, you can easily attract customers. You have to however, have good business acumen.
10. Retailing of Frozen Food: Frozen food mart is another typical retailing business and it is indeed a thriving and profitable business venture. Frozen foods such as fish, chicken, turkey etc. are generally consumed all over the United States with LA not being an exception.
So if you are looking for a business to start; a business that is not capital intensive and simple to manage, then you need to consider setting up a frozen food mart. It is important to state that the location you choose to start this type of business will go a long way to determine if the business will become successful. The ideal place to locate this type of business is a market place or residential estate.
11. Open a Meat Mart
Another business that an entrepreneur can successfully start in a small town is a meat mart. Aside from vegetarians and a couple of people, meats are generally consumed in all the parts of the United States; hence it is a viable and profitable business to start. Just like most retailing businesses, the location you choose to start this type of business will go a long way to determine the success of the business. The ideal places to locate this type of business are food markets and residential estates if the law of your community permits it.
12. Open a Bookshop
If you are considering starting a business in LA, then one of your options is to open a bookshop; a store where books of different genre from different authors are sold. There is a large market for books especially if you have done your homework before stocking your bookshop with books.
If you are considering starting this type of business, aside from the fact that you will be operating your bookshop from a facility (brick and mortar store) it will be to your advantage to also maintain an online book shop. It will give the online community an opportunity to patronize your bookshop.
13. Open a Retail Pharmacy Store: Another ideal retailing business where products from different manufacturers are retailed is a retail pharmacy store. If you are a licensed pharmacist and you looking towards starting your own business as against working for someone, then you should consider opening a retail pharmacy store.
This type of business is highly profitable and thriving if well located. Pharmacy retailing business is one of the few retailing businesses that are highly regulated. Before you can start this type of business, you will be required to secure permits and licenses from the regulatory bodies in your country or city.
14. Open a Hospital /Medical Centre: Some of the first business options that readily come to mind when it comes to starting a business in LA is to open a hospital. You can have a hospital where you can offer cosmetic surgery or/and general health care.
15. Open a Veterinary Clinic: Another thriving and profitable business that an entrepreneur who wants to start a business in LA should consider starting is to open a veterinary clinic. As a matter of fact, if you are a veterinary doctor, this is the most suitable business that you can successfully start. According to a recent survey, 68 percent of U.S households or about 85 million families own a pet. These are your target market.
16. Elderly Care Business: Another thriving and profitable business that a medical professional, preferably a qualified nurse who is interested in starting a business in LA should consider starting is to go into elderly care business.
It is a business that takes care of the elderly and of course there will always be the aged among us who would need this type of services from time to time. In fact LA County has about 20 seniors for every 100 people of working age and this ratio is projected to double by 2040.
So if you are thinking of starting this type of business, then it will pay you to conduct a thorough feasibility studies and market survey before choosing a location in LA for this type of business. Demography matters a lot when it comes to positioning this type of business.
17. Auto Repair Garage: Auto repair business is amongst the highly thriving, profitable and easy to setup auto services related business ideas an entrepreneur can successfully start in LA. All over the world, car repairs is one business that never goes into extinction.
This is because daily, fleets of cars are being added to the garages of people and so whether it is a brand new car or a fairly used one, you can be sure that sometime in the future car repair would be inevitable. As long as people use their cars and trucks regularly, there will always be reasons for them to visit an auto workshop if indeed they want these vehicles to continue to ply the roads. This is because you can never rule out wear and tear when a machine is in use.
18. Car Wash Business: Another easy to establish but highly thriving and profitable business an entrepreneur who is all out to make money should consider starting in LA is to open a car wash. The market for car wash is driven by the purchase of cars and the increase in consumer spending, as the general economy of a country grows, more people will buy cars and more people will patronize the services of a car wash on a regular basis especially if their driving habits encourages them to do so
19. Sale of Auto Spare Parts: As long as people still use automobiles on our roads, auto spare parts will continue to be in demand. Auto spare parts business is indeed a profitable business because the replacement of damaged or worn-out auto parts is compulsory if you want your vehicle to continue to be on the road and serve the purpose you bought it for.
If you are looking for a business to start in LA and you have interest in the automobile industry, then you should consider starting your own auto spare parts sale business. Although you don’t need a college degree to establish your own auto spare parts store, but you would need some form of informal training. You might have to work as an apprentice with someone who owns an auto spare parts store. It makes it easier for you to learn the ropes.
20. Poultry Farming Business: chicken, quails, guinea fowls, ducks etc. are all birds that can be comfortably reared in a poultry farm. Chicken and birds are a staple food in the United States in general hence there is a large market for poultry farmers.
If you are looking towards starting a business in LA, then one of your options is to settle for poultry farming. Poultry farming is a highly thriving and profitable business venture. Aside from the fact that people consume birds, supply of eggs is also a major source of revenue generation for poultry farmers.
21. Open a Consignment Store: Opening a consignment store is yet another profitable and thriving business that an entrepreneur who is looking towards starting a business in a Los Angeles can successfully launch with little start-up capital.
Consignment business is all about selling used stuffs such as electronics, shoes, clothes, caps, bags and kitchen wares etc. So if you are looking towards starting a business, then one of your options is to open a consignment store. It is a cool means of earning money.
22. Start a Landscaping Business: Another thriving and profitable easy to start business in Los Angeles is landscaping business. Landscape architecture is all about the art, planning, designing, management, preservation and rehabilitation of the land to beautify the environment. Landscaping business just like lawn care business is not one of those businesses that someone can start and make big money from without truly working hard and smart.
Any entrepreneur who intends starting his or her own landscaping business and making huge profits from it must be very creative and must be ready to go the extra mile to convince clients that he or she can deliver an excellent job and he or she must prove beyond every reasonable doubt that they are competent.
23. Offer Lawn Care Services: A lawn care service is one of the businesses that an aspiring entrepreneur can successfully start. It is a business that is easy to start and manage; the basic equipment needed to start this type of business are lawn mower, shovel, rake, wheelbarrow and shearer etc.
It is important to state that Lawn care and maintenance business falls in the category of seasonal businesses in most states of the US, however in LA it almost never snows and as such lawn care services can be done almost throughout the year.
24. Start a Plumbing Business: in recent time, it appears that plumbers are difficult to come by; the plumbers that are available in Los Angeles are not enough to service the city. So if you are looking for a home improvement business to start in LA, then one of your options is to start a plumbing business. It is important to state that you would need to acquire a plumbing skill if you intend starting a plumbing business. This type of business can be successfully run alone or with one or more employees.
25. Go into Home Painting Business: Home painting business is yet another highly lucrative and profitable home improvement business that an entrepreneur who is interested in making money should consider starting in LA. One of the easiest ways of improving the appearance of your home is first to paint your house. This goes to show that there are indeed loads of business opportunities for professional painters.
So if you are looking towards starting a business, a business that requires very minimal start-up capital and a business that you can successfully operate alone or with one or more employees, then one of your options is to go into home painting business. It is important to state that you would be required to acquire training as a painter before you can successfully launch this type of business.
24. Start Repairing Computers: Repairing of computers (laptops and desktops) is yet another thriving and profitable info tech business idea that an entrepreneur who is looking towards starting a business in Los Angeles can successfully start. All you need to do to get this business going is to acquire computer repair skills, purchase the required repair tools and then rent a shop in a good location. There is indeed a large market for this type of business.
25. Start Repairing Smart Phones: Another Info tech business idea that an entrepreneur can launch is to open a smart phone repair shop; a place where people can repair their smart phones, tablets and pads. The truth is that if you can successfully secure a nice location to open this type of business, you will attract loads of clients because of the large number of people that own smart phones, tablets and pads. So if you are techie inclined, then with little training you can open your own smart phone repair shop.
26. Open a Carpentry Shop: Another thriving and profitable business that an entrepreneur who is looking towards starting a business in Los Angeles should consider starting is to open a carpentry shop. This is so because the services of carpenters are needed in most communities. So if you are a carpenter and you are looking towards starting a business in a small town, then one of your best options is to open a carpentry shop.
27. Security services: Los Angeles is home to a lot of celebrities and high profile individuals and security is one of their major concerns. Also neighborhoods, companies, schools etc. need to protect themselves from security threats. You can start a security outfit that specializes in protecting individuals and companies with the aid of sophisticated equipment. You can also earn a lot of money by selling security gadgets such as electric fences, pepper spray, Taser, stun gun etc.
28. Start a Roof Maintenance and Restoration Business: Roof maintenance and restoration business is yet another profitable and thriving construction related business that an aspiring entrepreneur can successfully start. Roofs are subject to wear and tear due to the exposure to hash climatic conditions which is why after a period of time you will find out that a roof is leaking when it rains.
It is the duty of roof maintenance and restoration companies to help fix leakages in roofs and also to replace worn out roofs with new ones. So if you are looking for a construction related business to start in a small town, then one of your options is to start a roof maintenance and restoration business.
29. Become a Forex Trader: Forex trading just like most online businesses is one business that you can start in any location of the world as long as you have internet facility; you can successfully start this type of business in Los Angeles.
Trading currencies online could be a risky venture but it is indeed a very rewarding Online business. If you have good analytic skills and you have sound knowledge on cash flow and the exchange market, you can do well as a forex trader. You can Google forex trading platforms and tutorials to learn how to become a professional forex trader.
30. Freelance Writing Jobs: Freelance writing is yet another easy to launch business that anybody can successfully run in LA. If you are a skilled and creative writer and you have enough time at your disposal, then you can earn good income from freelance writing business.
There are loads of websites you can secure high paying writing jobs from. Some of the sites where you can bid for freelance writing jobs are freelancer.com, upwork.com, guru.com and Fiverr.com. From these sites you can get writing jobs that can comfortable pay your bills while you are still schooling.
31. Open a Cosmetic Shop: Cosmetic shop is yet another thriving and profitable business that an entrepreneur can start in Los Angeles. There is a large market for cosmetics and good enough the cosmetic business is not meant for women alone but all genders. If you are looking towards starting a retail business in a small town, then you should consider opening a cosmetic shop.
Just like any other retail business, location is an important factor that determines the success of the business. So before making a choice as regards where to rent or lease a shop to start your cosmetic retailing business; ensure that you conduct thorough market survey and feasibility studies.
32. Motel and Lodge: Of course it is a must for visitors to look for places to lodge when they visit Los Angeles, except when they have a host who is ready to accommodate them for the duration their stay. So, motel and lodge is a very vital business in LA. As a matter of fact, before tourists visit a tourist town, part of their findings will be how to locate the nearest hotel and lodge in the town. So as an investor, if you are looking towards starting a business in a small town, then one of your options is to invest in hotels and lodge.
33. Photography Business: Photography business is yet another business venture that an entrepreneur can successfully start in Los Angeles. Of course as a photographer with a good studio, you will not only attract people to your photo studio, but you will also have the opportunity to cover events such as wedding ceremonies, birthday parties, concerts among others. So if you are a professional photographer, you can consider opening your own photography business in LA.
34. Open a Barbing Salon: Another business that is thriving and profitable in LA is barbing saloon because almost everyone needs a haircut from time to time. If you are good at cutting hair and you know you have time to spare in the evening and weekends, then you should consider opening a barbing saloon. Just ensure that you locate your barbing saloon in a place that is easily accessible to people and you won’t struggle to attract customers on a regular basis.
35. Open a Beauty Salon: Beauty salon is yet another highly thriving and profitable business that an entrepreneur who is looking towards starting a business should consider starting. Just like barbing saloon business, this type of business can be demanding and time consuming. Make sure you locate your beauty shop in a busy location in LA so as to attract clients at all times. It is worthy to note that if you do not know jack about the business, you can go for training.
36. Dog Breeding Business: Dog breeding business is yet another profitable business that an aspiring entrepreneur can successfully start. Amongst domestic animals, dogs are considered to be one of the closest companions to humans.
Dog breeding business is a lucrative business in LA because a lot of residents here love dogs. If you are looking towards setting up your kennel, ensure that you source for dog breeds that are highly marketable in your area. It is important to state that it is easier to sell puppies than to sell adult dogs.
37. Fumigation Services: Fumigation is done to eliminate unwanted insects, and weeds etc. It is a highly thriving and profitable business venture that is easy to set-up and manage. If you are looking towards starting a fumigation business, then you need to apply to the appropriate authority in Los Angeles to secure the required chemical handling permits and license.
38. Baking and Selling of Cookies Baking and selling of cookies are yet another thriving and profitable business that an aspiring entrepreneur who is interested in making money in a small town should consider starting; it is easier to learn how to bake cookies. All you need to do is to ensure that your cookies taste good and are well packaged. With that, you are likely not going to struggle to sell your cookies. It is a business that anybody including a teenager can successfully start Los Angeles
39. Buying and Selling On e-Bay: Buying and selling happens to be one of the easiest means of making money and one of the biggest online platforms that you can leverage on to make money buying and selling stuffs is e-bay. E-bay is an internet platform that you can sell your stuffs on.
All you need to do is to sign up for their services, play by their rules in listing your products and be extra careful when dealing with your clients. Just like most online businesses, your location has little or no influence on your business, so you can start this type of business in LA.
As an aspiring entrepreneur, you can successfully start this type of business with little cash and no experience in business. In test-running this type of business, you can start by buying and selling used books that are highly marketable.
40. Electronics Repair Shop: Opening an electronics repair shop is another money spinning business that an aspiring entrepreneur who is looking towards starting a business should consider starting. One good thing about this type of business is that you can learn the technical skills from someone who is already in the business or from a technical school. All you need to do is to rent a shop in a good location in Los Angeles and then setup your shop and advertise your electronics repair business.
41. Open a Microbrewery: Another thriving and profitable business venture that an aspiring entrepreneur who is looking towards starting a business in LA should consider starting is a microbrewery. A microbrewery or craft brewery as it is called in some quarters is a brewery (plant) that produces a small amount of beer per time; it is indeed a small scale brewery that can’t be compared to the conventional brewery plants and it is usually owned independently.
In order words, any entrepreneur that has some cash and brewing technique can comfortably start his or her own microbrewery business. Generally, the selling point for microbrewery is characterized by their emphasis on their unique flavor, the quality of their beer and their brewing technique.
42. Real estate rentals: in Los Angeles, the demand for businesses that offer property leasing services is on the increase. LA is one of the most populated places in the United States with a population of about 3.976 million people that will increase even more in coming years.
Short term house rental is usually more affordable for most people especially if they cannot afford to out rightly buy a house at the moment. You can make a lot of money by helping people find houses that are suitable for the rental needs.
43. Translation services: if you can read and write more than one language you can always monetize this skill to make money by offering to help people translate written and spoken words from one language to another. With the ever increasing number of non-English speakers in LA, translation services are a booming business. You can be an independent translator and offer your services on freelance websites or to businesses, schools, hospitals, courtrooms and conference centers.
44. Flower delivery services: flowers are not only for valentine alone, there are also many other occasions where you can give someone a bouquet of flowers. Providing residents of LA with home or door step delivery of flowers is also another way by which an entrepreneur can make money.
45. Event management: Los Angeles is one of the most socially active cities in the United States and as such events and social gatherings are a frequent occurrence. If you are skilled at organizing or managing events then you can turn this skill into a legitimate business and make money from it.
46. Day care: LA is a buzzing city with a lot of moms working as opposed to staying at home, thus it is necessary for them to find alternative means of taking care of their children when they are at work. You can even start a day care to cater for their needs right from home. However, for you be successful at this business, you will have to be good at taking care of kids and also you will need to have things to entertain the children with.
47. Errand services: from elderly people who are too weak to carry out some tasks; to young parents who have little children to take care of and as such are not chanced to do certain tasks themselves; to just plain lazy individuals, there are always people in need of help to run some errands in Los Angeles.
The errands may be domestic task around the home or even grocery shopping. You can get paid to carry out these errands by starting your very own errand service. You can also take your errand service online to be able to reach out to a wide range of people.
48. Web development: creation of websites and blogs is in very high demand. As a web developer, you can help people create, maintain and edit websites. If you are good at marketing your services, you will always have constant work. This is also a business you can start right from the comfort of your own home.