There are so many things to take into consideration when it has to do with how your restaurant will look. Aside from choosing what your chairs and tables will look like, you will have to first consider things like flooring.
There are indeed numerous options to pick from; however, it is pertinent to note that each one will come with its own unique benefits and disadvantages and you will have to extensively consider them to ensure you pick one that works best for your restaurant.
Don’t also forget to go with something that aligns with your budget, will stand the test of time, is easy to clean, and also fits your design aesthetic.
Best Flooring for Restaurant (Dining Area)
Just as was noted above, there are numerous options for you when considering the best flooring for the sitting area of your restaurant. Nevertheless, below are the top choices to consider;
This is indeed one of the best and most common choices owing to the durability it offers. This flooring is known to be very strong and easy to maintain. Aside from that, it can be very resistant to stains and damage from impacts, extremely versatile, and can be dyed or stained in a huge range of colors.
This flooring is the best choice for restaurants that also offer wines to clients. It comes with a sound-dampening nature that is useful in crowded spaces. Aside from that, its unique look will most definitely make your customer sitting area look classic. Also, note that it is eco-friendly and easy to clean and maintain. When properly sealed, it can be extremely durable.
Due to its durability and the unique ambiance it creates; this is another top choice to consider. Have it in mind that it can be utilized with just about any design aesthetic and is also quite easy to maintain. In addition, it can be refinished and re-stained to change the look.
This has proven to be a very valid option, especially for modern restaurants. Note that this flooring will definitely withstand the daily wear and tear your restaurant encounters due to high traffic. Also, note that its resin coating ensures that it is scratch-resistant, easy to clean, and resilient to spills. Aside from that, its low cost and flexibility make it a valid choice for large spaces.
This is a very sturdy floor coating that covers an existing concrete floor. It’s a wonderful option for restaurants with large spaces as it’s known to be durable and simple to maintain. It’s waterproof and eliminates the risk of mold or mildew.
Another popular option to consider, this flooring is known to be cost-effective, durable, and very good because it insulates sound and reduces echo. It as well provides a soft, safe surface to walk on and comes in a huge range of styles and price ranges and installation is a simple process.
This is a valid option to consider if your intentions are to design a high-end-looking Restaurant. This flooring can withstand heavy traffic as well as drops and spills. You will find that it also gives you many options, such as tiles made from granite and slate. Stone tiles also come in varying styles and can fit well in a wide array of décor themes.
Best Flooring for Restaurant Kitchen
Although not as much as your customer sitting area, but you should expect your kitchen area to be under a lot of pressure. As such, it is important you pay attention when choosing the ideal flooring for this area of your restaurant. Nonetheless, here are the top options to consider;
Epoxy floors are constructed by combining resin and hardener and then applying them to the existing base surface. Note that immediately after it solidifies or cures, the epoxy becomes a very sturdy, seamless, and glossy finish that is quite easy to maintain and can be overly durable.
Also, note that epoxy flooring offers you the platform to customize it with varying colors and designs, and this makes it a very valid alternative for modern restaurants.
Ceramic Tile Flooring
Tiles are indeed a very valid choice for a restaurant floor. Be it the customer sitting area or the kitchen area, note that they have proven to be durable, won’t get affected by splashes of water from the sink and can provide a neutral canvas, subtle detail, or enticing pattern for the room.
As a restaurant, it is imperative you go for ceramic, porcelain, or natural stone. However, when selecting a ceramic collection, take into consideration its durability, maintenance, and parameters: Anti-slip and abrasion resistance, stain and chemical resistance with proven attestations.
Concrete has proven to be a very good option for restaurant kitchen floors. Aside from the fact that it comes highly durable, have it in mind that it features a sturdy, flat, and seamless surface that won’t easily be damaged by heat or most impacts.
Also note that polished concrete can make your kitchen floor very attractive and, if well maintained, tends to last up to 10 years. This type of flooring is capable of handling heavy machinery and equipment.
Natural Stone Tile
This is indeed a very good option to consider for restaurant kitchen flooring, particularly if the workspace will be quite visible to customers since appearance is an utmost priority. This flooring is known to be durable and sturdy just like ceramic and quarry tile; however, it is known to have its own disadvantages.
For one, note that the installation cost can be quite high and will most definitely take days to finish. Also, note that it is high-maintenance and tends to necessitate frequent repairs or replacement of tiles. It can also be prone to stains and discoloration unless they’re sealed.
This flooring has long been used as kitchen flooring, howbeit, it has been proven to be a super choice for all of the areas of a restaurant. Note that this flooring is resistant to stains and water and quite durable. In addition, it is slip-resistant and insulates sound.
Also, note that its softness to a great extent eliminates the risk that dropped dishes will sustain damage. You can find it in a wide range of colors and styles such as solids and patterned designs. You can also decide to go for recycled rubber flooring as an eco-friendly alternative.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Flooring for Restaurant Lounge
When looking to make this very important decision, it is imperative you consider the following factors;
- High Traffic: Your restaurant needs high traffic to attain success; however, note that certain flooring options lack the ability to withstand the everyday stress of dozens (or more) of people moving across it, dropping things, and pushing chairs in and out repeatedly.
- Slip Resistant: You wouldn’t want anyone – employees or customers – getting hurt by falling on your floors. Although almost every type of flooring will get slippery when wet, it is important you avoid highly glossy or ultra-smooth surfaces that may lead to falls even when entirely dry.
- Waterproof: One thing to understand is that regardless of the expertise of your workers, spills will most definitely occur – and they might not always be cleaned up as soon as possible. Owing to that, ensure to go for a floor that can withstand moisture.
- Easy to Clean: Have in mind that your restaurant customer sitting area will need to be cleaned on a regular or near-daily basis. As such, the easier it is to clean and sanitize, the better it is for both you and your workers.
- Resistant to Wear & Tear: It will most definitely cost a fortune to put in place good flooring. Owing to that, you would want to ensure that whatever you choose will stand the test of time, and won’t easily show its age within just a few years.
- Dent Resistant: Same as with spills, your patrons are most likely going to drop things on your sitting area. Owing to that, make sure you avoid floors that dent easily – which will make your dining room look dirty and fade much more quickly.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Flooring for Restaurant Kitchen
Below are very vital factors to consider when choosing the best flooring for a restaurant kitchen area;
- Easy installation. It’s important to ensure that the flooring your pick for your kitchen area can be installed easily.
- Antimicrobial/hygienic. This is another very important factor because you will need kitchen floors that prevent water or liquids from getting into cracks and also serve as a shield against microbial infection.
- Slip resistance. Also, note that the ideal flooring for a restaurant kitchen needs to be slip-resistant — even when wet — to guarantee safe footing for your crew.
- It is important for your floors to have the ability to withstand a wide range of thermal shocks, such as spills of boiling cooking oil, water, and other liquids. It as well needs to be moisture tolerant.
- Easy maintenance. This is very necessary because you would want your floor to be easy to clean and sanitize, able to withstand frequent cleaning and scrubbing, with a watertight seal and non-porous surfaces.
Just as it was noted above, there are indeed numerous options to pick from; however, it is pertinent to note that each one will come with its own unique benefits and disadvantages and you will have to extensively consider them to ensure you pick one that works best for your restaurant.
Always have it in mind that the selection you make will provide a return on investment for years to come — as such it is pertinent to take your time when making your decision