Wayfair is a retail space for everything that has to deal with home: helping everyone, anywhere create their feeling of home.
Note that from offering top-notch customer service, to the creation of tools that guarantee a convenient shopping process, to ensure that they always carry one of the widest selections of items for every space, style, and budget, Wayfair strives to provide everyone with resources to create spaces that are just right for them.
This retail company sells over 18 million products across five websites. It boasts of at least 80 “house brands,” which are not actually brands but rather serve as a medium to categorize merchandise products into well-understood decorating aesthetics.
They don’t make any of the products they sell, instead when customers place an order; Wayfair acquires the item from one of its 11,000 suppliers, which then ships to the customer, though this happens in numerous ways. The primary objective of Wayfair is to ensure that everyone lives in a home they love.
By leveraging technology and innovation, they help shoppers to quickly and easily locate what they want from a vast range of items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares, and more. With a solid intention to delight customers every step of the way, Wayfair has reinvented how people search and shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, Wayfair employs approximately 18,000 people.
However, they generate revenue from commissions from each sale and advertising especially since they charge a fee to promote products and retailers on their website. Reports have it that the company generated $3.0 billion in net revenue for the three months ended March 31, 2022.
Steps to Get Wayfair Box Truck Contracts
Indeed, Wayfair is rapidly expanding its home delivery network. Owing to that and to ensure they always meet the varying needs of shoppers; they are constantly seeking companies that are interested in serving customers by delivering a wide range of specialty items and are also willing to grow their businesses along with the company. If you are one of those willing entrepreneurs, here are steps to take;
Table of Content
Register a Business
To work with or become a delivery partner with Wayfair, you first have to legally register your business. While this can be time-consuming, remember that it is not difficult to complete. You will need to choose a valid name for your box truck business. This is very crucial especially since your company name is your brand and will last for the lifetime of your business.
You should always go for a name that is meaningful and memorable. You will also need to select a legal structure for your box truck business and register it and your business name with the Secretary of State in each state where you operate your business.
Operating your box truck business as a properly structured corporation or Limited Liability Company (LLC) sets boundaries between your personal assets and business liabilities. Aside from protecting your personal property as a business owner, it also offers several legal, tax, and business advantages.
Obtain Licenses, Permits and Insurance
Even if your box truck does not require a CDL, note that you will still need some basic licensing and permits. While this requirement will vary from one state to another, you will most often be expected to apply to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) for a Motor Carrier (MC) Number.
Reports have it that this will cost around $300 and they have a 21-day vetting process. In addition, you should also obtain the appropriate insurance you need for this business and file a BOC-3 form, which more or less appoints a service of process agent in the states in which you will operate.
You will also need a Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) if you intend to carry out across-state lines deliveries for Wayfair and you will also need to get appropriate insurance for your box truck business.
Meet Wayfair Requirements
Box truck drivers or companies who are looking to deliver goods for Wayfair are expected to meet the following standards:
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Provide valid proof of identification and employment eligibility
- Have a clean MVR and be able to pass DOT Certification
- Have a valid State driver’s license (CDL A/B is not needed but a plus)
- Pass a background check and drug screening both before and during employment
- Show previous experience working with customers
- Valid experience operating a 16 – 26 ft. box truck or similar and able to pass an on-the-road driving test
- Show willingness to comply with Wayfair team policies including uniform policy
- Have the ability to maneuver 300+ lbs. of merchandise with MHE or other persons both within the warehouse and into the customer’s home
- Must be able to lift/maneuver 150 lbs. of merchandise on your own
- Healthy enough to sit for up to 8 hours per day
- Operate equipment used in moving furniture
- Carry out routine inspections and maintenance on vehicles
- Perform all duties in compliance with appropriate security and safety standards
Understand Wayfair Delivery Partner Duties
To work or partner with Wayfair as a home delivery partner, you will be expected to understand the following duties;
- Drive final mile routes (sometimes two-day routes), carry out product assembly, and perform warehouse tasks when required
- Align with customers to deliver freight to their homes at different levels of service
- Unload and load trucks with or without the assistance of dockworkers or MHE
- Adequately carry out loading and unloading to guarantee safety and to prevent damage to merchandise
- Work in a team environment positively promoting the company culture of customers first
- Willing to work flexible hours
- Adhere to DOT driving rules and regulations
- Establish positive relationships with warehouse staff and customers
- Ongoing development through training, manager feedback, and customer surveys
- Comply with company Core Values
- Stick to Wayfair Standard Operating Procedures
Apply to Become a Wayfair Delivery Partner
After the requirements noted above and understanding what your duties and roles will be with the company, you can visit the Wayfair Partner Page on their website to fill out the Partner Request Form or reach out to the company at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your application is successful, you will be invited to Wayfair Certified Interview Program which always strives to provide every candidate with a fair and equitable interview experience. In recent times, Wayfair has updated its interviewer training program and provided coaching based on candidate feedback around interviewer behavior to ensure that the process is easy for potential partners.
Also, note that the program includes behavioral interviewing and bias training. Once you scale through this interview, welcome to the world of Wayfair where steady work and deliveries are guaranteed to boost your company and business income.
Wayfair’s drop-shipping and automated business model is primarily to ensure that its cost structure is shortened and simplified.
Note that as the company ships its item directly from suppliers to customers and, thus, has no inventory, the biggest beneficiaries are trucking companies who work as delivery partners for the company. To become a delivery partner for Wayfair and obtain box truck contracts, ensure to follow the steps.