Are you about starting a laundry & dry cleaning business? If YES, here is a complete sample laundromat business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a laundromat business (coin laundry/self service). We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample laundromat marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for laundry service businesses. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
Table of Content
- Why Start a Laundry Service Business?
- Laundry Business Plan Executive Summary
- Our Services and Amenities
- Our Mission and Vision Statement
- Laundry Job Roles and Responsibilities
- Laundry SWOT Analysis
- MARKET ANALYSIS
- Our Target Market
- SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sales Forecast
- Publicity and Advertising Strategy
- Our Startup Expenditure (Budget)
- Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
Why Start a Laundry Service Business?
Hygiene is one important thing that must not be practiced with less seriousness; as a matter of fact, it has to be a frequent practice. One must take it really seriously, so as to avert bad odor and sickness; it is for this reason that one must keep things really clean.
This is also the reason why people love to wash their clothes. However, there are times when one might not have the luxury of time to the laundry. That is where the Laundromat business comes in. This is one business that people all over the world are beginning to key into because of the level of profitability which it promises.
If you are thinking to start in this line of trade, then that is a good idea. Good news is that you can choose to start on a small or large scale. This all depends on the capital which you have got to start the business Below is a sample Laundromat business plan.
A Sample Laundry Service Business Plan Template
- Industry Overview
In the united states of America and in most developed countries of the world, self-service laundry business which is popularly called Laundromat in the United States is rapidly an essential part of the urban life. This is so because in this age and time, 24 hours seems not to be enough, especially for people that work in the corporate world or even those who run their own businesses.
As the name implies, a self-service laundry or coin wash / laundry or Laundromat is a laundry facility where people come in to personally wash and dry their clothes; technically, customers provide their own labor and still pay the price for making use of the laundry equipment made available.
Customers have the option of paying with coins which is the popular payment option and they can also pay via swipe cards that subtract the cost of the wash or dry or even via mobile money. Despite the fact that customers provide their own labor, some Laundromat owners still employ people to man or provide assistance to customers.
It is normal to find Laundromats where operators are employed to man the day to day operations, as well as provide value added services like; helping customers iron their clothes, starch their clothes, and fold their clothes et al.
Usually when Laundromat hire employees, the core responsibility assigned to them is to man the counter, give directions to customers, sell washing powder, sell laundry bags, provide change and watch over the washing machines and other equipment in the Laundromat to guide against theft of the machines or even customer’s clothes.
Although the laundry industry can be said to be a competitive trade, but it does not in any way stop entrepreneurs who are creative to still make headway in the trade. It is indeed a profitable industry especially when the business is well located. No doubt busy cities with growing population might just be highly suitable for Laundromat. There are loads of people that patronize Laundromats; and they include; busy corporate executives, students, and even senior citizens.
In the bid to stay afloat in the highly competitive Laundromat business, owners of Laundromats now go the extra mile to ensure that they make their facilities welcoming and conducive for customers. As a result, Laundromats now have coffee bars, snack bars, cigar lounge, video games, children’s playground and free Wi-Fi connection, amongst others.
Over and above, any aspiring entrepreneur can comfortably start his or her own Laundromat business by acquiring an existing Laundromat and then refurbish it to meet the expected standard, or start the business from the scratch by constructing a new one and then equip it with the needed equipment and accessories.
The average startup cost for a standard Laundromat business is around $250,000 to $500,000. When starting your own Laundromat business, ensure that you choose a location where you can easily attract the kind of people that patronize Laundromat services.
Laundry Business Plan Executive Summary
Las Vegas City Laundromat is a registered Laundromat facility that was built to serve the people of Las Vegas- especially the busy corporate executives and students. Our Laundromat will be located in the heart of the city of Las Vegas which is less than 30 minute drive from McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas, and 10 minutes minute drive from Mandalay Bay Event Center.
We are strategically positioned in the world’s headquarter for casinos and games; a commercial center and we are set to services the whole of the community as well as visitors and travelers alike. Las Vegas City Laundromat is a standard Laundromat in a 6,000 square feet facility; we have one of the biggest Laundromats with the latest and easy to use washing machines and dryers.
Aside from welcoming customers to do their laundry chores at an affordable fee in our Laundromat, we have a conducive environment that will encourage them to always choose us as their number one choice. We have a coffee bar in our facility, we cigar lounge, we have children’s fun center and video games and snacks bar et al.
Our Laundromat will be open from 6 a.m. and close 10 p.m. from Mondays to Thursdays and will run a 24 hours service from Friday to Sunday. We decided to operate in this format because from our market survey and feasibility studies, we realized that customers usually do most of their laundry during weekends.
Las Vegas City Laundromat is a proud member of the Coin Laundry Association of America and we are well positioned to become one of the leading Laundromat facilities in the whole of Nevada. We will be providing our esteemed customers the right environment and equipment for them to comfortably do their laundry.
We will also provide additional services such as ironing, folding and packaging of clothes for our customers. Our attendants will always be available to change money, sell detergents and softeners et al. We are quite aware that in order to become the number one Laundromat in Nevada, we must continue to make our facility welcoming and relaxing and that is exactly what we will do.
We are open to the use of latest technology in the industry. No doubt our excellent customer service and the range of additional complementary services we offer will position us to become one of the leading Laundromats in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Las Vegas City Laundromat is owned and managed by Anthony Miller and family. The business will be financed by Mr. Miller and he will be actively involved in the day to day operation of the Laundromat. Mr. Anthony Miller has a B.Sc. in Business Administration and Management and he has well over 5 years of experience in the service industry.
Our Services and Amenities
Las Vegas City Laundromat is a standard Laundromat with state of the art facility specifically positioned to become the market leader in the industry. Our major purpose of starting this business is to provide a suitable and comfortable facility where people can easily do their laundries with little stress at an affordable fee.
Much more than providing a facility where people can do their laundries, we also offer complementary services; services that will get our customers hook to us. Bottom line is that we will go all the way to help our customers maximize their time when they patronize our Laundromat. These are the services and amenities that will be made available to our customers;
- Self – service washing
- Dry cleaning services
- Folding and packaging of clothes
- Home delivery services
- Coffee bar
- Cigar lounge
- Snack bar
- Children playground
- Video games
- Big screen movies
- Free Wi-Fi
Our Mission and Vision Statement
- Our Vision is to operate one of the most successfully Laundromat in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Our mission is to develop a highly successful and profitable Laundromat business with state of the art facility in the heart of Las Vegas, Nevada; a business that will not only meet the needs of her clients but also supersede their expectations.
Our Business Structure
Las Vegas City Laundromat is set to become one of the leading Laundromat businesses in the whole of Nevada, hence the need for us to build a solid business foundation and business structure that will enable us achieve our aims and objectives.
Excellent customer service and efficiency are top priority for us which is why we will ensure that we look for applicants that match the picture of the business who want to build before hiring them. Although we will provide trainings in areas such as excellent customers services et al, but we will ensure that we shortlist applicants that are customer centric.
In essence, we want to build a team, a dedicated workforce that will work together to help the organization achieve its set targets.
We will not only hire attendants that will help supervise our Laundromat and attend to customers need when they patronize our services, but we will also hire employees that will manage our coffee café, cigar lounge, snacks bar, and our children’s play grounds et al. Las Vegas City Laundromat will employ customer centric and skilled people to occupy the following position;
- Manager (Owner)
- Accountant / Cashier
- Marketing Officer
- Laundromat Attendant
- Coffee Café and Snacks Bar Manager
- Cigar Lounge Manager
- Children’s Play Ground Manager
- Security Guard
Laundry Job Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Creates, communicates, and implements the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- Responsible for fixing prices and signing business deals
- Responsible for recruitment
- Responsible for payment of salaries
- Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization
- Responsible for managing the daily activities at the Laundromat
- Ensures that the facility is in tip top shape and conducive enough to welcome customers
- Interfaces with vendors
- Prepares budget and reports for the organization
- Responsible for Training and Development in the organization
- Handles procurement
- Defines job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Carries out staff induction for new team hires
Marketing Officer (2)
- Develops, executes and evaluates new plans for expanding increase sales
- Documents all customer contact and information.
- Represents the company in strategic meetings
- Helps increase sales and growth for the company
- Manages the company’s CRM system
- Identifies, prioritizes, and reaches out to new partners, and business opportunities et al
Coffee Café and Snacks Bar Manager:
- Interacts with customers, take orders for coffee and snacks.
- Responsible for preparing different flavor and style of coffee for customers
- Makes lists of supplies in conjunction with the bar manager
- Ensures that each cup of coffee that leaves the kitchen is tailor made and meet the request of each customer
- Responsible for quality control
- Assesses customers’ needs and preferences and make recommendations
- Makes lists of supplies in conjunction with the management
- Prepares inventory or purchase requisitions as needed to replenish supplies.
- Ensures that the assigned bar area is fully equipped with tools and products needed for Mixing beverages and serving guests.
Cigar Lounge Manager
- Responsible for managing the cigar lounge
- Assesses customers’ needs and preferences and make recommendations
- Makes lists of supplies in conjunction with the management
- Prepares inventory or purchase requisitions as needed to re – stock the lounge.
- Clears ashtrays regularly
- Ensures that the assigned lounge area is fully equipped with tools and products needed to by our clients
Accountant / Cashier:
- Moves round the machines to collect payment after each working shift
- Prepares financial report at the end of every working week
- Handles all financial transaction on behalf of the company
- Interfaces with our bankers
- Responsible for payment of tax, levies and utility bills
- Handles any other duty as assigned by the manager
- Mans the various washing machines and dryers
- Assists customers as required by them especially on how to operate our machines
- Provides change for customers
- Sells detergent and softener to customers
- Ensures that the Laundromat is clean and ready to welcome customers at all times
- Responsible for ironing and folding of clothes based on demand
- Maintains a clean working area by sweeping, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning of glass doors and windows et al.
- Ensures that toiletries and supplies don’t run out of stock
- Handles and move objects, such as waste baskets, clothe rack and hand dryer et al
- Handles special request like pick up and home delivery
- Handle any other duty as assigned by the manager
Children’s Play Ground Manager
- Responsible for managing children’s play ground
- Ensures that the children are safe and happy
- Makes recommendation for purchase of children’s toys and video games
- Handles any other duty as assigned by the manager
- Mops the floors
- Wipes down the machines
- Cleans the soap dispensers in your front-load washers
- Washes off the folding tables
- Cleans the bathroom
- Empties the trash
- Washes the windows
- Cleans the vending machines, change machines and video game screens
- Ensures that the facility is secured at all time
- Controls traffic and organize parking
- Gives security tips to staff members from time to time
- Patrols around the building on a 24 hours basis
- Submits security reports weekly
- Handles any other duty as assigned by the restaurant manager
Laundry SWOT Analysis
No doubt starting a Laundromat is indeed capital intensive, especially for aspiring entrepreneurs who may not have huge sum of money saved up in a bank. We are aware that it will require loads of cash to set up a standard Laundromat business in Las Vegas, which is why we decided to do all that is required to build a profitable business; we don’t intend to invest our hard earned money in a business that we know we are not truly cut out for.
One of the tools that is required to position us in building a successful Laundromat business is SWOT Analysis.
We hired the services of Mr. Coleman Carrington, an HR and Business consultant who is based in Las Vegas, Nevada, to help us conduct SWOT analysis and draft a laundromat marketing plan for our company and he did a pretty good job for us. Here is a of the result we got from the SWOT analysis that was conducted on behalf of Las Vegas City Laundromat, Las Vegas, Nevada;
Las Vegas City Laundromat is centrally located in a densely populated area in Las Vegas; our location is in fact one of our major strengths. Aside from the basic service that we offer, we also offer complimentary services that most of our competitors do not offer. Our Laundromat facility is located inside a very big facility. We have the latest washing machines, dryers and equipment and our attendants are well groomed to handle various classes of customers.
The weakness of Las Vegas City Laundromat could be the fact that it is a new business, which is owned by an individual (a small family), and we may not have the financial capacity to sustain the kind of publicity that can give us leverage.
We are centrally located in one of the busiest areas in Las Vegas and we are open to all the available opportunities that the city has to offer. Our business concept has also positioned us to attract people who like doing their laundries and catching some fun at the same time. Las Vegas is one of the densely populated cities in the United States, and indeed the population translates to opportunities.
One of the major threats that confronts businesses all over the world is economic downturn; when the economy is bad it affects consumers spending which in turn impacts businesses negatively. Another threat that we are likely going to face to confront us is the emergence of a new Laundromat within the same location where Las Vegas City Laundromat is located.
- Market Trends
The ability for business owners to continue to re – invent itself is key to the success of the business. In the laundry industry especially in the U.S., it is trendy to see laundry companies and Laundromats that add additional complementary services to their business offerings.
Once a Laundromat is conducive and relaxing, it sure attracts customers. This is the strategy that helps Laundromat attract customers. This is why Laundromats are now building kids’ fun centers, holding music concerts, karaoke, selling coffee, snacks, and tobacco and hiring attendants who are friendly and helpful.
As a matter of fact, loads of Laundromat owners now realize that they can increase business by providing a play area for children to play. It is encouraging for parents to bring their kids and get them hooked with fun in the playground under the care of a competent employee, whilst they do their laundries.
It is important to state that despite the fact that the trends mentioned above are favorable to Laundromat owners, this does not in any way suggest that the business is booming. The Laundromat industry is what experts describe as a “mature market.”Except for areas where that are highly populated; it is easier to find one or more laundry businesses/ Laundromats in same area in most cities in the U.S.
Our Target Market
Before choosing a location for our Laundromat business, we conducted our feasibility studies and market survey and we were able to identify those who will benefit greatly from our service offerings which is why we deiced to settle for Las Vegas.
Essentially, those who will benefit from our service offering are busy corporate executives, business owners, households, students and travelers / visitors. These are the category of people that we intend marketing our Laundromat business to;
- Busy Corporate Executives
- Business Owners
- Visitors / Travelers
- Sport clubs
Our competitive advantage
From our recently concluded feasibility studies and market survey, we observed that there are several laundry businesses scattered all over the city of Las Vegas, as a matter of fact, there are two or more laundry / Laundromats in same locations in some areas. This goes to show that there are stiffer competition in the industry.
Before launching our Laundromats, we have critically studied the market and we know that we have some form of competitive edge. Our competitive advantage is that we have a standard Laundromat facility that offers additional complementary services that will definitely help us attract and retain customers.
Las Vegas City Laundromat can boast of having state of the art Laundromat facility with latest and easy to use laundry machines (washing machines, dryers, industrial irons et al). We specifically, we leased a big facility, so as to enable us achieve our aim of building a well – equipped children’s playground, coffee and snacks café, cigar lounge amongst others.
SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
The marketing strategy for Las Vegas City Laundromat is going to be driven basically by making available standard and safe Laundromat facility, excellent customer service and provision of complimentary services. We will work hard to build a loyal customer base; customers that will always patronize us over and over again and as well help us use word of mouth publicity to get their friends and acquaintance to patronize us.
We want to drive sales via making available easy to use washing machines, dryers and industrial irons et al. We are quite aware of how satisfied customers drive business growth especially businesses like Laundromat which is why we will always ensure that our customer service and facility are top notch.
Over and above, our unique selling proposition is that we have various complementary service offerings such as coffee café, snacks bar, cigar lounge; children play ground, ironing, folding and packaging, pickup and home delivery, and sale of detergents, laundry bags and other useful laundry products.
In view of that, we are going to adopt the following strategies to ensure that we do not only attract customers but ensure that they become loyal customer; Part of the marketing and sales strategies that we will adopt are;
- Open our Laundromat business with a party and free trial for all our visitors for the first three days of launching the business.
- Advertise our Laundromat business on national dailies, local TV stations and local radio station
- Promote our Laundromat business online via our official website and all available social media platforms
- Continuously Improving the performance of our brands
- Hire the services of experts to make our brands the first choice for in Las Vegas
- Delivering consistent customer experiences to all our guest; making our first impression count positively
- Make use of attractive hand bills to create awareness and also to give direction to our Laundromat.
- Adopt direct mailing coupon marketing approach
- Position our signage / flexi banners at strategic places
- Create a loyalty plan that will enable us reward our regular customers
- Engage on road shows within our neighborhood to create awareness for our Laundromat business.
Sources of Income
Las Vegas City Laundromats will generate income from the following service offerings;
- Self – service laundry jobs
- Ironing, folding and packaging of clothes
- Sale of detergents, laundry bags and other useful laundry products
- Sale of Coffee
- Sales of Snacks
- Pickup and Home delivery
- Cigar Lounge
It is important to state that our sales forecast is based on the data gathered during our feasibility studies and also some of the assumptions readily available on the field with reference to similar business in Las Vegas.
We know that we are well positioned and we will definitely attract clients that will not only patronize our Laundromat but clients that will patronize our coffee care and snacks bar, and cigar lounge et al meaning that we will generate additional income from these sources. Below is the sales projection for Las Vegas City Laundromat, it is based on the location of our Laundromat and the type of services and products that we will be offering;
- First Year-: $80,000
- Second Year-: $120,000
- Third Year-: $180,000
N.B: This projection is done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any Laundromat offering same additional services like us within 4.5 miles radius from our Laundromat facility.
- Our Pricing Strategy
At Las Vegas City Laundromat, our pricing system is going to be based on what is obtainable in the industry, we don’t intend to charge more (except for premium and customized services) and we don’t intend to charge less than our competitors are offering in Las Vegas.
Be that as it may, the management of Las Vegas City Laundromat have put plans in place to offer discount services once in a while and also to reward our loyal customers especially when they refer clients to us. The prices of our products (snacks, cup of coffee, cigar, detergents et al) will be same as what is obtainable in any part of the United States of America.
- Payment Options
Basically, we have made provisions for our washing machines and dryers to accept coins, but that does not in any way restrict us from receiving payments from other options especially for our complimentary service offerings. In other words, our payment policy is going to be all inclusive because we are quite aware that different people prefer different payment options as it suits them. Here are the payment options that will be available in every of our pub;
- Payment by cash /coins
- Payment via Point of Sale (POS) Machine
- Payment via online bank transfer (online payment portal)
- Payment via Mobile money
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will help us achieve our payment plans without any difficulty.
Publicity and Advertising Strategy
We are aware of the power of publicity and advertisement for new businesses like ours which is why we created a budget that will help us access various publicity and advertising platforms that will enable us reach out to our potential market.
At Las Vegas City Laundromat, will ensure that we leverage on all conventional and non – conventional publicity and advertising technique to promote our Laundromat business. Here are the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote and advertise Las Vegas City Laundromat;
- Encourage our loyal customers to help us use Word of Mouth mode of advertisement (referrals)
- Advertise our Laundromat business in relevant magazines (America Coin – Op, and Journal Coin Laundry News et al), local newspaper, local TV stations and local radio station.
- Promote our Laundromat business online via our official website
- List our Laundromat business on local directories (yellow pages)
- Sponsor relevant community programs
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Facebook , twitter, et al to promote our brand
- Install our Bill Boards on strategic locations
- Direct coupon mailing approach
- Engage in road show from time to time
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas all around Las, Vegas.
Our Startup Expenditure (Budget)
This is the key areas where we will spend our start – up capital on;
- The Total Fee for Registering the Business in Las Vegas, Nevada – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses (Health department license and business license) and permits (Fire department permit, Air and water pollution control permit, and Sign permit et al) – $4,500.
- Marketing promotion expenses (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of $3,580.
- Cost for hiring Consultant – $2,000.
- Insurance (general liability, theft, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $30,800.
- Cost of accounting software, CRM software and Payroll Software – $3,000
- Cost for leasing facility for the Laundromat – $70,000.
- Cost for facility remodeling – $50,000.
- Other start-up expenses including stationery – $1000
- Phone and Utilities (gas, sewer, water and electric) deposits – ($3,500).
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $40,000
- The cost for Start-up inventory – $15,000
- Storage hardware (bins, utensil rack, shelves, glasses case) – $2,720
- The cost for Washer hook-up fees (sewer connection) – $800
- Cost for serving area equipment for coffee café and snacks bar ( glasses, flatware) – $5,000
- Cost for laundry machines and equipment (washing machines, dryers, industrial irons, ironing board et al ) – $100,000
- The cost for the purchase of furniture and gadgets (, Printers, Telephone, TVs, Sound System, video games, toys, vacuum cleaner, tables and chairs et al) – $30,000.
- The cost of Launching a Website – $600
- The cost for our grand opening party – $5,500
- Miscellaneous supplies (cleaning supplies, soap, invoices for wash-and-fold, bathroom supplies, etc.) – $10,000
We would need an estimate of $1 million to successfully launch our Laundromat business in Las Vegas Nevada. Please note that the startup cost is higher than the average startup cost for a Laundromat business simply because we intend adding coffee café, snacks bar, cigar lounge and children’s playground.
Generating Funding / Startup Capital for Las Vegas City Laundromat
Las Vegas City Laundromat is a family business and it will be financed by the owner who is also the Laundromat manager. These are the areas where we intend sourcing for fund for Las Vegas City Laundromat;
- Generate part of the start – up capital from personal savings and sale of his stocks
- Generate part of the start – up capital from family members and friends (soft loans)
- Generate a larger chunk of the startup capital from the bank.
Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
Las Vegas City Laundromat is set to become the number Laundromat business in the whole of Nevada which is why we took our time to craft out business plan that will help us sustain the business , as well as grow the business. Part of the plans we have in place to sustain our Laundromat is that we will have efficient machines and equipment.
We will also continue to deliver quality services, improvise on how to do things faster and cheaper. We are not going to relent in providing conducive environment for our workers and also the required trainings that will help them deliver excellent services at all times.
We are quite aware that our customers are key component to the growth and survival of our business hence we are going to continuously engage them to give us ideas on how to serve them better. We will not waste time in diversifying our services; expand our products and service offerings once the need arises.
Check List / Milestone
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit licenses (Health department license and business license, Fire department permit, Air and water pollution control permit, and Sign permit et al): Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Acquiring facility and remodeling the facility: In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- writing of business plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Graphic Designs and Printing of Packaging Marketing / Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of laundry machines and equipment (washing machines, dryers, industrial irons, ironing board et al ): In Progress
- Purchase of furniture and gadgets (Printers, Telephone, TVs, Sound System, video games, toys, vacuum cleaner, tables and chairs et al): In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: Completed
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and in the neighborhood: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Opening party / launching party planning: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – suppliers of all our needed laundry accessories, drinks, and tobacco et al: In Progress
- 1000+ Most Profitable Franchise Opportunities for Beginners - November 14, 2020
- Types of Legal Structure for Registering a Business - November 14, 2020
- How to Do Due Diligence for Assisted Living Facility On Sale - November 3, 2020