Are you about starting a pet bottle recycling business? If YES, here is a complete sample pet bottle recycling business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE. Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a pet bottle recycling business. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample pet bottle recycling marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for pet bottle recycling businesses. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
Table of Content
- 2. Executive Summary
- 5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
- 6. SWOT Analysis
- 7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- 13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
Why Start a Pet Bottle Recycling Business?
Starting a pet bottle recycling business can be regarded as a very enterprising and lucrative business that is also regarded by individuals, businesses, non-governmental organizations as well as the government as an eco-friendly kind of business, especially as it ensures that fewer natural resources are being used by manufacturing and production companies. To start a pet bottle recycling business, you would require knowledge on where to source for the materials to be used in recycling and where to sell off the finished recycled bottles.
Conducting a feasibility study is very important before going into this kind of business and it is best to hire a business consultant who has vast knowledge of the industry and will therefore look into your business concept to know if you have the needed capacity to start the business or if you would be throwing away your resources and wasting your time.
Another important factor that must be considered before starting the business is a business plan. Writing a comprehensive business plan that will include financial analysis might be intimidating, but asides hiring a business plan writer to write out a business plan for you; you can also go online to source for a free template that should guide you into writing a business plan. Below is one of such sample for a pet bottle recycling business;
A Sample Pet Bottle Recycling Business Plan Template
1. Industry Overview
According to research, recycling helps save 66% of energy that would have been lost if manufacturing plastic bottles from the scratch. This is the reason mist manufacturing companies are opting for pet recycled bottles in use to produce drinks, toys, bags amongst other things.
According to IBIS World, the recycling industry has a net worth of $5 billion and there has been a 5.5% growth from between 2011 to 2016, with the projection estimated to be better in the next five years. There are about 1,500 recycling facilities in the united states of America, employing more than 23,000 people.
This industry is playing a vital role in the society especially as regards the future of the earth. This is because according to facts, more than 1 trillion tons of wastes are being generated by industries and households. The pet bottle recycling market is on a steady rate and is being projected to being steadier in the future. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), 3.8 barrels of crude oil is conserved when one ton of plastic is recycled.
Globally, the overall recycling industry is worth $410 billion and markets are being started in developing worlds such as Asia, Latin America and Africa, especially as governments have begun to be interested in what happens to the earth and have started encouraging recycling ventures. The recycling market is also booming in other developed worlds as North America has the largest market share in the recycling industry with the United States having the largest share market.
The plastic bottle recycling market is classified according to the type of plastic material such as Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET), high-density polyethylene (HDPE) and Polypropylene (PP) with PET being the most recycled plastic material.
The reasons why the recycling industry is gaining so much information is due to the fact that it is in line with the objectives environmentalists and various responsible governments of nations in ensuring that there is less greenhouse gas emissions and degradation.
Bottles thrown away usually becomes buried in the earth and are shielded from sunlight therefore making decomposition impossible which is why recycling companies are being supported by the governments.
2. Executive Summary
Green Life pet bottle recycling business is established, licensed and based in Portland – Oregon to make profit and favorably compete with its competitors all around Oregon as well throughout the United States of America. Our aim of establishing the company is not to only make profit but to ensure that we contribute our own quota to the environment and by extension the earth.
Our location here in Portland is not only strategic but is also highly suitable for the kind of business we intend to run, as we are on the outskirts of town that is also easily accessible to our staff and clients. The intention of Green Life pet bottle recycling company is to recycle pet bottles and provide raw materials for manufacturing and production companies that need pet bottles.
Our goal is to provide quality recycled pet bottles that are eco-friendly and in this effort be the preferred pet bottle recycling business for all our clients not only here in Oregon but all over the United States of America as well.
We take our business structure quite seriously ad to this effect we intend to hire employees who are not only competent but have the right knowledge and experience necessary to ensure that we attain our desired goals and objectives.
We will ensure that our employees undergo continuous trainings that will not only enhance their skills but improve productivity for the company. We will also ensure that our employees have the best welfare packages comparable to other start-ups such as ours in the industry.
We know how important having an excellent customer care is and how beneficial it is to the organization. Already, we are being recognized for our standard and proactive customer care services and yet we intend to do more in ensuring that we maintain our standards and keep being the best at what we do.
Finally, the business is owned and run by Mr. Edward Cohack and Engr. John Cusack. Mr. Edward Cohack is a Harvard graduate and has over 25 years of managerial experience in manufacturing as well as recycling companies. Engr. John Cusack is and engineering graduate who has developed several patented machines for recycling industries and has over 15 years of experience in manufacturing. These two business partners have the required experience and expertise needed to ensure that the company attains its desired level and goals.
3. Our Products and Services
At Green Life pet bottle recycling company, we intend to deal in various products and services in addition to our core service, which is recycling quality pet bottles for sale in an environmentally friendly environment.
Our aim of establishing this business is to ensure that we create a source of income that can be multiplied into several streams in order to boost the bottom line of our company. We also intend to offer consultancy services and trainings and also be distributors for excess bottles to other recycling companies.
All our sources of income are all under the permissible laws of the United States of America. Listed below are some of the products and services we intend to offer;
- Sale of cleaned and recycled pet bottles
- Sale of extruded roll stock sheet
- Sale of extruded strapping
- Distributors of post consumer beverage bottles
- Consultancy services
4. Our Mission and Vision Statement
- Our vision is to be known for our environmentally friendly methods in recycling our pet bottles all over the United States of America, and to generate enough revenue in order to ensure that our investors make a significant return on their investment.
- In order to achieve this vision, we intend to ensure that we not only maintain a conducive and creative work environment but that we also hire competent and experienced employees to ensure that we attain our desired goals and objectives.
Our Business Structure
Due to the standard of pet bottle recycling business we intend running, we know how important it is that we get our business structure right from the beginning in order to be able to reach our desired goals and objectives with as few hitches as possible.
It is for this aim that we intend to ensure that we source for and get only competent and hardworking employees into the different positions in our company to handle the various responsibilities that would be assigned.
At Green Life pet bottle recycling company, we intend to hire those with the experience and commitment required to help us achieve our vision. We know that getting the best would require committing financial resources and we are ready to do this. Our pay packages for our employees are amongst the best in similar start-ups such as our across the industry in the whole country and this is due to the fact that we take our business very seriously.
Asides from being paid well, we also intend to ensure that our employees work in an environment that is not only free, conducive and easily accessible but one that is also eco-friendly. We also intend to ensure that our employees undergo various trainings at specific points in time in order to enhance their productivity and their skills as well.
Therefore the business structure we intend to build at Green Life pet bottle recycling company is;
- President (Chief executive Officer)
- Vice President (Chief Operating Officer)
- Chief Financial Officer
- General and Administrative Manager
- Human Resources Manager
- Production Manager
- Plant Manager
- Purchasing Manager
- Maintenance Team
- Sales and Marketing Executives
- Customer Service Executives
- Security Guard
- Truck Drivers
5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
President (Chief executive Officer)
- Develops strategies that would provide direction for the company
- Communicates and ensures that the company’s overall visions and missions are well implemented
- Drafts and reviews the overall budget for the organization
Vice President (Chief Operating Officer)
- Meets with high level clients on behalf of the organization
- Ensures that the recycling plant operates at best standards
- Makes important decisions on behalf of the company
Chief Financial Officer
- Prepares financial budgets, reports and statements on behalf of Green Life pet bottle recycling company
- Ensures that the organization is tax compliant
- Carries out financial forecasting and risks analysis
General and Administrative Manager
- Ensures that the administrative tasks for organization runs smoothly
- Ensures that office supplies are checked and re-stocked
- Ensures that the policies of the organization are adequately implemented
Human Resources Manager
- Sources for and recruits new and competent employees on behalf of the organization
- Responsible for staff training and performance appraisals
- Responsible for staff welfare packages
- Ensures that the materials are produced and recycled according to organization’s standard
- Ensures that the quality is maintained at all times
- Ensures that production quota is being met
- Responsible for ensuring that the recycling machines to be used are correctly installed
- Ensures that the operations of the recycling machines are within its operating standard for optimum efficiency
- Carries out light maintenance on the recycling machines
- Sources for materials to be used in recycling the pet bottles
- Ensures that the vendors and distributors are reliable and ensures that back-up vendors are in place
- Drafts, negotiate and review the contract with distributors and vendors on behalf of the organization
- Carries out maintenance tasks on the recycling machines and other equipment
- Oversees the correct installations of the recycling machines
- Install new parts for defective recycling machines
Sales and Marketing Executives
- Conducts continual market research in order to attract new customers for the organization whilst retaining the old ones
- Develops new plans for increasing sales and ensuring that the sales and marketing targets are met and exceeded
- Use customers feedback to determine effective marketing policies
Customer Service Executives
- Attends to clients’ enquiries in a prompt and polite manner
- Stays abreast of current information and industry trends so as to pass along accurate information to clients
- Keep an accurate database of customers and reviews on a continuous basis on behalf of the company
- Ensures that the premises and property of the organization are secured at all times
- Monitors the surveillance cameras daily
- Scrutinizes incoming and outgoing staff and clients in and out of the organization
- Ensure that raw and recycled materials are correctly loaded and offloaded
- Ensure that the routes are planned and the safest and fastest routes are picked to deliver and pick up materials
- Carries out inspection on the trucks and effects light repairs and maintenance where necessary
- Ensures that the organizational premises is kept clean and maintained at all times
- Ensures that cleaning supplies are always in stock
- Carries out any other duties as might be determined by the Human Resources Manager
6. SWOT Analysis
Due to our high degree for excellence and quality in starting and running our pet bottle recycling business, we have engaged the services of a reputable business consulting business here in Portland – Oregon that understands the market and industry to help us take a critical look at our business concept and determine what it would take for us to be able to run the business successfully, and if what we had was good enough to start off the business, compete favorably, generate revenue and eventually profit and also take it to our intended desired goals and objectives.
In taking stock of our business concept, the SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) analysis were used in order to help us better understand what we were likely to face during the course of starting and running the business successfully.
Below is a breakdown of the analysis that was conducted on behalf of Green Life Bottle Recycling Company here in Portland – Oregon;
Our strength lies in the fact that we have been able to secure a supply contract with major clients in our target market. We have laid down policies and strategies to ensure that we meet with the demand for our products even if it were to increase at a short notice.
Also, we have an excellent business structure where competent and experienced employees who understand the business and have industry knowledge on how to grow the business have been sourced for and recruited by us. Also, we have an excellent and strong management team who all collectively have an extensive and industry specific experience and who are also attuned to the vision of our company.
Finally, our President and Vice President, has over 40 years experience in the plastic converting and manufacturing industry and have worked in different managerial and technical positions and will therefore bring forth their experiences in order to ensure the business attains its goals and objectives.
The weaknesses we are likely to face in this market is that of saturation which might lead to there being less markets for our products, we have however conducted market research for our products, and have identified several markets for our products. Another weakness is in the arrival of a major competitor in our location, we are however prepared to handle this as we have laid down commitments with our identified target markets.
There are several opportunities that abound for us in this industry as our nearness to the target market means we will be able to sell all that we produce. Also, statistics for this industry has shown that we are poised to have a huge share of the market once we have perfected our publicity and advertising strategies.
Every business faces threats at every point in time, either during start-up or while the business is in operation; and so we at Green Life have gone through the threats we are likely to face starting this business, and have laid out proactive measures to handle these threats.
The threats we are likely to face are scarce raw material for production, however we have created back-up sources for when we encounter scarcity. Another threat is likely to stem from using unreliable technology in cleaning and recycling the pet bottles, however we intend to stick to technology that has been commercially proven.
7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
The bottle recycling business is one that serves a dual purpose because not only is it a lucrative business, it is also a business that is regarded as environmentally friendly. The business is also one that receives support from the government as well as other agencies that are eco-friendly. This is why any serious entrepreneur going into the business can begin to rake in profit from within 3 – 6 months.
One important factor in this business is having to source for the raw materials and more often than not, recycling companies usually set up various bottle collection points, whilst also sourcing for other means in which to get the raw materials in the case, enough hasn’t been collected at a certain period.
This business is also one that inculcates education as consumers have to be taught on the benefits of recycling. Asides from individual consumers, manufacturing companies have also begun to see the benefits of using recycled materials for the production of their company as opposed to using raw materials.
These two reasons are why the recycling industry has boomed and is growing on a continual basis, and becoming more lucrative for innovative entrepreneurs especially those that have devised a strategy to gain a huge share of the market.
Lastly, improving technologies has played a huge role in this industry as materials are not only recycled faster and more efficiently, but also have more quality to them. Also, the use of the internet has increased awareness and enlightenment for recycled products. Also, ensuring that the recycled materials are produced in an environmentally friendly environment and state has been made possible by technology.
8. Our Target Market
Before starting off our pet bottle recycling business, we conducted a market research so as to be able to be certain of the type of customers we are to expect from our target market and what they expect from us here at Green Life pet bottle recycling company. The market research was conducted by a reputable business consultant here in Portland – Oregon and took several factors into consideration.
The result we got from the market research has helped us to draft suitable strategies based on our strategic location and edge in the industry that will allow us gain a huge share of the market. From the result, we found that we were in business to sell our products and services to the following groups of clients;
- Chemical manufacturing companies
- Manufacturers and distributors
- Food and drinks processing and packaging companies
- Other allied recycling existing businesses and start-ups
Our competitive advantage
Our vision whilst starting Green Life pet bottle recycling business is so to ensure that we recycle quality pet bottles under an environmentally friendly environment and be known all over the United States of America for our quality production and sound business structure. This vision has already given us the required competitive edge we need against our competitors in the industry.
First off, we intend to ensure that we are guided by the best practices in the industry and that our recycling plant is built in accordance with modern technology befitting for these times.
Another competitive advantage is in hiring competent employees who are certified and highly trained in their various fields and who also understand the business and by large the industry, to fill in the different positions that would be required by the company.
Our employees are not only going to be working in a conducive and environmentally safe environment but will also be well paid as their welfare package is the best across similar start-ups in this category in the whole of the United States of America.
Finally, we are running the best customer care service as can be found in the industry. Our customer care executives are well trained to positively project the image of the company and are also knowledgeable as regards industry trends.
9. SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
Green Life Recycling Company is an establishment whose aim is to generate revenue and make enough profit to not only boost the bottom line and sustain the business for eventual growth and expansion, but also allow us compete favorably with our competitors in the same location and industry.
Asides, our core service, we intend to engage in other services that will generate more income for the company. Therefore, Green Life Recycling Company intends to generate income through the sales of these products and offering of these services;
- Sale of cleaned and recycled pet bottles
- Sale of extruded roll stock sheet
- Sale of extruded strapping
- Distributors of post consumer beverage bottles
- Consultancy services
10. Sales Forecast
The bottle recycling business is such that would always provide raw materials for production and manufacturing companies, which means that there will always be demand for the products.
Our strategic position in Portland – Oregon has us quite optimistic of the fact that we will reach our intended target generation goals on time during our first year of business and then grow the business from that point.
Our critical evaluation of this industry has led us into analyzing our chances, based on similar start-ups in our location here in Portland – Oregon as well as some assumptions during the time of research and allowing us to come up with the following sales forecast.
Therefore below are the sales projections for Green Life pet bottle recycling business;
- First Fiscal Year-:$3,000,000
- Second Fiscal Year-: $6,000,000
- Third Fiscal Year-: $11,000,000
N.B: It should be noted that the above sales projections were done based on the obtainable facts in the industry, and certain assumptions. A change in the assumptions will mean that the figures will either decrease or increase.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
Having the right sales and marketing strategies is very important to us especially as we marketing is the sole means of increasing awareness for our brand that would result in generating revenue for Green Life pet bottle recycling company. Therefore we intend to conduct a marketing research before drafting our marketing strategies so that we could draft the right strategies that would be effective for our business in the long and short run.
Our aim is to ensure that we deliver on our corporate goals and achieve our intended vision, which is why our marketing strategies would not only allow us penetrate the market but also allow us gain a huge share of the market here in Portland – Oregon as well as all around the United States of America.
We have hired reputable and experienced marketing consultants based here in Portland – Oregon, who understand the industry and know the right marketing strategies that would suit our business.
Our sales and marketing team are not only the best the industry has to offer with several years of professional experience but have also been empowered to ensure that all marketing strategies are in line with our corporate goals and will further promote our brand positively to our customers.
Therefore some of the marketing and sales strategies we intend to adopt at Green Life pt bottle recycling company are;
- Send a formal letter of introduction introducing potential clients and major stakeholders in the industry of our pet bottle recycling company
- Engage in direct marketing
- Place advertisements for our business in local and national newspapers, on online forums and websites, as well as on radio and television stations
- Ensure that our business is listed in offline and online directories
- Use our social media platforms – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google Plus to vigorously market our business
- Attend relevant events, seminars and trade fairs and use the opportunity to network with relevant and potential customers.
11. Publicity and Advertising Strategy
The pet bottle recycling business is one that needs a lot of intense publicity and advertisement in order to get the attention of the target market and get the required customers we would need for our business. Publicity is also necessary in order for Green Life pet bottle recycling company to favorably compete with other leading brands here in Portland – Oregon and in the whole of the United States of America as well.
We intend to deploy a publicity mix in getting the interest of our target market and due to this have employed the services of a reputable branding consultant to help us draft publicity strategies that would be highly beneficial to us here in Portland – Oregon and also when we intend to venture into other cities in the United States of America. The publicity strategies will also help to promote and positively communicate our brand to the target market.
Therefore the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote our Green Life pet bottle recycling business here in Portland – Oregon are;
- Install our billboards in strategic locations here in Portland as well as all around Memphis
- Ensure that we place adverts via newspapers both local and national, magazines, online forums and in radio and television stations
- Engage in and sponsor relevant programs in the community where our plant is located
- Use our website and social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Google Plus, and Twitter in order to promote our brand
- Create customized clothes for all our staffs and also ensure that our trucks are well branded with our unique logos and color
- Send out press releases monthly on the benefits of recycling and its impact on the environment
12. Our Pricing Strategy
Setting a price on our recycled pet bottles will depend on certain factors such as the size of the bottle, how we sourced for the bottles, what our competitors are offering and the final packaging. Other factors to be considered are our operating expenses, our overheads as well as freight and shipping costs. This means that we would need to employ a detailed strategy in setting the right price for our recycled pet bottles.
Due to the fact that we are relatively new to the industry, we know how important it is to ensure that our target market is aware of our existence and to this effect; we intend to lower the prices for our recycled pet bottle sin the first three months of operation so as to increase our customer base and gain a huge share of the target market here in Portland – Oregon as well as in the United States of America. This strategy might lower our profit margin but would be worth it for the company in the long run.
- Payment Options
In setting up a payment option for our different clients, we are aware of the fact that our different customers in all over the country would prefer to have as many options as possible and so we have come up with different payment options that would suit them.
Below are the payments options we intend to make available at Green Life pet bottle recycling company;
- Cash payment
- Payment via check
- Payment via bank draft
- Payment via Point of Sale (POS) Machine
- Payment via online payment portal
The above payment platform options were carefully chosen for us by our bank and we have been told that customers will experience no hitches whilst using these platforms.
13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
Starting a standard pet bottle recycling business can be capital intensive as the bulk of the capital goes into procuring machines and equipment for use as well as paying the salaries of employees and utility bills for a certain period of time. We also hope to acquire a truck to help in delivering finished products and brining in raw materials.
Therefore, the key areas where we intend to spend our start-up capital on are;
- Total fee for registering the business in the United States of America – $750
- Accounting (startup expenses and software) and legal (permits and licenses) – $50,000
- Cost of hiring business consultants – $25,000
- Insurance (general liability, property insurance, workers’ compensation) – $22,250
- Cost of leasing and renovating a facility for manufacturing and administrative use for at least a year – $696,000
- Operational cost for the first six months (employees’ salaries and payment of bills) – $800,000
- Other start-up expenses – stationery and utility deposits – $5,000
- Cost of start-up inventory – (machines, lab equipment and local engineering) – $700,000
- Marketing promotion expenses (promotion for grand opening ceremony and general marketing promotion activities) – $50,000
- Storage hardware (shelves, bins and racks) – $20,000
- Cost of purchasing two trucks for use – $300,000
- Cost of launching a website – $1,000
- Cost of throwing our opening party – $10,000
- Miscellaneous – $20,000
From the above breakdown, we would need an estimate of $2,700,000 in order to successfully start-up and run a pet bottle recycling business here in Portland – Oregon. It should be noted that the bulk of the capital went into leasing a facility, procuring recycling equipment and machinery, payment of employees’ salaries and utility bills for at least 6 months, and also procuring two trucks for use.
Generating Funding / Startup Capital for Green Life Pet Bottle Recycling Business
Green Life pet bottle recycling company is a business that is owned and operated by two business partners, Mr. Edward Cohack and Engr. John Cusack. The gentlemen have vast experience in manufacturing companies such as this and have therefore carefully chosen financing options that they would need to get the required start-up capital to start the pet bottle recycling business.
The areas where they therefore intend to generate start-up capital from are;
- Generate part of the start-up capital from sale of personal stocks and properties
- Apply for loan from the bank
- Seek for loan from private investors
N.B: We were able to generate the sum of $500,000 from the sale of our personal stocks and properties. We have applied for a loan from our bank for the sum of $1,500,000 at the rate of 3% per annum to be repaid in 5 years and all the documents approving the loan has been signed and the amount will likely be credited to our account by next week.
In order to have a fall back amount, we approached a private investor for the sum of $700,000 for 2% equity in our business and after looking through our business plan and coming to an agreement, we have signed a contract.
14. Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
In order for us to remain in business for a long time, we intend to deploy several factors such as ensuring that we build a solid business structure via employing competent employees, engage in effective marketing, and also ensure we retain a huge share of our existing customers. These major factors will ensure that we remain in business for as long as we want.
Having a solid business structure will enable us start and run our business with as few hitches as possible, which is why we take our business structure very seriously. We intend to hire only competent employees with professional experience and well committed to our business goals and objectives, because we know that the commitment and expertise will ensure that the company gets to the intended level, in addition to the trainings which we will give them to enhance their productivity and skill set.
Green Life pet bottle recycling company knows how important and effective the right marketing strategies are, and so we intend to deploy marketing strategies that would effectively penetrate the target market and gain a huge share of the market, while also positively communicating our brand. We also intend to continually conduct market researches that would allow us get an idea of new target markets for our business.
Finally, knowing how important our customer base is, we intend to deploy strategies aimed at retaining a huge number of our customers whilst also effectively seeking out new ones to boost our bottom line. Ensuring that these three factors are in place will go a long way into building our business and sustaining it effortlessly.
Check List / Milestone
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Conducting feasibility studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Graphic Designs and Printing of Packaging Marketing / Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and around the community: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Opening party / launching party planning: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – wholesale suppliers / merchants: In Progress
- Purchase of trucks: Completed