Are you about starting a quail egg production company? If YES, here is a complete sample quail egg production business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a quail egg production company. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample quail egg production marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for quail egg production companies. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
You will agree that there are loads of business opportunities in the poultry farming industry and quail egg production is one of them. Quails are raised for both meat and eggs. In recent time, quail egg production is known by all and sundry to be a profitable business and it has evolved from small scale to a global industry in most countries where it is carried out.
It is important to state that starting a quail egg production business comes with its own fair share of challenges, but that does not rule out the fact that it is a profitable business venture. An aspiring entrepreneur can either choose to start a quail egg production business on a small scale covering a small community or on a large scale depending on their financial status.
So, if you have decided to go into quail egg production, then you should ensure that you carry out thorough feasibility studies and also market survey. Business plan is yet another very important business document that you should not take for granted when launching your business.
Below is a sample quail egg production business plan template that can help you to successfully write your own with little or no difficulty.
A Sample Quail Egg Production Business Plan Template
Table of Content
- 2. Executive Summary
- 5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
- 6. SWOT Analysis
- 7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- 13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
1. Industry Overview
Quail is a general name that is given to a generation of mid-sized birds generally placed in the order Galliformes. There are loads of poultry’s that raise quail for meat and eggs and they are making huge profits from the business.
The Quail Farming industry includes poultry farms that raise quails basically for meat and egg production. Downstream meat processors and food producers supply farmers with quails, chicks and feed according to contractual agreements.
Poultry farmers provide growing facilities, bird care and agricultural expertise. Revenue is recorded in the final prices that poultry farmers receive per average weight of live quails.
The Quail Farming industry in recent time has experienced positive trends in demand for quail meat and eggs. Of course, increasing health consciousness among American meat consumers has boosted consumption of white meat such as quails and chicken, which is also more affordable than beef or pork.
Going forward, the industry will continue to enjoy appreciable growth and quail and chicken farmers will keep smiling to the bank. Falling input prices will enable quail and chicken farmers to increase production volumes; on the other hand, many farms will consolidate to gain the benefits of economies of scale.
In the united states of America, most poultry farmers have been functioning for more than ten years. They are often family enterprises passed down from one generation to another generation. The major barriers facing new entrants into the industry include the competitive nature of a contract based income system, the medium level of investment required and of course compliance with various environmental regulations.
The Chicken and Quail Farming industry is indeed a very large industry and pretty much thriving in all parts of the world. Statistics has it that in the United States of America alone, there are about 38,065 licensed and registered chicken and quail egg production companies directly responsible for employing about 56,306 employees.
The industry rakes in a whooping sum of $34 billion annually with an annual growth rate projected at 2.7 percent. It is important to state that there are no establishments with a lion share in this industry.
If you are looking towards leveraging on the agriculture industry to generate huge income, then one of your best bet is to start a quail egg production business.
One thing is certain about starting quail egg production business, if you are able to conduct your market research and feasibility studies, you are not going to struggle to sell your quails eggs because there are always consumers out there who are ready to buy from you, coupled with the fact that quail eggs are considered very healthy.
2. Executive Summary
Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC is a licensed poultry farm with strong bias in raising quails for meat and egg.
The poultry farm will be located in an ideal farm facility in the outskirt of Dallas, Texas– United States. We have done our detailed market research and feasibility studies and we were able to secure 20 hectares of land to start our poultry farm cum quail egg production business.
Our poultry farm is going to be a standard commercial poultry farm hence will be involved exporting well cleaned and packaged eggs to other countries of the world.
We are in the quail egg production line of business because we want to leverage on the vast opportunities available in the agriculture industry to contribute our quota in growing the U.S. economy, in national food production, and also to export quail eggs from the United States to other countries and over and above to make profit.
Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC is well positioned to become one of the leading quail egg production businesses in the United States of America, which is why we have been able to source for the best hands and machines to run the business with.
We have put process and strategies in place that will help us employ best practices when it comes to raising healthy quails and packaging our quail eggs as required by the regulating bodies in the United States of America.
At Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC, our customer’s best interest will always come first, and everything we do will be guided by our values and professional ethics. We will ensure that we hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards by meeting our client’s needs precisely and completely.
Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC is a private registered commercial poultry farm company with strong bias for quail egg production that is owned by Mr. Allan Richards and his immediate family members. The business will be fully and single handedly financed by the owner – Mr. Allan Richards and his immediate family members at least for a period of time.
3. Our Products and Services
Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC is a standard commercial poultry farms company that is committed to raising quails primarily for eggs for both the United States and the global market. We are in the commercial poultry farms line of business to make profits and we are going to do all we can to achieve our business goals, aim and objectives.
4. Our Mission and Vision Statement
- Our vision as a company is to become one of the leading quail egg production brands not just in the United States of America but also on the global stage.
- Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC is a world class commercial poultry farm that is committed to producing quail eggs for both the United States’ market and the global market. We want our well packaged quail eggs to flood the nooks and crannies of the United States and other countries of the world.
Our Business Structure
Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC is a family owned and managed commercial poultry farms with strong bias for quail egg production that intend starting small in Dallas – Texas, but hopes to grow big in order to compete favorably with leading commercial poultry farms that are into quail egg production.
We are aware of the importance of building a solid business structure that can support the kind of world class business we want to own. This is why we are committed to only hire the best hands within our area of operation.
At Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC, we will ensure that we hire people that are qualified, hardworking, and creative, result driven, customer centric and are ready to work to help us build a prosperous business that will benefit all our stakeholders.
As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our senior management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of five years or more as agreed by the board of trustees of the company. In view of the above, we have decided to hire qualified and competent hands to occupy the following positions;
- Chief Operating Officer
- Poultry Farm Manager
- Accountant / Cashier
- Sales and Marketing Executive
- Quail Farms Employees
- Front Desk Officer
5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Executive Officer – CEO:
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; developing incentives; developing a climate for offering information and opinions; providing educational opportunities.
- In control of fixing prices and signing business deals
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Creates, communicates, and implements the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy
- Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization
Poultry Farm Manager
- In charge of the planning, management and coordinating all farm activities
- Supervises other section managers especially as it relates to preparing the quail eggs for delivery
- Responsible for carrying out risk assessment
- Responsible for preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization
- Provides managements with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports; analyzes financial feasibility for the most complex proposed projects; conducts market research to forecast trends and business conditions
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting for one or more properties
- Responsible for developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- Ensures compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC
- Serves as internal auditor for Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC.
Sales and Marketing Manager
- Manages external research and coordinate all the internal sources of information to retain the organizations’ best customers and attract new ones
- Models demographic information and analyze the volumes of transactional data generated by customer
- Writes winning proposal documents, negotiate fees and rates in line with organizations’ policy
- Responsible for handling business research, market surveys and feasibility studies for clients
- Responsible for supervising implementation, advocate for the customer’s needs, and communicate with clients
- Develops, executes and evaluates new plans for expanding sales
- Creates new markets cum businesses for the organization
- Empowers and motivates the sales team to meet and surpass agreed targets
Field Workers/Contract Staff
- Responsible for daily collection of eggs
- Responsible for feeding quails as instructed by the supervisor
- Responsible for cleaning the poultry and the entire environment
- Changes the water for the quails as instructed by the supervisor on a regular basis
- Handles poultry farm implements and machines as instructed by the section manager/supervisor
- Assists in handling the quails
- Carries out task in line with the stated job description
- Assists in transport working tools and equipment from the poultry farm and back to the designated store room
- Assists in packaging the quail eggs in creates and loading in delivery trucks
- Handles any other duties as assigned by the line manager
Front Desk/Customer’s Service Officer
- Welcomes clients and potential clients by greeting them in person, online or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Ensures that all contacts with clients provides the client with a personalized customer service experience of the highest level
- Through interaction with clients on the phone, uses every opportunity to build client’s interest in the company’s products and services
- Manages administrative duties assigned by the poultry farm manager in an effective and timely manner
- Consistently stays abreast of any new information on the organizations’ products, promotional campaigns etc. to ensure accurate and helpful information is supplied to clients when they make enquiries
6. SWOT Analysis
Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC do not intend to launch out with trial and error hence the need to conduct a proper SWOT analysis.
We know that if we get it right from the onset, we would have succeeded in creating the foundation that will help us build a standard quail egg production company that will favorably compete with leading commercial poultry farms that are into the rearing of quails basically for eggs in the United States of America and in the rest part of the world.
We engaged the services of a core professional in the area of business consulting and structuring to assist our organization in building a well – structured commercial poultry farm with strong bias for rearing quails basically for egg production.
Part of what the consultant did was to work with the management of our organization in conducting a SWOT analysis for Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC. Here is a summary from the result of the SWOT analysis that was conducted on behalf of Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC.
Our strength as a commercial poultry farm is the fact that we have healthy relationships with loads of major players in the industry. We have some of the latest commercial poultry farming hatchery, tools and equipment that will help us raise quails in commercial quantities with less stress.
Aside from our relationship (network) and equipment, we can confidently boast that we have some the most experienced hands in Dallas – Texas under our payroll.
Our weakness could be that we are a new quail egg production company in the United States, and perhaps it might take us sometime to attract big time customers in the industry. We are aware of this and from our projections we will overcome this weakness with time and turn it to a major advantage for the business.
The opportunities that are available to us as a standard commercial poultry farm with strong bias for quail rearing for eggs cannot be quantified, we know that there are loads of households and businesses that can’t do without daily supply of quail eggs. We are well positioned to take advantage of this opportunity.
Some of the threats and challenges that we are likely going to face when we start our own quail egg production business are global economic downturn that can impact negatively on household spending, bad weather cum natural disasters, unfavorable government policies and the arrival of a competitor within the same location.
7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
One of the trends in the egg production industry is painting/coloring or beautifying eggs so that it will look attractive for consumers to make purchase especially when initially they don’t want to make purchase. This branding or marketing technique has indeed help egg production companies to generate more sales.
As a matter of fact, eggs that are colored and designed can cost almost twice the price of the ordinary egg. The Chicken and Quail Farming industry has greatly benefited from campaigns advertising the health benefits of quail and chicken meat and eggs.
No doubt, the increased demand of quail, chicken and eggs from households and food related businesses and of course the growing popularity of specially processed and canned quail meat has rapidly improved revenue growth for the industry.
In the face of this growth, profit margin has suffered from rising feed costs and also regulations regarding animal welfare.
As a matter of fact, one of the new trends is that with the recent advancement in technology, poultry farmers can now comfortably predict and produce the quantities of quails or chickens or even egg they want per time. This has indeed helped them in proper planning and budgeting for the business.
8. Our Target Market
Usually, the target market that benefit from the business value chain of the poultry farming industry is all encompassing.
Every household consumes produce from commercial poultry farms be it chicken, quail meat or egg. So also, almost all hotels and fast restaurants sell chicken meat and eggs, some also sell quail meat. In essence a commercial poultry farmer should be able to sell his or her quails, chickens and eggs to as many people as possible.
In view of that, we have positioned our business to attract consumers of quail eggs not just in the United States of America alone but also other parts of the world. We have conducted our market research and survey and we will ensure that we meet and surpass the expectations we set for the business. Below is a list of the people and business that we will market our quail eggs to;
- Fast food eateries
- Agriculture merchants
Our Competitive Advantage
Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC is fully aware that there are competitions when it comes to selling quail eggs all over the globe, which is why we decided to carry out thorough market research so as to know how to take advantage of the available market in the United States and in other parts of the world.
We have done our homework and we have been able to highlight some factors that will give us competitive advantage in the marketplace; some of the factors are effective and reliable quail egg production processes that can help us sell our quail eggs at competitive prices, good network and excellent relationship management.
We will ensure that a good percentage of our quail eggs are colored and designed in attractive colors that will help us attract customers.
Another competitive advantage that we are bringing to the industry is the fact that we have healthy relationships with loads of major players in the industry and we have some of the latest commercial poultry farming hatchery, tools and equipment that will help us raise and produce eggs in commercial quantities with less stress.
Aside from our relationship (network) and equipment, we can confidently boast that we have some the most experienced hands in Dallas – Texas under our payroll.
Lastly, all our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category in the industry. It will enable them to be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and achieve all our business aims and objectives.
9. SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC is in the egg production industry for the purpose of maximizing profits hence we have decided to explore all the available opportunities within the industry to achieve our corporate goals and objectives.
10. Sales Forecast
Going by the market research and survey conducted, we were able to discover that the sales generated by a quail egg production business depend on the size of the business and of course the size of their marketing network.
We have perfected our sales and marketing strategies, we are set to hit the ground running and we are quite optimistic that we will meet or even surpass our set sales target of generating enough profits from the year of operation and build the business from survival to sustainability with the shortest period of time.
We have been able to critically examine the quail egg production business, we have analyzed our chances in the industry and we have been able to come up with the following sales forecast. The sales projections are based on information gathered on the field and some workable assumptions as well with respect to the nature of quail egg production business that we run.
- First Fiscal Year: $250,000
- Second Fiscal Year: $500,000
- Third Fiscal Year: $750,000
N.B: This projection is done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown that can impact negatively on household spending, bad weather cum natural disasters and unfavorable government policies.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
We are aware that the reason why some quail egg production businesses hardly make good profits is their inability to sell off their quails and eggs as at when due.
Our sales and marketing team will be recruited based on their vast experience in the egg production industry and they will be trained on a regular basis so as to be well equipped to meet their targets and the overall business goal of Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC.
Over and above, we have perfected our sale and marketing strategies first by networking with agriculture merchants and businesses that rely on daily supply of quail eggs. In summary, Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC will adopt the following strategies in marketing our commercial farm produce;
- Introduce our business by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to stake holders in the agriculture industry, households, hotels and restaurants and agricultural produce merchant et al.
- Advertise our business in agriculture and food related magazines and websites
- List our business on yellow pages ads
- Attend related agriculture and food expos, seminars, and business fairs et al
- Leverage on the internet to promote our business
- Engage in direct marketing
- Encourage the use of Word of mouth marketing (referrals)
11. Publicity and Advertising Strategy
Any business that wants to grow beyond the corner of the street or the city they are operating from must be ready and willing to utilize every available means to advertise and promote the business. We intend growing our business which is why we have perfected plans to build our brand via every available means.
We know that it is important to create strategies that will help us boost our brand awareness and to create a corporate identity for our quail egg production business. Below are the platforms we will leverage on to boost our quail egg production brand and to promote and advertise our business;
- Place adverts on community based newspapers, radio and TV stations
- Encourage the use of word of mouth publicity from our loyal customers
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms to promote our business
- Ensure that our we position our banners and billboards in strategic positions all around Dallas – Texas
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas in and around our neighborhood
- Advertise our business (quail eggs) in our official website and employ strategies that will help us pull traffic to the site
- Brand all our official cars and trucks and ensure that all our staff members and management staff wear our branded shirt or cap at regular intervals
12. Our Pricing Strategy
Some of the factors that will help you sell your quails eggs at the right price that will guarantee that you make profits is dependent on your strategy while some of the factors are beyond your control.
For example, if the climatic condition is unfavorable and if there are natural disasters in the location where you have your commercial poultry farm, then it will directly affect the prices of your quail eggs.
Over and above, if you want to get the right pricing for your quail eggs, then you should ensure that you choose a good location for quail egg production business, choose a good breed that will guarantee bountiful harvest, cut the cost of running your poultry farm to the barest minimum.
And try as much as possible to attract buyers to your poultry farm as against taking your quail eggs to the market to source for buyers; with this, you would have successfully eliminate the cost of transporting the goods to the market.
We are quite aware that one of the easiest means of penetrating the market and acquiring loads of customers for our quail eggs is to sell them at competitive prices hence we will do all we can to ensure that the prices of our eggs are going to be what other quail egg production company would look towards beating.
One thing is certain, the nature of quail egg production companies makes it possible for them to place prices for their eggs based on their discretion without following the benchmark in the industry. The truth is that it is one of the means of avoiding running into loss.
- Payment Options
The payment policy adopted by Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the United States of America.
Here are the payment options that Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC will make available to her clients;
- Payment via bank transfer
- Payment with cash
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via bank draft
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our client make payment for quail eggs purchased without any stress on their part. Our bank account numbers will be made available on our website and promotional materials.
13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
When it comes to calculating the cost of starting a commercial poultry farm cum quail egg production business, there are some key factors that should serve as a guide. The number of quails to be raised determines the total cost of setting up the business.
Besides, in setting up any business, the amount or cost will depend on the approach and scale you want to undertake. If you intend to go big by renting / leasing a big facility, then you would need a good amount of capital as you would need to ensure that your employees are well taken care of.
This means that the start-up can either be low or high depending on your goals, vision and aspirations for your business.
The tools and equipment that will be used are nearly the same cost everywhere, and any difference in prices would be minimal and can be overlooked. As for the detailed cost analysis for starting a quail egg production business; it might differ in other countries due to the value of their money.
Below are some of the basic areas we will spend our startup capital in setting up our quail egg production business.
- The total fee for incorporating the Business in United States of America – $750
- The amount needed to acquire / lease a farm land – $50,000
- The amount required for preparing the place (poultry fencing et al) – $30,000
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services (software, P.O.S machines and other software) – $3,300
- Marketing promotion expenses for the grand opening of Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC in the amount of $3,500 and as well as flyer printing (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of $3,580
- The total cost for hiring Business Consultant – $2,500.
- The total cost for payment of insurance policy covers (general liability, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $9,400
- The amount required for the purchase of the first set of quails – $20,000
- The cost for the purchase of quail feed, medications, etc – $10,000
- The cost for acquiring the required working tools and equipment et al – $50,000
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $60,000
- The Cost of Launching an official Website – $600
- Additional Expenditure (Business cards, Signage, Adverts and Promotions et al) – $2,000
Going by the report from detailed research and feasibility studies conducted, we will need an average of $500,000 to start a standard quail egg production business in the United States of America.
Generating Startup Capital for Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC
No matter how fantastic your business idea might be, if you don’t have the required money to finance the business, the business might not become a reality. Finance is a very important factor when it comes to starting a business such as quail production business.
No doubt raising startup capital for a business might not come cheap, but it is a task that an entrepreneur must go through.
Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC is a family business that is solely owned and financed by Allan Richards and his immediate family members. They do not intend to welcome any external business partners, which is why he has decided to restrict the sourcing of the startup capital to 3 major sources.
These are the areas we intend generating our startup capital;
- Generate part of the startup capital from personal savings
- Source for soft loans from family members and friends
- Apply for loan from my Bank
N.B: We have been able to generate about $150,000 (Personal savings $100,000 and soft loan from family members $50,000) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $350,000 from our bank. All the papers and documents have been signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited with the amount.
14. Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
The future of a business lies in the number of loyal customers that they have, the capacity and competence of their employees, their investment strategy and the business structure. If all of these factors are missing from a business, then it won’t be too long before the business closes shop.
One of our major goals of starting Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC is to build a business that will survive off its own cash flow without the need for injecting finance from external sources once the business is officially running. We know that one of the ways of gaining approval and winning customers over is to retail our quail eggs a little bit cheaper than what is obtainable in the market and we are well prepared to survive on lower profit margin for a while.
Allan Richards & Family® Poultry Farms, LLC will make sure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that our staff welfare are well taken of. Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and retraining of our workforce is at the top burner.
We know that if that is put in place, we will be able to successfully hire and retain the best hands we can get in the industry; they will be more committed to help us build the business of our dreams.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Leasing of farm land and building of standard poultry (cages): In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Graphic Designs and Printing of Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and around the community: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Opening party/launching party planning: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – key players in the industry: In Progress