Are you about starting a sushi restaurant? If YES, here is a complete sample sushi restaurant business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a sushi restaurant. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample sushi restaurant marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for sushi restaurants. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
Why Start a Sushi Restaurant?
If you are a food lover and you love to have adventure with meals, then the sushi restaurant is a place to be. A lot of people are delving into the sushi restaurant business because it has suddenly become a money spinner.
A lot needs to be done to see that your sushi restaurant business takes flight within the projected period. For this, you need a business plan to project and tag along. Writing a business plan might come as a herculean task to many because of the technicalities involved, and because of this, business plan templates can be drawn from the internet and even from business books. You need to carry out adequate research in order to find the type of business plan that will suit your business since there are different types available.
That is not all. There has to be a connection between you and the people whose food problems you want to solve. This could be categorized as the vision and mission of your business as you will see in this sample business plan as you forge ahead. Other areas that might require some math and reckoning could be worked out along the road as you get acquainted with the sample business plan.
You too can now write your own business plan by fixing in the appropriate details of your business after you have gone through the sample sushi restaurant business plan template below.
A Sample Sushi Restaurant Business Plan Template
- Industry Overview
The sushi restaurant industry is composed of restaurants that principally engage in providing sushi-style food to patrons who order and are served while seated. It is common to find sushi restaurants selling alcoholic and other beverages.
A recent report published by IBISWORLD shows that the Sushi Restaurant industry exhibits a low level of capital intensity. For every $1.00 the average restaurant spends on wages in 2016, it will spend an estimated $0.07 cents toward using and replacing equipment.
As such, labor intensity is high. The report further shows that the industry is heavily dependent on direct labor input across all operations, including ordering, delivery, food preparation, liquor and other beverage sales, cooking, serving, cleaning and management.
Also, the report shows that many restaurants are family owned and operated and owners do not often pay themselves wages. In these cases, IBISWorld records labor expenses as imputed costs, meaning the wage owners would otherwise pay themselves to perform the tasks.
The Sushi Restaurant industry is a thriving sector of the economy of the United States and the industry generates over $2 billion annually from more than 3,381 registered sushi restaurants scattered all around the United States of America. The industry is responsible for the employment of well over 29,968 people. Experts project the industry to grow at a 3.3 percent annual rate between 2011 and 2016. No establishment can boast of having a lion market share in the industry.
The Sushi Restaurants industry has minimal barriers to entry, with low startup capital and no specific licensing requirements. On the other hand, the high level of competition and market saturation in a declining industry can prove challenging to aspiring entrepreneurs who want to start their own sushi restaurants. Most players in the sushi restaurant line of business are small to medium size establishments that cater to the local community.
The Sushi Restaurant industry is a profitable industry and it is open for any aspiring entrepreneur to come in and establish his or her business; you can choose to start on a small scale in a street corner like the average mom and pop business or you can choose to start on a large scale with several outlets in key cities.
Sushi Restaurant Business Plan – Executive Summary
Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC is a standard sushi restaurant business that will be located along one of the busiest roads in Atlanta – Georgia. We have been able to lease a facility along a major road that is big enough to fit into the design of the kind of sushi restaurant that we intend launching and the facility is located in a corner piece directly opposite a Japanese/Asia community in Atlanta – Georgia.
Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC will be involved in full-service dining sushi sales, beverage sales and take-out sushi sales et al. We know that that there are several large and small sushi restaurants all around Atlanta – George which is why we spent time and resources to conduct our feasibility studies and market survey so as to offer much more than our competitors will be offering. We have self – service options for our customers, and our outlet has various payment of options.
We are aware of the trend in the restaurant/fast food industry, so we are not only going to operate a system where our customers come to our sushi restaurant to make purchases, but we will also operate an online store where our customers can place orders and get them delivered to their houses or any location they want us to deliver the goods within Atlanta – Georgia.
Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC will at all times demonstrate her commitment to sustainability, both individually and as a firm, by actively participating in our communities and integrating sustainable business practices wherever possible. We will ensure that we hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards by meeting our client’s needs precisely and completely.
Our plan is to position the business to become one of the leading brands in the sushi restaurants industry in the whole of Atlanta – Georgia, and also to be amongst the top 10 sushi restaurants in the United States of America within the first 10 years of operation.
This might look too tall a dream but we are optimistic that this will surely be realized because we have done our research and feasibility studies and we are enthusiastic and confident that Atlanta – Georgia is the right place to launch our sushi restaurant before opening our chains of sushi restaurants all across major cities in the United States of America.
Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC is a family business that is owned by Mr. Jackie Lee and his immediate family members. Mr. Jackie Lee is a Japanese – American sushi specialist, he has a B.Sc. in Food Science and a Diploma in Business Administration, with over 10 years’ experience in the restaurant and fast food industry, working for some of the leading brands in the United States. Although the business is launching out with just one outlet in Atlanta – Georgia, but there are plans to open other outlets all around Georgia and in other key cities in the United States of America.
- Our Products
Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC is in the sushi restaurant line of business to make profits and we will ensure we go all the way to make available well – prepared sushi and other food and drinks to our clients. We are well prepared to make profits from the industry and we will do all that is permitted by the law of the United States to achieve our business goals, aim and objectives.
Our product and service offerings are listed below;
- Alcoholic drinks
- Food and beverages
- Soft Drinks
Our Vision Statement
Our vision is to become a leading sushi restaurant in Atlanta – Georgia and to establish a one stop sushi restaurant in Atlanta – Georgia and in other cities in the United States of America.
- Our Mission Statement
Our mission is to establish a sushi restaurant business that will make available well – prepared sushi and other food and drinks at affordable prices to the residents of Atlanta – Georgia and other cities in the United States of America where we intend opening of chains of sushi restaurants.
- Our Business Structure
Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC do not intend to start a sushi restaurant business like the usual mom and pop business around the street corner; our intention of starting a sushi restaurant business is to build a standard restaurant that will appeal to different classes of people.
Although our sushi restaurant might not be as big as that of leading players in the Sushi Restaurant industry, but we will ensure that we will put the right structure in place that will support the kind of growth we have in mind while setting up the business.
We will ensure that we hire people that are qualified, honest, customer centric and are ready to work to help us build a prosperous business that will benefit all our stakeholders. As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our senior management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of ten years or more.
In view of that, we have decided to hire qualified and competent hands to occupy the following positions;
- Chief Executive Officer (Owner)
- Restaurant Manager
- Human Resources and Amin Manager
- Sushi Makers
- Sales and Marketing Manager
- Van Drivers/Deliverers
Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Executive Officer – CEO (Owner):
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; developing incentives; developing a climate for offering information and opinions; providing educational opportunities.
- Creates, communicates, and implements the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- Responsible for fixing prices and signing business deals
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization
Admin and HR Manager
- Answerable for overseeing the smooth running of HR and administrative tasks for the organization
- Maintains office supplies by checking stocks; placing and expediting orders; evaluating new products
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Defines job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Carries out induction for new team members
- In charge for training, evaluation and assessment of employees
- In control of arranging travel, meetings and appointments
- Oversees the smooth running of the daily office activities
- Answerable for managing the daily activities in the sushi restaurant (kitchen inclusive)
- Ensures that the restaurant facility is in tip top shape and conducive enough to welcome customers
- Interfaces with third – party providers
- Reports to the Chief Executive Officer
- Attends to Customers complains and inquiries
- Any other duty as assigned by the CEO
- Makes sushi as supervised by the kitchen supervisor
- Responsible for carrying out all casual or unskilled jobs in the kitchen
- In charge of packaging sushi meant for delivery
- Handles any other duty as assigned by the restaurant manager
Sales and Marketing Manager
- Manages external research and coordinate all the internal sources of information to retain the organizations’ best customers and attract new ones
- Identifies, prioritizes, and reaches out to new partners, and business opportunities et al
- Identifies development opportunities; follows up on development leads and contacts
- Responsible for supervising implementation, advocate for the customer’s needs, and communicate with clients
- Develops, executes and evaluates new plans for expanding sales
- Documents all customer contact and information
- Helps to increase sales and growth for the company
- Responsible for preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization
- Provides managements with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports; analyzes financial feasibility for the most complex proposed projects; conducts market research to forecast trends and business conditions
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting and financial reporting
- Answerable to developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- Ensures compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for the organization
- Serves as internal auditor for the organization
- Promptly attends to customers in a friendly and professional manner
- Ensures that un-occupied tables are always set and ready for customers
- Pulls out chairs for customers as they arrive
- Handle any other duty as assigned by the Restaurant manager
- Delivers customer’s orders promptly
- Deliver correspondence for the restaurant
- Runs errand for the organization
- Responsible for cleaning the restaurant facility at all times
- Ensure that toiletries and supplies don’t run out of stock
- Cleans both the interior and exterior of the restaurant facility
- Handle any other duty as assigned by the restaurant manager
Sushi Restaurant Business Plan – SWOT Analysis
Our plan of starting with just one outlet is to test run the business for a period of 3 to 5 years to know if we will invest more money, expand the business and then open other outlets all over Atlanta and key cities in the United States.
We are aware that there are several sushi restaurants all over Atlanta – Georgia and even in the same location where we intend locating ours, which is why we are following the due process of establishing a business. We know that if a proper SWOT analysis is conducted for our business, we will be able to position our business to maximize our strengths, leverage on the opportunities that will be available to us, mitigate our risks and be welled equipped to confront our threats.
Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC employed the services of an expert HR and Business Analyst with bias in the restaurant and fast food line of business to help us conduct a thorough SWOT analysis and to help us create a business model that will help us achieve our business goals and objectives.
This is the summary of the SWOT analysis that was conducted for Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC;
Our location, the business model we will be operating on, varieties of payment options, wide varieties of sushi and our excellent customer service culture will definitely count as a strong strength for Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC. We have a management team that has what it takes to grow a new business to profitability within record time.
A major weakness that may count against us is the fact that we are a new sushi restaurant – business and we don’t have the financial capacity to compete with popular sushi restaurants.
The fact that we are going to be operating our sushi restaurant in one of the busiest streets in Atlanta – Georgia, provides us with unlimited opportunities to sell our sushi, food, alcoholic drinks, coffee and soft drinks to a large number of people.
We have been able to conduct thorough feasibility studies and market survey and we know what our potential clients will be looking for when they visit our restaurant; we are well positioned to take on the opportunities that will come our way.
Just like any other business, one of the major threats that we are likely going to face is economic downturn. It is a fact that economic downturn affects purchasing/spending power. Another threat that may likely confront us is the arrival of a new sushi restaurant or fast food restaurant in same location where ours is located.
Sushi Restaurant Business Plan – MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
In this era when the online community is growing rapidly, you would do your sushi restaurant business a whole lot of favor if you create your own online presence. One of the easiest ways to get people to see you as an expert in your line of business is to blog constantly about sushi.
You may also want to leverage on social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, and others to publicize your sushi restaurant. You can as well go ahead to open an online store where people can place orders from your restaurant. You must ensure that your delivery system is efficient if you intend to do well with your online sushi shop.
Sushi restaurants have created new menu options that capitalize on increasing awareness of the health risks associated with high – fat diets. The industry has also thrived by developing products at price points attractive enough to weather the slow economic recovery, resulting in strong revenue growth. These trends are expected to contribute to revenue growth going forward.
- Our Target Market
One thing about sushi, alcoholic drinks, coffee and soft drinks is that you can hardly find someone who doesn’t patronize them. As a matter of fact, most sushi restaurants now have menu designed specifically for healthy eating conscious people and others depending on their eating preferences.
In view of that, we have positioned our sushi restaurants to service the residents of Atlanta – Georgia and every other location where our restaurants will be located in key cities all over the United States of America. We have conducted our market research and we have ideas of what our target market would be expecting from us.
We are in business to retail wide varieties of sushi to the following groups of people;
- Corporate Executives
- Business People
- Sports Men and Women
Our Competitive Advantage
A close study of the sushi restaurant industry reveals that the market has become much more intensely competitive over the last decade. As a matter of fact, you have to be highly creative, customer centric and proactive if you must survive in this industry. We are aware of the competition and we are well prepared to compete favorably with other sushi restaurants and fast food restaurants in Atlanta – Georgia.
Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC is located in a corner piece property on a busy road directly opposite one of the largest residential estates in Atlanta. We have enough parking space that can accommodate over 20 cars per time.
We will ensure that we have wide varieties of sushi and other foods available in our restaurant at all times. It will be difficult for customers to visit our restaurant and not make a purchase. One of our business goals is to make Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC a one stop sushi restaurant. Our excellent customer service culture, online store, various payment options and highly secured facility will serve as a competitive advantage for us.
Lastly, our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category in the restaurant industry, meaning that they will be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and achieve all our aims and objectives.
Sushi Restaurant Business Plan – SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC is in business to retail a wide variety of sushi and other food and drinks to residents of Atlanta – Georgia. We are in the sushi restaurant industry to maximize profits and we are going to go all the way out to ensure that we achieve or business goals and objectives.
Our source of income will be the retailing of the following products at affordable prices;
- Alcoholic drinks
- Soft Drinks
When it comes to sushi restaurants, if your restaurant is centrally positioned, you will always attract customers cum sales and that will sure translate to increase in revenue generation for the business.
We are well positioned to take on the available market in Atlanta – Georgia and we are quite optimistic that we will meet our set target of generating enough profits from the first six months of operation and grow the business and our clientele base.
We have been able to critically examine the sushi restaurant industry, we have analyzed our chances in the industry and we have been able to come up with the following sales forecast. The sales projections are based on information gathered on the field and some assumptions that are peculiar to startups in Atlanta – Georgia.
- First Fiscal Year: $120,000
- Second Fiscal Year: $350,000
- Third Fiscal Year: $750,000
N.B: This projection was done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown and there won’t be any major competitor offering same products as we do within same location. Please note that the above projection might be lower and at the same time it might be higher.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
Before choosing a location for Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC, we conducted a thorough market survey and feasibility studies in order for us to penetrate the available market in Atlanta – Georgia. We have detailed information and data that we were able to utilize to structure our business to attract the number of customers we want to attract per time.
We hired experts who have good understanding of the sushi restaurant industry to help us develop marketing strategies that will help us achieve our business goal of winning a larger percentage of the available market in Atlanta – Georgia.
In summary, Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC will adopt the following sales and marketing approach to win customers over;
- Open our sushi restaurant in a grand style with a party for all
- Introduce our sushi restaurant business by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to corporate organizations, event planners, households and key stake holders in Atlanta – Georgia
- Ensure that we make wide varieties of sushi and other foods in our restaurant at all times
- Make use of attractive hand bills to create awareness and also to give direction to our restaurant
- Position our signage/flexi banners at strategic places around Atlanta – Georgia
- Position our greeters to welcome and direct potential customers
- Create a loyalty plan that will enable us reward our regular customers
- Engage on roadshows within our neighborhood to create awareness for our sushi restaurant
Sushi Restaurant Business Plan – Publicity and Advertising Strategy
Despite the fact that our sushi restaurant is well located, we will still intensify publicity for the business. We are going to explore all available means to promote Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC.
Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC has a long – term plan of opening chains of sushi restaurants in various locations all around Georgia and key cities in the United States which is why we will deliberately build our brand to be well accepted in Atlanta before venturing out. As a matter of fact, our publicity and advertising strategy is not solely for winning customers over but to effectively communicate our brand.
Here are the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote and advertise Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC;
- Place adverts on community based newspapers, radio and TV stations
- Encourage the use of word of mouth publicity from our loyal customers
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Google+ and other platforms to promote our business.
- Ensure that our we position our banners and billboards in strategic positions all around Atlanta – Georgia
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas in and around our neighborhood
- Contact corporate organizations, households, schools and event planners et al by calling them up and informing them of Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC and the products we sell
- Advertise Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC business in our official website and employ strategies that will help us pull traffic to the site
- Brand all our official cars and delivery vans and ensure that all our staff members and management staff wear our branded shirt or cap at regular intervals
Our Pricing Strategy
Pricing is one of the key factors that gives leverage to sushi restaurants, it is normal for consumers to go to places (restaurants) where they can purchase food at cheaper prices which is why big players in the restaurant industry will continue to attract loads of consumers.
We know we don’t have the capacity to compete with bigger and well – established sushi restaurants, but we will ensure that the prices of all the products that are available in our restaurant are competitive with what is obtainable amongst sushi restaurants within our level.
- Payment Options
The payment policy adopted by Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the United States of America.
Here are the payment options that Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC will make available to her clients;
- Payment via bank transfer
- Payment with cash
- Payment via credit cards / Point of Sale Machines
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via mobile money transfer
- Payment via bank draft
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our client make payment for product purchase without any stress on their part. Our bank account numbers will be made available on our website and promotional materials.
- Startup Expenditure (Budget)
In setting up any business, the amount or cost will depend on the approach and scale you want to undertake. If you intend to go big by renting a place, then you would need a good amount of capital as you would need to ensure that your employees are well taken care of, and that your facility is conducive enough for workers to be creative and productive.
This means that the start-up can either be low or high depending on your goals, vision and aspirations for your business.
The tools and equipment that will be used are nearly the same cost everywhere, and any difference in prices would be minimal and can be overlooked. As for the detailed cost analysis for starting a sushi restaurant business; it might differ in other countries due to the value of their money.
These are the key areas where we will spend our startup capital;
- The total fee for registering the business in the United States of America – $750
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services (software, P.O.S machines and other software) – $1,300
- Marketing promotion expenses for the grand opening of Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC in the amount of $3,500 and as well as flyer printing (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of – $3,580
- The cost for hiring Business Consultant – $2,500
- The cost for insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $2,400
- The cost for payment of rent for 12 months at $1.76 per square feet in the total amount of $105,600.
- The cost for construction of a standard sushi restaurant and kitchen – $100,000
- Other start-up expenses including phone and utility deposits ($2,500)
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $100,000
- The cost for start-up inventory (raw materials and packaging materials et al) – $80,000
- Storage hardware (bins, rack, shelves, food case) – $3,720
- The cost for counter area equipment (counter top, sink, ice machine, etc.) – $9,500
- The cost for store equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $13,750
- The cost of purchase of delivery vans – $50,000
- The cost for the purchase of furniture and gadgets (Computers, Printers, Telephone, TVs, Sound System, tables and chairs et al) – $4,000
- The cost of launching a website – $600
- The cost for our opening party – $10,000
- Miscellaneous – $10,000
We would need an estimate of $500,000 to successfully set up our sushi restaurant in the United States of America.
Generating Startup Capital for Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC
Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC is a private business that is solely owned and financed by Jackie Lee and his immediate family members. They do not intend to welcome any external business partners which is why he has decided to restrict the sourcing of the startup capital to 3 major sources.
These are the areas we intend generating our startup capital;
- Generate part of the startup capital from personal savings
- Source for soft loans from family members and friends
- Apply for loan from the bank
N.B: We have been able to generate about $200,000 (Personal savings $100,000 and soft loan from family members $50,000) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $300,000 from our bank. All the papers and documents have been signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited with the amount.
Sushi Restaurant Business Plan – Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
The future of a business lies in the number of loyal customers they have, the capacity and competence of their employees, their investment strategy and the business structure. If all of these factors are missing from a business, then it won’t be too long before the business closes shop.
One of our major goals of starting Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC is to build a business that will survive off its own cash flow without the need for injecting finance from external sources once the business is officially running. We know that one of the ways of gaining approval and winning customers over is to retail our product offerings a little bit cheaper than what is obtainable in the market and we are well prepared to survive on lower profit margin for a while.
Tokyo Connect® Sushi Restaurant, LLC will make sure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that our staff welfare are well taken of. Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and retraining of our workforce is at the top burner.
As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of three years or more. We know that if that is put in place, we will be able to successfully hire and retain the best hands we can get in the industry; they will be more committed to help us build the business of our dreams.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Leasing of facility and remodeling the facility to fit into a standard sushi restaurant: In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of the Company’s Logo: Completed
- Graphic Designs and Printing of Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the needed furniture, racks, shelves, computers, electronic appliances, office appliances and CCTV: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and around the community: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Opening party/launching party planning: In Progress
- Compilation of our list of products that will be available in our shop: Completed
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – suppliers of fresh fish, ingredients, coffee, alcoholic drinks and soft drinks: In Progress