Are you about starting an air duct cleaning company? If YES, here is a detailed sample air duct cleaning business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE. As an aspiring entrepreneur who is ready to build a business that will survive the future, then you should build your business along the line of indispensable services.
One of such indispensable services is air duct cleaning. This type of business can be started by someone who is already into similar services such as heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) repairs and maintenance or even professional cleaning services.
If you have experience in this regard, it will be easier for you to start and effectively run an air duct cleaning business. Air duct cleaning is basically cleaning heating, ventilation and air conditioning air ducts or air ducts in a machine or device. When air ducts are properly cleaned, it enables the heating, ventilation and air conditioning device to perform maximally.
A Sample Air Duct Cleaning Business Plan Template
Table of Content
- 2. Executive Summary
- 5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
- 6. SWOT Analysis
- 7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- 13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
1. Industry Overview
Air duct cleaning business is part of the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) industry and the industry deals in the heating system, ventilation, and air-conditioning of a facility or a space (automobile, plane, ships, trains et al).
The truth is that heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning are interconnected especially when it comes providing conducive temperature in an indoor facility. HVAC systems is designed to provide ventilation, reduce air infiltration, and maintain pressure relationships between spaces.
The heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) industry is indeed a very large industry that covers operation and maintenance, system design and construction, equipment manufacturing and sales. In order to maintain high standard and best practices, manufacturers in the HVAC industry are regulated by organizations such as HARDI, ASHRAE, SMACNA, ACCA, Uniform Mechanical Code, International Mechanical Code, and AMCA.
Just like most industries within the handyman business, the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) industry has been recovering over the last five years. Within the stated period, there were appreciable increase in business activity and end user spending benefited business expansion plans and supported new enterprise in the industry, supporting the industry.
Going forward, the demand for heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) services is projected to rebound in the five years. As a matter of fact, the growth in the real estate industry and the growing trend of energy efficiency will definitely translate to growth in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) industry.
The Heating and Air-Conditioning Contractors industry is not dominated by any company. As a matter of fact, no company can boast of having more than 5.0% of the total annual revenue in the industry. The major players in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) industry are smaller firms that specialize in kinds of HVAC systems.
Similar to any other business, the demand for heating, ventilation and air conditioning services and products usually declined during recession period/economic downturn due to declining household spending and reduced demand from business clients. As the economy grows and income increases, there will be corresponding increase in the demand for heating, ventilation and air conditioning services.
The heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) industry is indeed a very large industry and pretty much thriving in developed countries such as United States of America, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Australia and Italy et al.
As a matter of fact, there are no companies with a leading market share in the industry. Statistics has it that in the united states of America alone, there are about 105,598 licensed and registered heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) related businesses responsible for employing about 437,894 employees and the industry rakes in a whooping sum of $82bn annually with an annual growth rate projected at 4.0 percent
The heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) related businesses all over the world are still enjoying good patronage particularly if they are well positioned and if they know how to reach out to their target market.
2. Executive Summary
Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is a standard and licensed HVAC retailing, servicing and maintenance company that will also provide top-notch air duct cleaning services to a wide range of clientele. The business will be located in will in North Charleston, South Carolina – United States of America and we will cover other neighboring cities.
We chose to operate in this city because we know that our products and services will be in high demand due to the growing activities in the real estate / construction industry.
Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. offer services such as Air vent cleaning, Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) cleaning, Furnace humidifier cleaning, Duct work (e.g. cooling, dust collection, exhaust, heating and ventilation) cleaning, Heating and ventilation system component (e.g. air registers, diffusers, and filters), maintenance and cleaning and other related cleaning service.
We are well trained and equipped to service the market segment that requires HVAC cleaning services. Although our intention of starting Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is to offer only the above stated services, but we will not close our doors to additional services as long as it does not affect our core services.
We have the plans to serve both individual clients (households) and corporate clients (industries and the government) as well. We are quite optimistic that our values and quality of service offering will help us drive our Air duct (HVAC) cleaning business to enviable heights and also help us attract the number of clients that will make the business highly profitable.
We will be dedicated to establishing good business relationship with our clients giving them value for their money and reasons for them to hire our services over and over again. We are quite aware that in order to become the number one choice in our city, we must continue to deliver quality services.
We are open to the use of latest technology in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) industry. No doubt our excellent customer service and the range of services we offer will position us to always welcome repeated customers.
Our client’s best interest will always come first, and everything we do will be guided by our values and professional ethics. We will ensure that we hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards by meeting our client’s needs precisely and completely.
Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is owned and managed by Engr. Billiard Jones. Engr. Jones graduated from Illinois Institute of Technology, he studied Mechanical Engineering with bias in refrigerator and air-conditioning. He has over 15 years of hands on experience working with some of the leading brands in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) industry in the United States of America.
3. Our Products and Services
Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is a licensed Air duct (HVAC) cleaning servicing and maintenance company that will offer a wide range of services that revolves around the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) industry. We intend giving our customers reasons to always come back which is why we have customized our services. These are the services we will offer as a Air duct (HVAC) cleaning, servicing and maintenance company;
- Air vent cleaning
- Furnace humidifier cleaning
- Duct work (e.g. cooling, dust collection, exhaust, heating and ventilation) cleaning,
- Heating and ventilation system component (e.g. air registers, diffusers, and filters) maintenance and cleaning
- Other related cleaning and maintenance services
4. Our Mission and Vision Statement
- Our Vision is to become the number one Air duct (HVAC) cleaning servicing and maintenance company in the whole of North Charleston – South Carolina with active presence in major cities in the United States of America.
- Our mission as an Air duct (HVAC) cleaning, servicing and maintenance company is to develop a highly successful Air duct (HVAC) cleaning and maintenance business which provides quality services in our community and to become a standard for an ideal Air duct (HVAC) cleaning business not only in the State of South Carolina but also throughout the United States of America.
Our Business Structure
We are quite aware that the success of any business lies in the foundation on which the business is built on, which is why we have decided to build our Air duct (HVAC) cleaning servicing and maintenance company on the right business foundation.
As a matter of fact, we are set out to build an Air duct (HVAC) cleaning business that will be a standard for the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) industry in the United States of America.
We are aware that it takes a business with the right employees and structure to achieve all what we have set to achieve, which is why will be putting structures and processes in place that will help us deliver excellent services and run the business on auto pilot.
With the wide range of our service offerings, we are only expected to employ more than it is required to run a conventional Air duct (HVAC) cleaning business. Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. will employ professionals and skilled people to occupy the following positions;
- Chief Executive Officer
- Human Resource and Admin Manager
- Marketing and Sales Executive
- Air duct (HVAC) Cleaning Technicians (6)
- Client Service Executive
- Truck/Van Driver
5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Executive Officer – CEO:
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results
- Creating, communicating, and implementing the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- Responsible for fixing prices and signing business deals
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization
Admin and HR Manager
- Responsible for overseeing the smooth running of HR and administrative tasks for the organization
- Regularly hold meetings with key stakeholders to review the effectiveness of HR Policies, Procedures and Processes
- Maintains office supplies by checking stocks; placing and expediting orders; evaluating new products.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
- Defining job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Carrying out induction for new team members
- Responsible for training, evaluation and assessment of employees
- Responsible for arranging travel, meetings and appointments
- Oversee the smooth running of the daily office activities.
Marketing and Sales Executive
- Identify, prioritize, and reach out to new clients, and business opportunities et al
- Identifies development opportunities
- Writing winning proposal documents, negotiate fees and rates in line with organizations’ policy
- Responsible for handling business research, market surveys and feasibility studies
- Responsible for supervising implementation, advocate for the customer’s needs, and communicate with clients
- Develop, execute and evaluate new plans for expanding increase sales
- Document all customer contact and information
- Represent Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. in strategic meetings
- Help increase sales and growth for Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc.
- Responsible for preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization
- Provides managements with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting for the organization
- Responsible for developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- Ensuring compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc.
- Serves as internal auditor for Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc.
Client Service Executive
- Welcomes clients and visitors by greeting them in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Ensures that all contacts with clients (e-mail, walk-In center, SMS or phone) provides the client with a personalized customer service experience of the highest level
- Through interaction with clients on the phone, uses every opportunity to build client’s interest in the company’s products and services
- Consistently stays abreast of any new information on the organizations’ services to ensure accurate and helpful information is supplied to clients when they make enquiries
Air duct (HVAC) Technicians (6):
- Responsible for handling Air vent cleaning, Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) cleaning, Furnace humidifier cleaning, Duct work (e.g. cooling, dust collection, exhaust, heating and ventilation) cleaning, Heating and ventilation system component (e.g. air registers, diffusers, and filters) maintenance and cleaning and other related cleaning services
- Handle any other duty as assigned by the manager.
- Responsible for transporting equipment, supplies and workers to project site
- Runs errand for the organization
6. SWOT Analysis
We are building a standard Air duct (HVAC) cleaning business with a variety of services which is why we have decided to subject our business idea to SWOT Analysis.
Ordinarily, we can successfully run an Air duct (HVAC) cleaning business without going through the protocol of setting up a new business including writing a detailed business plan, but because of the kind of Air duct (HVAC) cleaning business we want to establish, we don’t have any option other than to follow due process.
We hired the services of Mr. Long – John Boniface, a HR and Business consultant with bias in startups to help us conduct SWOT analysis for our company and he did a pretty job for us. Here is a of the result we got from the SWOT analysis that was conducted on behalf of Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc.;
Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is located in a thriving real estate and business district in North Charleston – South Carolina; our location is in fact one of our major strengths. Another strength that counts for us is the power of our team; our workforce and management. We have a team that is dedicated and well – groomed in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) cleaning industry.
Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is owned by an individual, and we may not have the financial muscle to sustain the kind of publicity we want to give our business and also to attract some of the highly experienced technicians in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) cleaning industry.
We are centrally located in one of the busiest areas in North Charleston, South Carolina and we are open to all the available opportunities that the city has to offer. Our business concept also positioned us to be a one stop shop in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) cleaning services industry.
Some of the threats that are likely going to confront Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is unfavorable government policies, downturn in the economy which is likely going to affect consumers spending, and of course emergence of new competitors within our location.
7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
If you are conversant with the recent trends in the real estate/construction industry, you will notice that in recent building constructions, the design, installation, and control systems of these functions are integrated into one or more HVAC systems. This goes to show that the HVAC industry is indeed playing a major role in the construction industry.
The Air duct (HVAC) cleaning business responds to increase in household spending and improvement in the economy which is why it trendy to find air duct (HVAC) cleaning and maintenance services businesses located around areas where construction, renovation projects and real estate business is truly thriving.
Another common trend over the years in the industry is that it is quite difficult to find a company dominating the industry; the industry is open to as many people that have what it takes to favorably compete in the industry.
8. Our Target Market
Before choosing a location for our Air duct (HVAC) cleaning business, we conducted our feasibility studies and market survey and we were able to identify those who will benefit greatly from our service offerings.
Those who will benefit from our service offering are households, facility managers, real estate companies, constructions companies and the government. Below is a list of the people and organizations that our air duct (HVAC) cleaning and maintenance service is designed for;
- Offices and production facilities
- Facility managers
- Hotels and Motels
- Residential areas
- Religious Centers
- Medical facility
Our competitive edge is that Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is centrally located in a thriving real estate and business district in North Charleston – South Carolina; our location is in fact one of our top competitive edge. Another competitive edge that we are bringing to the table is the power of our team; our workforce and management. We have a team that are well – groomed in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) industry.
We can confidently say that the location of Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. will definitely count as a positive for us amongst any competitor that might start an Air duct (HVAC) cleaning business or any other related business in same location where ours is located. For the time being, Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. has no real competitors that can compete with the services we offer.
Lastly, all our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category in the industry. It will enable them to be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and objectives.
9. SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is established with the aim of maximizing profits in the industry and we are going to ensure that we do all it takes to attract both clients on a regular basis. Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. will generate income by offering the following services;
- Air vent cleaning
- Furnace humidifier cleaning
- Duct work (e.g. cooling, dust collection, exhaust, heating and ventilation) cleaning,
- Heating and ventilation system component (e.g. air registers, diffusers, and filters) maintenance and cleaning
- Other related cleaning and maintenance services
10. Sales Forecast
One thing is certain, there would always be clients who would need the services of an Air duct (HVAC) cleaning business.
We are well positioned to take on the available market in North Charleston, South Carolina and we are quite optimistic that we will meet our set target of generating enough income/profits from our first six months of operation and grow our Air duct (HVAC) cleaning business and our clientele base.
We have been able to examine the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) cleaning and maintenance industry, we have analyzed our chances in the industry and we have been able to come up with the following sales forecast.
Below is the sales projection for Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc., it is based on the location of our business and of course the wide range of related services that we will be offering;
- First Fiscal Year (FY1): $250,000
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2): $550,000
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3): $1,000,000
N.B: This projection was done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown and there won’t be any major competitor offering same services as we do within same location. Please note that the above projection might be lower and at the same time it might be higher.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
The marketing strategy for Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is going to be driven by our excellent customers service and quality service delivery. We will ensure that we build a loyal customer base. We want to drive sales via the output of our jobs and via referral from our satisfied customers.
Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is strategically located and we are going to maximize the opportunities that are available which is why we spend more to locate the business in a location that will be visible and accessible to our target market.
Our sales and marketing team will be recruited based on their vast experience in the industry and they will be trained on a regular basis so as to be well equipped to meet their targets and the overall goal of Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc.
Our goal is to grow Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. to become the leading Air duct (HVAC) cleaning company in North Charleston, South Carolina which is why we have mapped out strategies that will help us take advantage of the available market and grow to become a major force to reckon with in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) cleaning and maintenance industry.
Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is set to make use of the following marketing and sales strategies;
- Introduce our Air duct (HVAC) cleaning servicing and maintenance business by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to corporate organizations, households and key stake holders in North Charleston, South Carolina.
- Print out fliers and business cards and strategically drop them in offices, libraries, public facilities and train stations et al.
- Use friends and family to spread word about our business
- Post information about Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. and the services we offer on bulletin boards in places like schools, libraries, and local coffee shops et al
- Placing a small or classified advertisement in the newspaper, or local publication about Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. and the services we offer
- Leverage on referral networks such as agencies that will attract clients who would need our services
- Advertise Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. in relevant magazines, newspapers, TV and radio stations
- Attend relevant expos, seminars, and business fairs et al to market our services
- Engage in direct marketing approach
- Join local chambers of commerce and industry to market our services.
11. Publicity and Advertising Strategy
Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is set to create a standard for Air duct (HVAC) cleaning business in North Charleston, South Carolina and throughout the United States of America which is why we will adopt and apply best practices to promote our business.
Good enough there is no hard and fast rule on how to advertise our Air duct (HVAC) cleaning servicing and maintenance business. Here are the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote and advertise Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc.;
- Encourage our loyal customers to help us use Word of Mouth mode of advertisement (referrals)
- Advertise our Air duct (HVAC) cleaning servicing and maintenance business in relevant magazines, local newspaper, local TV and radio stations
- Promote our business online via our official website
- List our business on local directories (yellow pages)
- Sponsor relevant community programs
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Facebook, twitter, et al to promote our brand
- Install our boards in strategic locations all across North Charleston and other neighboring cities
- Leverage Direct coupon mailing approach
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas such as construction sites, residential estates and business districts et al
12. Our Pricing Strategy
Our pricing system is going to be based on what is obtainable in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) cleaning and maintenance services industry, we don’t intend to charge more (except for premium and customized services) and we don’t intend to charge less than our competitors are offering in North Charleston, South Carolina.
Be that as it may, we have put plans in place to offer discount services once in a while and also to reward our loyal customers especially when they refer clients to us.
- Payment Options
The payment policy adopted by Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the United States of America.
Here are the payment options that Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. will make available to her clients;
- Payment via bank transfer
- Payment with cash
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via mobile money
- Payment via Point of Sales Machines (POS Machines)
- Payment via check
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our clients make payments for our services without any stress on their part.
13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
We have been able to pull cash together that will be enough for us to successfully launch a standard Air duct (HVAC) cleaning company in North Charleston, South Carolina, US. These are the key areas where we will spend our startup capital on;
- The Total Fee for Registering the Business in North Charleston, South Carolina – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits – $1,500.
- Marketing promotion expenses (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of $3,580.
- The cost for hiring Business Consultant – $2,000.
- Insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $30,800.
- The cost for purchase of accounting software, CRM software and Payroll Software – $3,000
- The cost for leasing facility for our corporate office and store – $70,000.
- The cost for facility remodeling – $50,000.
- Other start-up expenses including stationery – $1000
- The amount needed for phone and utility deposits – ($3,500).
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $100,000
- The cost for Start-up inventory – $15,000
- The cost for (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $13,750
- The amount needed for the purchase of cleaning equipment and supplies – $50,000
- The cost for the purchase of furniture and gadgets (Computers, Printers, Telephone, TVs, tables and chairs et al) for the office: $4,000.
- The cost of launching our official Website: $600
- Miscellaneous: $5,000
We would need an estimate of two hundred and fifty thousand dollars ($250,000) to successfully set up our Air duct (HVAC) cleaning, servicing and maintenance company in North Charleston, South Carolina.
Generating Funds/Startup Capital for Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc.
Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is owned and managed by Engr. Billiard Jones. He decided to restrict the sourcing of the start-up capital for the business to just three major sources. These are the areas we intend generating our startup capital;
- Generate part of the startup capital from personal savings and sale of his stocks
- Generate part of the startup capital from friends and other extended family members
- Generate a larger chunk of the startup capital from the bank (loan facility).
N.B: We have been able to generate about $100,000 (Personal savings $70,000 and soft loan from family members $30,000) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $150,000 from our bank. All the papers and documents have been duly signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited.
14. Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
Part of our plans to sustain Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. is to ensure that we continue to deliver quality services. We are not going to relent in providing conducive environment for our workers and also the required trainings that will help them deliver excellent services at all times.
From our findings, another factor that kills new businesses is financial leakage. In order to plug financial leakages, the management of Billiard Jones® HVAC Cleanings, Inc. adopted the use of payment machine and accounting software to run the business.
We are quite aware that our customers are the key component to the growth and survival of our business hence we are going to continuously engage them to give us ideas on how to serve them better. We will not waste time in adopting new technology, best practices and diversifying our services.
Our key sustainability and expansion strategy as a business is to ensure that we only hire competent and technically sound employees, create a conducive working environment and offer employee benefits to our staff. We know that if we implement our business strategies, we will grow our Air duct (HVAC) cleaning company beyond North Charleston, South Carolina to other states in the U.S in record time.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Acquiring office facility and remodeling the facility: In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Printing of Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the needed pressure and industrial cleaning equipment, electronic appliances, office appliances, cleaning accessories and supplies: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: Completed
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and in the neighborhood: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured