Are you interested in doing business in the real estate / construction industry, but you lack the funds to float a business big time (real estate development company or construction company)? Then below are 20 small business ideas in the building materials industry.
As the world continues to develop and become civilized, the number of new buildings and houses continue to increase. Everywhere you go, people are building new hotels, houses, shopping complex, office complex, schools, restaurants, clubs etc. I was at my parent’s house the other day and a whole mass of land that used to be a bush had become so unrecognizable.
I was surprised to see that the whole place had changed so much with new buildings springing up everywhere. I could almost get lost if I wasn’t so used to the area. And everywhere you go, it’s the same thing. I am always teasing my friends saying “They say there’s economic recession and people are broke, so who are those building all these houses and where do they get the money from? I am quite sure they are not from outer space”
It’s a very good thing that people have learned to quit investing in wasting assets like cars and instead have learnt to invest in assets that increase in value like real estate. When you buy a car, there’s the tendency that you will need a change of vehicle in less than ten years but when you build a house, you will always have your house. You could rent it out, sell it for a profit or even renovate it if you no longer like the way it looks.
Okay, let’s not digress too much from the subject matter. We were talking about buildings springing up everywhere. More building projects means more business opportunities for people who are in the building materials industry or people who are currently thinking of investing in such a business. There are hundreds of business opportunities in the building materials industry but I picked up the hottest 20 for you;
Top 20 Small Business ideas in the Building Materials Industry
1. Aluminum doors and windows making-: As you already know, aluminum doors and windows are replacing wooden ones. The good thing about aluminum is that you can learn to make them on your own. Aluminum doors and windows are hot selling items in the building industry right now, so you can go ahead to learn how to make them or engage a team to make them for you while you sell.
2. Jacuzzi sales-: Jacuzzis are also becoming increasingly popular. You could start a business of selling and installing Jacuzzis’ in old and new homes.
3. Bathtub resurfacing-: Bathtubs and sinks could become discolored, broken or chipped. Not everyone can afford a new bathtub each time it looks like the bathtubs are getting old. A cost effective way of making bathtubs look good as new is resurfacing them. Some people would rather call it bathtub re-glazing.
4. Cabinet modeling & Replacement-: Nice looking cabinets in a home make the home look more beautiful. It can even be said that the home is not complete without nice cabinets. I doubt if a kitchen without a cabinet would look nice, which is why opportunities abound for you in cabinet making.
You can either import cabinets and fix them for people or make your own cabinets. If you will be importing cabinets, please remember to check up on the importation rules of your country to see if importing furniture is permitted, so you don’t get all your items seized.
5. Closet designing-: This is a trending business especially if you live in a country like Nigeria. Most homeowners, are incorporating closet spaces into their homes. The competition in this business is not so stiff in Nigeria, so you could easily join in this trending business.
6. Carpentry-: There’s hardly a building project that doesn’t need carpentry services. Who would fix in the roofs and decking?
7. Ceramic tiles sales and installation-: Ceramic tiles are also hot selling items in the building industry. Apart from selling ceramic tiles, you could also start a business of installing them in buildings for a fee.
8. Painting services-: You could also start a business of interior and exterior painting. In addition to this, you can also make and sell your own paints. Paints are not so hard to make, with a little bit of training, you should be able to make and package quality paints.
9. Chimney sales & repair-: No one wants a fire outbreak in their homes and that’s why they always need the services of someone who installs or repairs chimneys.
10. Block making-: Although there are other materials used for building houses, concrete blocks still remain the number one item used in construction. There are many block molding / making factories around but I am sure you won’t have a problem getting people to patronize you, if you distinguish yourself in the business by making quality blocks.
11. Cement Production or sales-: Block is important in construction, so is cement. Cement is generally in high demand and you would definitely make money from being a cement distributor, wholesaler or retailer. You could even start your own cement production business if you have enough funds.
12. Wooden floors making-: Some people prefer wooden floors in homes instead of tiles because it’s durable and lasts longer.
13. Mirror installation-: Mirrors are more than just a fashion accessory. Many people use mirrors in decorating and constructing their buildings especially in places like bars and nightclubs or even hotels. If you are skilled in the art, you could make good money from installing mirrors for people.
14. Office dividing services-: Due to the high cost of rent, space management has become very important. A good business you could start in the building materials industry is to sell materials that could be used for office dividing or even start an office division service yourself.
15. Wall paper sales-: Wall papers are also trending. You could start designing and selling your own wall papers too.
16. Roof installations-: You could also make money from selling roofing materials or offering roof installation services.
17. Solar panel installation-: Everyone is looking for ways to cut energy costs in the home. You can learn how to install solar panels. This is another trending business in the building materials industry.
18. Scaffolding sales and rentals-: You could also rent out scaffolds to people constructing high-rise buildings. Apart from scaffolds, there are other building equipment you could rent out such as mixers, ladders etc.
19. Waterproofing services-: It’s a common trend for wealthy people to build houses on islands or sites close to water. To protect their properties in case of flooding, they would usually engage waterproofing experts; so that even if there’s a flood, it wouldn’t result in a damage of expensive property.
20. Dog house installation-: Lastly, you can start a business of constructing dog houses so that those cute little pets could have a place to sleep.
- Dance Studio Financial Projection – Profit & Loss Statement - September 26, 2020
- Food Truck Financial Projection – Profit & Loss Statement - September 22, 2020
- Become a Concession Stand Worker – Job Description & Duties - September 18, 2020