Do you want to start a business in Georgia, USA? If YES, here are 50 best profitable small business ideas & investment opportunities in Georgia for 2020.
Small businesses have for a long time been having a very big impact in Georgia. According to the state data, 98 percent of businesses here are considered small and they have come to be a major driver of Georgia’s economy.
There are a lot of self-employment ideas and ventures that are available to people who wish to start up their own business and become entrepreneurs. Here are some business ideas in Georgia that any potential entrepreneur can startup and profit from.
50 Best Small Business ideas & Investment Opportunities in Georgia for 2020
1. Fishing: Georgia has a lot of beaches thanks to the Atlantic sea on one side and several rivers found in various parts of the state. These water bodies are home to a lot of sea food like fish (saltwater game fish like flounder, tarpon, shrimps, oysters; fresh water fish like trout, bass, catfish) and sea vegetables like sea weed etc. This makes fish a viable business that is worthy of consideration in Georgia.
2. Agriculture: Georgia boasts of a booming agricultural sector which provides a major contribution to the economy the United States of America. In fact, Agriculture contributes approximately $74.9 billion annually to Georgia’s economy, according to the UGA Center for Agribusiness & Economic Development.
The state is endowed with millions of acres of arable land used for farming, and the state is known for producing a wide variety of food and crops like peanuts, pecan, blueberries, onions, vegetables, corn, cotton to mention a few.
Furthermore, poultry and eggs business is evergreen as is the meat and dairy product industry. These are good businesses in agriculture to get into provided you are good at farming, have the prerequisite knowledge and have the passion for it.
3. General construction: the state of Georgia is endowed with construction grade limestone, barite, ocher and small amounts of coal which can be found in some parts of the state (mainly in the north-western part). You can decide to go into the mining business by processing these materials or even buying and selling them to earn money.
Another idea worth pursuing is to go into the construction business in this area. Even if you choose not go directly into the mining proper, there are secondary businesses that can be developed such as offering truck service for transporting the materials and so on.
4. Tour guide: Georgia is blessed with a lot of tourist attractions which a lot of people will love to visit. One can open a tour guide business where travelers can not only make arrangements for tourist sites to visit but to also serve as a guide when they go to those sites. You can set up a website for your business to get started.
5. Car rental service: This type of business will thrive in a state like Georgia due to the beehive of commercial activities that occur in most cities in the state. The use of cars are almost inevitable in most of our daily activities, especially if our businesses involve moving from one location to the other.
Thus, car rental services will definitely be required by people for different reasons. You can rent out cars to tourists and visitors in Georgia. Apart from having a car or cars for this business, you do not need any startup capital for this business. In recent time, airline prices have been on a steady increase and as such a lot of people are in need to a cost effective alternative for their transportation and traveling needs.
With proper planning and management, a car rental business can be quite a viable and lucrative business which potential entrepreneurs can key into. Contrary to what a lot of people think, setting up a car rental agency is not as cost intensive as one may think. With the aid of a telephone number, a website and a few cars, you can set up shop and start operating a car rental.
With this business, you can rent your cars to travelers who do not want to add mileages to their own vehicles. Alternatively, you can also offer event car rental service. This business entails renting out you vehicles for events such as weddings, proms, burials and other such events. If you are buoyant, you can also offer exotic car rental.
6. Bicycle repair and sales: Due to the plentiful opportunities that exist in this state, a lot of businesses can become very successful when properly managed and harnessed. One other business that will be quite profitable in Georgia is running a bicycle repair shop.
Due to its large population, traffic in the state can be quite a challenge. Bicycles are good alternatives to vehicles and motorcycles while also serving as a means of exercising the body as well. One could also own a shop that sells them or their parts.
7. Grocery Store Business: a grocery store is one business that has been known to always thrive among Americans. This is because they can hardly do without groceries. Before you start this business, ensure you have suppliers that would provide you with fresh items all the time.
Also, promptly sell out items that are few weeks from their expiry date at a discount and remove all items that have expired from your shelf. Following these simple tips will encourage customer loyalty to your business. The startup capital for this business would be determined by the size and scope of the business.
8. Anti-Aging Spa: Nowadays, almost everyone wants to look younger by maintaining a fresh looking skin. Thus, a lot of people are in need of effective anti-ageing treatment that will help them get the type of skin they want. This implies that there are more demands for skin treatment procedures and treatments to prevent aging. Even in a state like Georgia, running an anti-aging spa will be very profitable as long as you offer good customer services to your clients.
9. E-commerce: the e-commerce wave did not spare any part of the world. E-commerce websites like Amazon, Aliexpress et al. have revolutionized the way we shop for our wants and needs. You can make money and create jobs by starting your own e-commerce website where you will retail items for profit.
10. Blog: a blog is an individual website that is updated on a regular basis. There are many different ways a blog can be monetized so you should not stick to just one. You can make money through blogging by putting up adverts on your blog, selling your own courses and books, affiliate marketing and of course Google AdSense. Blogging have made some tenacious and hardworking people millionaires in recent years.
11. Affiliate marketing: this is another way to generate income online. This however involves the marketing of other people’s or company’s products on your website, while you get a commission when someone makes a purchase through your advert link.
12. Windshield Repair: if you have knowledge about windshield repair you can monetize it and make money from it. When you visit car parks and marts you should be on the lookout for broken or bad windshields, meet the owner(s) and offer to render repair services. You can generate reasonable side income through this business. You will need to have a little capital to invest in basic work tools.
13. Private Investigation: private detective or private investigators (PI) are independent investigators that typically work for public and private sector clients to help conduct investigation and solve cases. A private investigator can help to conduct surveillance and background checks on individuals, conduct pre-employment verification, guard high profile people, interview people related to cases; find missing people and valuables among other functions.
You can also work as a private investigator for individuals seeking information or an attorney watching out for evidence for a case. You need to be smart, intelligent and analytical to venture into this type of business. No startup capital is required to start a private investigation business.
14. Business Plan Consulting: If you have good knowledge of business process and project management, you can use that knowledge to become an efficient and effective business plan consultant. There are many public and private organizations in the state of Georgia and thus, you have a viable market to showcase your skills and earn income at the same time. This business can be done on a part-time or full-time basis.
15. Relocation Service: Relocating from one location to the other is a common activity that is not peculiar to the state of Georgia alone. Moving one’s belongings to a new home or office is a tedious task. Thus, they engage the services of entrepreneurs that specialize in packing and unpacking items. This business can be done by college students or other able-bodied men and women. You do not need any capital to start this business. You can do this business as a full time job or as a part time venture.
16. Travel Management: In a commercial city like Georgia, many people travel in and out of the state for business purposes. You can venture into travel management business which has a large market. Due to the saturated nature of the travel business in Georgia, you need to be strategic and create special packages for your new, existing and prospective clients to foster repeat purchase. Book low price tickets and give discounts to loyal customers to increase your market chances. Prior knowledge of the travel industry is necessary to excel in this business.
17. Carpet Dyeing: This business is quite viable in Georgia due to the high influx of people that patronize stores, hotels, community centers amongst others where these carpets are used m. In that vein, it is necessary that the owners or managers of these buildings ensure that the floors are in good condition to boost its aesthetics. This service simply involves dying carpets that are fading out or has dirt’s or other unsightly marks in order to reduce cost that would have been incurred from out rightly buying a new carpet.
18. Hospital Bill Auditing: A lot of patients do not understand the bills given to them after being treated in a hospital. If you are billing savvy and pay attention to the minutest details, then the work of a hospital bill auditor might be right for you. This job entails helping patients to analyze and scrutinize the bills issued to them in hospitals. This business is viable if you market your services well. No capital is required to start the hospital bill auditing business.
19. Specialized Staffing: If you are a skilled human resource manager, you can help employers in Georgia with their recruitment process by helping them to select reliable and qualified staff members to fill vacant positions. Also, you can serve as a consultant to experienced professionals that want to change jobs. By venturing into these, you then have different means of generating income within one business line. Usually, it is required of you to have an office and get registered with relevant bodies.
20. Bookkeeping: Although there are several software that makes the bookkeeping task easier, they however do not make the task less time-consuming and still need to be manned by an experienced personnel. Due to this fact, it is not rare that some organizations still engage the services of book-keepers to carry out tasks. You need to be knowledgeable about different accounting software and packages. This business can be done on part-time basis with no required startup capital.
21. Computer Repair: With the increase in technology and the frequent use computer systems to carry out various tasks, users mostly take their computer systems for repair rather than replacement when it develops faults. You need to have good knowledge of computer hardware to function effectively in this business line. Medium startup capital is required if you are setting up a repair workshop and investing in some work tools.
22. Tourism Consultancy Services: This business idea has good prospects in Georgia due to the high rate of travels and tourist activities that occur in the state. Also, the state is a link-way to many countries. You need to be trained, certified and get your business registered if you want to venture into tourism consultancy services. Medium capital is needed to start this business.
23. Senior Care: on a yearly basis, the number of elderly people in Georgia (just like in almost every other place) keeps increasing. Therefore, the demand for senior citizen care will always be in higher demand. Health-related or non-health services like cooking, running errands, driving, body massage, can be rendered to these senior citizens.
There are also business opportunities in retirement real estate. This involves selling real estates to retired people in choice areas mostly suitable for senior citizens. You need to be patient and friendly if you are rendering health or non-health related services to these types of people.
24. Event or Party Planner: If you enjoy organizing and planning parties, then this business is suitable for you. As an event or party planner, you need to be familiar with different trends and have good bargaining skills. It is also advisable you specialize in specific sectors like corporate events or weddings. This business can be done on large, medium or small scale.
25. Window Cleaning Service: First impression they say lasts longer. For many stores, offices and companies, the need to keep their external ambiance clean is paramount to them. One of the steps they take to achieve this is by engaging the services of window cleaners. With the numerous stores in Georgia, this business is viable. You can start this business in your locality till it expands. There is need to invest in simple cleaning tools to start this business.
26. Music tutelage: if you are knowledgeable and passionate about music, then you can make a career off teaching music. If you can sing or play a musical instrument, then you can market this skill by teaching others what you know and thus make money from it.
27. Content marketing writer: a lot of companies are in need of qualified and effective individuals who can promote their business and product on social media. Content marketing writer are tasked with designing, editing and managing digital communication materials. They work hand in hand with marketing staff to ensure that the entire marketing process is very successful.
28. Pet sitting service: if you are a lover of pets, you can delve into pet sitting services and make money from it as well. Pet sitting generally involves taking care of pets in the comfort of their own surroundings. It should not be confused with pet boarding which involves taking the animal to your own home. Apart from pet sitting, pet sitters usually offer services like dog walking, pooper scooper, pet taxi and even house sitting. As a pet sitter, you do not need a trade business license, however, it is advisable to register your business with the state.
29. Freelance writing: there are a lot of websites that are in need content particularly large blog sites that need a lot of content due to the amount of traffic they have on their website on a daily basis. So to get additional content, they have to hire additional writers to write content for them.
They may tell you the topics they need or you may have to come up with an idea for a topic on your own that is related to a particular niche. Alternatively, you can offer your service as a freelance writer on freelance websites such as Upwork, SEOclerk, Fiverr, Freelancer et al.
30. YouTube Channel: Every day, over 5 billion videos are watched on YouTube and your video can be one of them. When well-managed, a YouTube channel can be just as or even more profitable than a traditional blog. For starters, you don’t require a domain nor do you need to spend money on hosting your channel.
You also have a large audience and a readymade platform for you to work with. Furthermore, AdSense approval through YouTube is easy and what’s more, you can start earning from the very first day you create your account and make a post. You can just go to YouTube, upload a video and get started from there.
There are tons and tons of niches to choose from like online reviews, comedy, how-to, real estate, business, gaming, and motivation channels etc. You can get paid by enabling Google AdSense on your channel, through sponsored videos and through sale of your services or the services of others on YouTube.
31. Meat store: a meat store provides a viable business opportunity for people who have an interest in providing with a wide variety of quality meat and better customer care that may be available in a tradition grocery shop. To start a meat store, you do not need any special certificate or skill; however you will need to know how to open, manage and operate the store.
32. Security services: an adequate security arrangement is a must have for all businesses. Businesses hire security outfits to help them secure and protect their assets and staff. Due to the fact that a lot of businesses have been sprouting up in Georgia, it has created a need for security services. To start a security service, you will need to register you business and subsequently get a license to be able to operate.
33. Taxi driver or chauffeur: due to the large population of Georgia, it is easy to key into transporting passengers in taxis, vans, and limousines or even with their own personal car through the use of some ride sharing apps like Uber and Taxify. This service is needed by taxi and limousine services and car dealerships.
34. Translation and interpreter services: Even though there is a lot of translation software out there that claim to be able to translate transcripts, most of them are frauds or pale in comparison to an actual human being that is skilled at this.
Also, there is almost no software that can accurately translate an audio from another language to text. If you know more than one language, you can make some money by translating documents from English to other languages or vice versa or by interpreting spoken language for people who would need such a service.
35. Laundry service: in addition to offering laundry service, you can capitalize on the trend of people being too busy to be able to take care of their laundry. You can offer wash and fold service and dry cleaning services to such customers.
You can even offer to pick up their clothes from their homes and then deliver it back to them in a clean and fresh state. There is also a current trend now where laundry services offer additional non-laundry related services such as food, renting mailbox, offering free internet et al in other to make even more profit.
36. Advertisement agency: Georgia is home to a lot of businesses that need promotion so as to increase their visibility to the teaming populace of the city. With this you can help to create captivating adverts and thus help them promote a business.
37. Gas station: fuel is a one of the necessities that is needed to operate cars, trucks and a host of their machineries. A gas station can be quite profitable in Georgia thanks to the large number of individuals who live in the city. You can also engage in dispensing alternative sources of fuel such as biofuel.
39. Ice Cream Shop: an Ice cream shop is another cool retailing business that any serious minded entrepreneur can successfully start. It is a business that requires little training and skills to set-up and manage. If you are looking towards starting this type of business, and you don’t have the skills, you can quickly take a course.
It is likely not going to take you more than a week to learn how to make different flavors of ice cream. Even if you don’t have the required capital to rent and equip a shop, you can operate a mobile ice cream shop. Mobile ice cream shop will give you the opportunity to change location from time to time and to go to places where you know you are likely going to generate more sales.
40. Marketing representative: a marketing representative or market rep is a person who is tasked with selling products or services on behalf of a business or a company. The marketing representative is able to accomplish his job by either going into the field to find new customers, making use of an online platform or by servicing the already existing customer so that they will continue being loyal to the product or brand.
The marketing representative serves as the face of the company or product and people will always associate him with the product or service they represent. To be a good marketing representative, you will have to have an exhaustive knowledge of the product or service that you intend to market. You should also have the drive and enthusiasm so as to enable you do your work effectively.
41. Restaurant business: a well-positioned restaurant that offers quality food and service is sure to generate a lot of income for the owner of such a business. In fact, according to the Georgia’s restaurant association, there are over 13,000 food service organizations in the state alone and they generate more than $14 billion and create millions of job opportunities for a lot of people in the state.
One good thing about the restaurant business is that an owner has the sole right to determine the price they want to sell their menu irrespective of what others around may sell their food for, especially if they are good with the delicacies they whip up.
There are various kinds of restaurants you can choose to start if you are interested in opening a restaurant. Examples include fast food restaurants, intercontinental restaurants, local restaurants, family style cafeterias, casual dining restaurants, and fast casual restaurants, amongst others.
42. Bookstore: a bookstore is a store where books of different genre from different authors are sold. There is a large market for books especially if you have done your homework before stocking your bookshop with books. In addition to operating a bookstore from a physical location, it will also be advantageous to also have an online store from where your customers can easily buy your books.
43. Veterinary clinic: if you have the prerequisite qualification (that is, if you are a qualified veterinary doctor) then this is a business you can easily start and earn money from. As a veterinary clinician, you will be tasked with taking care the health and well-being of animals and pets.
44. Auto repair shop: as long as a car is being used, there will also be a need to periodically service or repair it. In the United States, the average age of cars is 10 years and thus most cars will need a repair due to the wear and tear they will experience thanks to constant usage. For these reasons, an auto repair shop will always be a viable business in Georgia.
45. Sale of Auto Spare Parts: this is a business that can also go hand in hand with an auto repair shop. As long as people repair automobiles, the need for their spare parts will always be there. Auto spare parts business is indeed a profitable business because the replacement of damaged or worn-out auto parts is compulsory if you want your vehicle to continue to be on the road and serve the purpose you bought it for.
Although you don’t need a college degree to establish your own auto spare parts store, but you would need some form of informal training, and you may have to work as an apprentice with someone who owns an auto spare parts store. It makes it easier for you to learn the ropes in the business.
46. Event planning: if you have strong planning and organizational skills then you can offer your services as an event planner. Event planning does not require any special degree or certification. The United States government has projected that there will be a 40 percent growth by the year 2020 in event planning.
47. Massage parlor: a massage parlor offers massages to its customers. Their therapists are able to manually manipulate the soft tissues of the body and bring them to their normal state. To become a certified massage therapist, you will need a license from the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Body Work.
48. Consignment Store: Opening a consignment store is yet another profitable and thriving business that an entrepreneur who is looking towards starting a business in Georgia can successfully launch with little start-up capital.
Consignment business is all about selling used stuff such as electronics, shoes, clothes, caps, bags and kitchen wares etc. So if you are looking towards starting a business, then one of your options is to open a consignment store. It is a cool means of earning money.
49. Real estate: real estate is also a diversified field that presents lots of business opportunities for any serious minded business person. As a real estate agent, you will be tasked with helping buyers find a suitable land or house and helping sellers’ market and sell their houses or land.
They also help potential sellers to determine the current market price of their houses, advertise their home to potential buyers, arrange for interested buyers to view the property and also guide the buyer or seller through the negotiation process.
50. Carpentry business: starting a carpentry business is also a very viable career option in Georgia. To become a skilled and proficient carpenter you will need to have the skill. You can learn about carpentry from a technical college or via apprenticeship in the hands of an already established carpenter. As a carpenter, you can either specialize in the roofing and construction aspect of carpentry or the finishing aspects.
51. Dog breeding service: if you are someone who loves pets, then this business is for you. This business can be time intensive as well as money intensive. Amongst domestic animals, dogs are considered to be one of the closest companions of humans. If you are looking towards setting up your kennel, ensure that you source for dog breeds that are highly marketable in your area.
In conclusion, starting a well-planned business in Georgia can be quite profitable due the flexible business environment that the state offers. However, it is still necessary that one adopts that various strategies that will encourage the growth of his or her business.
Whatever you set your mind to do, you can achieve; it’s a matter of self-discipline, determination, lots of patience, passion and love for the job. Go ahead, spread your wings and take a leap of faith as you jump and grab hold of any of the major business opportunities available in Georgia. After all, life is risk but this risk just might pay off in the end.
Why Start a Business in Georgia, USA?
Georgia is a state that is located in the South eastern part of the United States of America. The state is comprised of coastal marshlands, farmlands and beaches. In the United States, Georgia is ranked as the 8th most populated state, thus it provides a viable ground for a lot of businesses.
Small businesses in Georgia employ over 1.5 million people or 44.0 percent of the private workforce. When it comes to ease of doing business, the state of Georgia is ranked the 18th most favorable country in the world. Thus, businesses have a higher chance of surviving in Georgia when compared to other states or even countries.
Small business owners in Georgia have been quoted to say that the state is a “business-friendly state” with reasonable taxes and relatively straightforward regulations. Even though having access to capital to start and expand a business continues to remain a challenge, Georgia’s labor market is healthy and people are looking for work.
Still, it is generally believed that the worst is over and that Georgians are now chugging along on a healthy path. Small business owners say there is plenty of opportunity right now in this corner of the Deep South. One of the key factors to take into consideration when starting a business in any place (Georgia inclusive) is the location you set it up in.
The state of Georgia consists of towns like Athens and Augusta which are both college towns that usually host the Masters Golf tournament which witnesses an in-flock of people from all parts of the country. This event presents a lot of opportunities for people who sell products or offer other services to sports enthusiasts who attend the events.
Savannah is also a very popular city Georgia that attracts a lot of tourists. The city is quite popular for its 18th and 19th century buildings, architecture and beautiful public squares. Apart from the aforementioned sites, there are a plethora of other sites in Georgia that are very viable and ripe for business.
Latest posts by Ajaero Tony Martins (see all)
- A Sample Music Venue Business Plan Template - February 2, 2020
- A Sample Indoor Shrimp Farming Business Plan Template - February 2, 2020
- How Long You Have to Buy Insurance After Buying a Used Car - January 29, 2020