Do you want to start a massage business and you want to know the cost breakdown? If YES, here are factors that affect the cost of opening a massage business.
Generally, massage therapists provide health and wellness services, such as therapeutic massage, sports massage, and other similar services. As a matter of fact, close to 50 percent of massage therapies performed are considered to assist with specific health conditions and injury rehabilitation compared to one third of those who received massage for relaxation and stress management.
When we talk about massage therapy business, we are talking of a profitable business that involves offering healthcare related services that helps people get fully healed from an ailment or to help people soothe their muscle soreness, improve their sleep, boost their immune system function, increase their mental alertness, ease the effects of cancer treatments, alleviate depression, and ultimately reduce stress.
Startup Expenditure (Budget) for Starting a Message Therapy Clinic/Business
In setting up any business, the amount or cost will depend on the approach and scale you want to undertake. If you intend to go big by leasing or acquiring your own facility, then you would need a good amount of capital as you would need to ensure that your employees are well taken care of, and that your facility is conducive enough for workers to be creative and productive.
This means that the start-up can either be low or high depending on your goals, vision and aspirations for your business or if you choose to purchase fairly used equipment or brand – new equipment. The tools and equipment that will be used are nearly the same cost everywhere, and any difference in prices would be minimal and can be overlooked.
As for the detailed cost analysis for starting a massage therapy business; it might differ in other countries due to the value of their money. These are the key areas where you are expected to spend your startup capital on;
- The total fee for registering the business in the United States of America – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services (animation software, P.O.S machines and other software) – $3,300.
- Marketing promotion expenses for the grand opening of the massage therapy clinic in the amount of $3,500 and as well as flyer printing (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of $3,580.
- The total cost for hiring a business consultant including writing a business plan – $2,500.
- The total cost for the purchase of insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – ,400.
- The cost for renting or leasing an office facility (clinic facility) and that can accommodate the number of customers per time (Re – construction of the facility inclusive) will cost – $80,000.
- Other start-up expenses including, commercial satellite TV subscriptions, stationery ($500) and phone and utility deposits ($2,800).
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $40,000
- The cost for start-up inventory (stocking with a wide range of therapeutic (massage) oil, and other medical supplies) – $15,000
- The cost for store equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $4,750
- The cost of purchase and installation of CCTVs: $2,000
- The cost for equipping the massage therapy clinic (NordicTrack system, Treatment Tables, Therapeutic ultrasound equipment, Isokinetic devices, Electrical Muscle Stimulation, and Internet Server, Flat Screen TVs, sound system, DVD players, Satellite dish and decoder, furniture (table, stools and sofas), telephones, filing cabinets) will cost – $180,000
- The cost of launching a website: $600
- The cost of opening party: $3,000
- Miscellaneous: $2,000
From the rough estimate as listed above, you would need a minimum of three hundred and ninety – eight thousand nine hundred USD ($398,900) to establish a medium – scale but standard massage therapy clinic in any city in the United States of America. Please note that this amount includes the salaries of all the staff for the first three months of operation.
Please note that this is a rough estimate and we usually advise our readers who are interested in opening a massage therapy clinic to go to the market or directly contact wholesalers and suppliers of therapeutic supplies which can include; NordicTrack system, Treatment Tables, Therapeutic ultrasound equipment, Isokinetic devices, and Electrical Muscle Stimulation et al, and related gadgets they want to have in their massage therapy clinic in order to get the real time prices of these items.
The truth is that if you are a good bargainer, you can get a better deal that will help you beat down the estimated price as listed above and yet successfully open a world class massage therapy clinic in an ideal location in any city in the United States of America.