Are you about starting a dessert bar company? If YES, here is a complete sample dessert bar business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a dessert bar company. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample dessert bar marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for dessert bar companies. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
The key to a successful business is getting it right from the onset, and some of the things you need to do to get it right is to make sure that your products or services will be paid for by people in your location. The truth is that if you get things wrong from the onset, you will struggle for a while before gaining stability in your business.
Starting a dessert bar business is one sure way of making money because desserts are consumed by a lot of people who typically use it as a meal accompaniment.
If you are sure this type of business is what you truly want to do after you must have conducted your research, then the next step to follow is to write a good business plan; a detailed blueprint of how you intend raising your seed capital, setting up the business, managing the flow of the business, sorting out tax and marketing your products.
Below is a sample dessert bar business plan template that will help you to successfully write yours without much stress.
A Sample Dessert Bar Business Plan Template
Table of Content
- 2. Executive Summary
- 5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
- 6. SWOT Analysis
- 7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- 13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
1. Industry Overview
Dessert bars are a type of American “bar cookie” that has the texture of a firm cake or softer than the usual cookie. They are prepared in a pan and then baked in the oven.
They are cut into squares or rectangles. The ingredients used in the production of desserts are sugar, eggs, butter, flour and milk; common ingredients are chocolate chips, nuts, raspberry jam, coconut, cocoa powder, graham cracker, pudding, mini-marshmallows and peanut butter. More exotic bars can be made with ingredients including sour cream, rhubarb, pretzels, candies, vanilla, raisins, and pumpkin
Happenings in the dessert bar industry indicate that the industry has gained ground in the united states in recent years. Loads of factors are responsible for influencing demand for desserts, especially the increasing health consciousness of consumers, higher input costs and the emergence of dessert bars.
The revenue growth for the industry will be more subdued going forward, as competition from healthier dessert substitutes intensifies. Consumers are increasingly moving away from desserts as the level of health consciousness in the United States rises. Nevertheless, dessert bar popularity during warm summer months is expected to cushion the industry from any serious declines in demand.
The Dessert Bar industry is indeed a thriving and profitable industry in most countries of the world. It is a major sector of the economy of the United States of America and it generates over $5 billion annually from more than 9,044 registered and licensed dessert bars and related store franchises scattered all around the United States of America.
The industry is responsible for the employment of over 108,410 people. Experts project that the industry will grow at a 3.2 percent annual rate between 2011 and 2016. The establishments with the lion shares of the available market in the industry are Baskin-Robbins, Cold Stone Creamery Dairy Queen and Rita’s Italian Ice.
Lastly, if you have plans to start your own dessert bar business in the United States, you should ensure that you carry out a thorough market survey and feasibility studies. If you get some key factors wrong before starting your dessert bar business, then you are likely going to struggle to stay afloat.
2. Executive Summary
Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC is a registered dessert bar production company that will be based in Broughton Street – Savannah, Ga., USA and will cover a wide range of clients.
We are in the dessert bar industry to retail variety of dessert bars served for consumption on premises and take away to a wide range of customers along the locations where we intend positioning our shop. We have put plans in place to also sell our franchise and offer consultancy services in line with our area of business.
We are in the dessert bar industry to favorably compete with other leading brands in the industry and our corporate business goal is to be among the top 5 brands in the dessert bar production line of business in the United States of America.
As a company, we are willing to go the extra mile to invest in some of the finest professionals we can find and also we have set plans in place to acquire the best of equipment when it comes to setting up a standard dessert bar production business.
Our dessert bar production shops are customized to fit into the kind of ideas we have of how a first-class dessert bar production business should look like. When it comes to hygiene and proper packaging, we have put plans, process and structures in place that will ensure that we are always at the top of our game. We have been able to secure permits from all relevant departments in Savannah – Georgia.
Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC is set to redefine how dessert bar stores should be run, not just in Savannah – Georgia, but also throughout the United States of America. This is why we have put plans in place for continuous training and retraining of all our staff at and also liaising with stake holders in the industry to contribute our quota in the way dessert bar making equipment should be fabricated to meet the ever-changing demand of the industry.
We are certain that the demand for dessert bars is not going to plummet any time soon especially during summer, which is why we have put plans in place to continue to explore all available markets where we will open our dessert bar business.
Our strongest selling point at Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC is the unique taste of the different flavors of dessert bars that we will produce and sell. There is hardly any customer that will taste any of our products who would not want to come back and make more purchase – we take great delight in welcoming repeated customers.
Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC will at all-time demonstrate her commitment to sustainability, both individually and as a firm, by actively participating in our communities and integrating sustainable business practices wherever possible. We will ensure that we hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards by meeting our customers’ needs precisely and completely whenever they patronize our dessert bars.
Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC is private business that is owned and financed by Orlando Perez. He has robust experience in the food and confectionaries industry and has a BSc. in food technology from the University of Georgia.
3. Our Products and Services
At Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC we deal in all forms and flavors of deserts bars, we are an establishment that primarily prepare and sell dessert bars in our store location. Our intention of starting Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC is to make profits from the dessert bar industry and we will do all that is permitted by the law of the United States to achieve our aim and ambition.
Here are some of our products and services;
- Dessert bars such as M&Ms cookie bars and raspberry bars, peanut butter bars, lemon bars, chocolate coconut bars, pineapple bars, apple bars, almond bars, toffee bars, chocolate cheesecake bars and the “famous” seven-layer bar.
- Training, consultancy and business advisory services
4. Our Mission and Vision Statement
- Over vision is to be amongst the top 5 leading dessert bar production companies in the United States of America before our 5th anniversary.
- Our mission is to build a world – class dessert bar production business that will meet the highest standards of excellence with superb service and product offerings in a friendly and welcoming environment.
Our Business Structure
As part of our plans to build a standard dessert bar production company in Savannah – Georgia, we have perfected plans to get it right from the beginning which is why we are going the extra mile to ensure that we hire competent and hardworking employees to occupy all the available positions in our company.
The kind of dessert bar company we intend building and the business goals we want to achieve is what informed the amount we are ready to pay for the best hands available in the industry as long as they are willing and ready to work with us to achieve our business goals and objectives.
With the wide range of our product offerings and the plan to sell franchise, we are only expected to employ more than it is required to run a conventional dessert bar production business. Definitely, we will have various employees to man the various services offering at Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC.
In view of that, we have decided to hire qualified and competent hands to occupy the following positions;
- Chief Executive Officer (Owner)
- Human Resources and Admin Manager
- Dessert Bar chefs
- Sales and Marketing Manager
- Information Technologist
- Van Drivers
5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Executive Officer – CEO (Owner):
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; developing incentives; developing a climate for offering information and opinions
- Responsible for fixing prices and signing business deals
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Creates, communicates, and implements the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- Accountable for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization
Admin and HR Manager
- Responsible for overseeing the smooth running of HR and administrative tasks for the organization
- Maintains office supplies by checking stocks; placing and expediting orders; evaluating new products.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
- Defines job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Carries out induction for new team members
- Responsible for training, evaluation and assessment of employees
- Responsible for arranging travel, meetings and appointments
- Oversees the smooth running of the daily office activities.
- Responsible for managing daily activities in the dessert bar facility (kitchen inclusive)
- Ensures that the facility is in tip top shape and conducive enough to welcome customers
- Interfaces with third – party providers (vendors)
- Attends to Customers complains and enquiries
- Any other duty as assigned by the CEO
Dessert Bar chefs
- Responsible for the production of dessert bars such as M&Ms cookie bars, raspberry bars, peanut butter bars, lemon bars, chocolate coconut bars, pineapple bars, apple bars, almond bars, toffee bars, chocolate cheesecake bars and the “famous” seven-layer bar
- Responsible for carrying out all casual or unskilled jobs in the store and kitchen
- Responsible for packaging dessert bars meant for delivery
- Handles any other duty as assigned by the manager
Sales and Marketing Manager
- Manages external research and coordinates all the internal sources of information to retain the organizations’ best customers and attract new ones
- Identifies, prioritizes, and reaches out to new partners, and business opportunities et al
- Identifies development opportunities; follows up on development leads and contacts; participates in the structuring and financing of projects; assures the completion of development projects.
- Responsible for supervising implementation, advocate for the customer’s needs, and communicate with clients
- Develops, executes and evaluates new plans for expanding sales
- Documents all customer contact and information
- Represents the company in strategic meetings
- Helps to increase sales and growth for the company
- Manages the organization’s website
- Handles ecommerce aspect of the business
- Responsible for installing and maintenance of computer software and hardware for the organization
- Manages logistics and supply chain software, Web servers, e-commerce software and POS (point of sale) systems
- Manages the organization’s CCTV
- Handles any other technological and IT related duties.
- Responsible for preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization
- Provides managements with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports; analyzes financial feasibility for the most complex proposed projects; conducts market research to forecast trends and business conditions.
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting
- Responsible for developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- Ensures compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for the organization
- Serves as internal auditor for the organization
- Promptly attends to customers in a friendly and professional manner
- Ensures that unoccupied tables are always set and ready for customers
- Pulls out chairs for customers as they arrive
- Handles any other duty as assigned by the Restaurant manager
- Delivers customer’s orders promptly
- Delivers correspondence for the restaurant
- Runs errand for the organization
- Any other duty as assigned by the manager
- Responsible for cleaning the restaurant facility at all times
- Ensures that toiletries and supplies don’t run out of stock
- Handles any other duty as assigned by the restaurant manager.
6. SWOT Analysis
As part of our drive for excellence when it comes to running a standard dessert bar production company, we were able to engage some of the finest business consultants in Savannah – Georgia to look through our business concept and together we were able to critically examine the prospect of the business and to access ourselves to be sure we have what it takes to run a standard dessert bar production company that can compete favorably in the industry.
Here is a of what we got from the critically conducted SWOT Analysis for Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC;
Our strength lies in the fact that we have various flavors of desert bars that can meet the needs of a wide range of customers. We have a well-structured store and equipment that has positioned us to meet the demand of products even if the demand tripled over night or if we have a massive order to meet.
Another factor that counts to our advantage is the background of our Chief Executive Office; he has a robust experience in the industry and also pretty good academic qualifications to match the experience acquired which has placed him amongst top-flight professionals in the United States of America.
We are not ignoring the fact that offering consultancy services and running a standard and accredited training center is definitely going to count as a positive for us.
The fact that we are setting up a dessert bar production business in a city with other established ice cream plants might likely pose a challenge for us in breaking into the already saturated market in Savannah – Georgia. In essence our chosen location might be our weakness.
The opportunities available to us are unlimited. Americans consume all forms of desserts on a daily basis and all what we are going to do to push our products to them is already perfected. There are also a growing number of aspiring entrepreneurs who would want to learn how to make dessert bars and they will readily find our government approved dessert bar training center highly ideal for them to fulfill that goal.
The threat that is likely going to confront us is the fact that we are competing with already established dessert bar production companies in Savannah – Georgia and also there are other entrepreneurs who are likely going to launch similar business within our location. They will compete with us in winning over the available market. Another threat that we are likely going to face are unfavorable government policies and of course economic downturn.
7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
When it comes to dessert bars, everyone will agree that the market trend changes from time to time. Dessert bar production companies are seriously researching and creating flavors and varieties that will keep them afloat in business.
Any dessert bar production company that wants to remain relevant in the scheme of things in the industry must be willing to explore the dessert world; he or she must be able to come up with a product that is unique from what is available in the market.
Another trend is that some dessert bar production companies have gone beyond only selling their products in their stores to taking it out to people in parks, sport centers and public places through vans and mobile food trucks. Some dessert bar production companies have even gone ahead to start retailing their products to the public through vending machines; it is one of the strategies that is helping them gain a huge market share.
8. Our Target Market
Dessert bars are generally consumed by almost everybody in our planet as such, anyone who chooses to establish a dessert bar production business in any part of the world is sure going to get good returns on his or her investment as long as they are doing the right thing when it comes to setting up and effectively running the business.
Our target market can’t be restricted to just a group of people, but to all those who love dessert bars and of course those who would want to try it out. This is why we have been able to map out strategic locations all around Savannah – Georgia where we will position our store.
We are in business to engage in wholesale distribution and to retail a wide range of dessert bars to the following groups of people;
- Sports Men and Women
- Everyone who resides in our target locations.
Our Competitive Advantage
Our purpose of starting Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC is to build a business that can grow within the first 5 years of establishing the business to be listed amongst the top 5 dessert bar production companies in the United States of America. With that in mind, we have been able to come up with competitive strategies that will help us compete favorably in the industry.
We are going to be one of the very few dessert bar production companies in Savannah – Georgia with vending machines in all our shop locations.
Another competitive advantage that we have is the vast experience of our management team; we have people on board who understand how to grow a business from scratch to becoming a national phenomenon. So also, the wide varieties of dessert bars that we produce, our large distribution network and of course our excellent customer service culture will definitely count as a strong strength for the business.
Lastly, all our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category in the industry. It will enable them to be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and achieve all our business aims and objectives.
9. SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC is established with the aim of maximizing profits in the dessert bar industry in the United States of America and we are going to go all the way to ensure that we do all it takes to sell our dessert bars to a wide range of customers.
Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC will generate income by selling the following products and offering the following services;
- Dessert bars such as M&Ms cookie bars, raspberry bars, peanut butter bars, lemon bars, chocolate coconut bars, pineapple bars, apple bars, almond bars, toffee bars, chocolate cheesecake bars and the “famous” seven-layer bar.
- Training, consultancy and business advisory services
10. Sales Forecast
We are well positioned to take on the available market in Savannah – Georgia and we are quite optimistic that we will meet our set target of generating enough profits from the first six months of operation and grow our business.
We have been able to critically examine the dessert bar industry – market, we have analyzed our chances in the industry and we have been able to come up with the following sales forecast. The sales projections are based on information gathered on the field and some assumptions that are peculiar to similar startups in Savannah – Georgia.
- First Fiscal Year: $150,000
- Second Fiscal Year: $350,000
- Third Fiscal Year: $500,000
N.B: This projection was done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown and the arrival of a competitor in same location as ours within the period stated above. Please note that the above projection might be lower and at the same time it might be higher.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
Before choosing a location to Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC and also the kind of dessert bars to produce, we conducted a thorough market survey and feasibility studies in order for us to be able to be able to penetrate the available market in the city where we intend positioning our business.
We have detailed information and data that we were able to utilize to structure our business to attract the number of customers we want to attract per time and also for our products to favorably compete with other leading dessert bars in Savannah – Georgia.
We hired experts who have good understanding of the dessert bars industry to help us develop marketing strategies that will help us achieve our business goal of winning a larger percentage of the available market Savannah – Georgia and throughout the United States of America.
In summary, Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC will adopt the following sales and marketing approach to sell our dessert bars;
- Introduce our dessert bar brand by sending introductory letters to residents, event planners, merchants and other stakeholders in Savannah – Georgia
- Open our dessert bar production company with a party so as to capture the attention of residents who are our first targets
- Engage in roadshows in targeted communities from time to time to sell our products
- Advertise our products in community based newspapers, local TV and radio stations
- List our business and products on yellow pages’ ads (local directories)
- Leverage on the internet to promote our dessert bar brands
- Engage in direct marketing and sales
- Encourage the use of Word of mouth marketing (referrals)
- Maintaining and growing relationships with customers to generate new and repeat sales.
- Significant spending in grass roots marketing
- Innovating new product offerings that will differentiate us from our competition.
11. Publicity and Advertising Strategy
Despite the fact that our dessert bar production company is a standard one that can favorably compete with other leading brands in the United States, we will still go ahead to intensify publicity for all our products. We are going to explore all available means to promote Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC.
Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC has a long-term plan of selling our franchise all around the United States of America which is why we will deliberately build our brand to be well accepted in Savannah – Georgia before venturing out to other cities in the United States of America.
As a matter of fact, our publicity and advertising strategy is not solely for selling our products but to also effectively communicate our brand. Here are the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote and advertise Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC;
- Place adverts on both print (community based newspapers and magazines) and electronic media platforms
- Sponsor relevant community programs
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, et al to promote our brand
- Install our billboards in strategic locations all around Savannah – Georgia
- Engage in roadshows from time to time in targeted communities
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas
- Position our Flexi Banners at strategic positions in the location where we intend getting customers to start patronizing our products
- Ensure that all our staff members wear our customized clothes, and all our official cars and trucks are customized and branded
12. Our Pricing Strategy
When it comes to fixing prices for products like dessert bars, there are no hard and fast rules as the prices depend on the size and packaging. Generally, dessert bars and similar products like confectioneries are affordable hence there is no need to employ any detailed strategies when it comes to pricing.
In view of that, our prices will conform to what is obtainable in the industry but we will ensure that within the first 6 to 12 months our products are sold a little bit below the average price. We have put in place business strategies that will help us run on low profit margin for a period of 6 months; it is a way of encouraging people to buy into our brands.
- Payment Options
The payment policy adopted by Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the United States of America.
Here are the payment options that Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC will make available to her clients;
- Payment with cash
- Payment via credit cards/Point of Sale Machines (POS Machines)
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via mobile money transfer
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our clients make payment for our products without any stress on their part. Our bank account numbers will be made available on our website and promotional materials.
13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
When it comes to starting a standard dessert bar production business, one is expected to spend the bulk of the startup capital on the purchase of standard dessert bar making machines and leasing a shop facility. Aside from that, you are not expected to spend much except for purchasing ingredients, paying of your employees and utility bills.
These are the key areas where we will spend our startup capital;
- The total fee for registering the business in the United States of America – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services (software, P.O.S machines and other software) – $1,300.
- Marketing promotion expenses for the grand opening of Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC; in the amount of $3,500 and as well as flyer printing (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of – $3,580.
- The cost for hiring Business Consultant – $2,500.
- Insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $2,400.
- Other start-up expenses including stationery ($500) and phone and utility deposits ($2,500).
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $100,000
- The cost of start-up inventory – $9,000
- Storage hardware (bins, rack, shelves, food case) – $3,720
- The cost for counter area equipment (counter top, sink, ice machine, etc.) – $9,500
- The cost for dessert bar making equipments – $20,000
- The cost for store equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $4,750
- The cost of launching a website – $600
- The cost for our opening party – $5,000
- Miscellaneous – $1,000
We would need an estimate of One Hundred and Fifty Thousand ($150,000) to successfully set up our dessert bar production company in Savannah – Georgia.
Generating Startup Capital for Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC
Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC is a privately registered family business that is owned and financed by Orlando Perez and his immediate family members. They do not intend to welcome any external business partners which is why he has decided to restrict the sourcing of the startup capital to 3 major sources.
These are the areas we intend generating our startup capital;
- Generate part of the startup capital from personal savings and sell of stocks
- Source for soft loans from family members and friends
- Apply for loan from the bank
N.B: We have been able to generate about $50,000 (Personal savings $40,000 and soft loan from family members $10,000) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $100,000 from our bank. All the papers and documents have been signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited with the amount.
14. Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
The future of a business lies in the number of loyal customers they have, the capacity and competence of their employees, their investment strategy and business structure. If all of these factors are missing from a business, then it won’t be too long before the business closes shop.
One of our major goals of starting Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC is to build a business that will survive off its own cash flow without the need for injecting finance from external sources once the business is officially running. We know that one of the ways of gaining approval and winning customers over is to retail our desert bars a little bit cheaper than what is obtainable in the market and we are well prepared to survive on lower profit margin for a while.
Orlando Perez® Dessert Bar, LLC will make sure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that our staff welfare are well taken of. Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and re training of our workforce is at the top burner.
As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of three years or more. We know that if that is put in place, we will be able to successfully hire and retain the best hands we can get in the industry; they will be more committed to help us build the business of our dreams.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Leasing a shop facility (renovation inclusive): Completed
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Printing of Packaging and Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and around the community: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Purchase of the needed dessert bar making machine, furniture, racks, shelves, computers, electronic appliances, office appliances and CCTV: In progress
- Opening party/launching party planning: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – wholesale suppliers / merchants: In Progress