Are you about starting a sports coaching company? If YES, here is a complete sample sports coaching institute business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE. Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a sports coaching institute. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample sports coaching institute business marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for sports coaching institute businesses. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
Table of Content
- 2. Executive Summary
- 5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
- 6. SWOT Analysis
- 7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- 13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
Why Start a Sports Coaching Institute Business?
Sports coaches are known to help athletes develop their full potential. These individuals are in charge of training athletes in a sport by analysing their performances, instructing in crucial skills and by giving encouragement.
The duties of a sport coach is vast and might differ from instructor, assessor, friend, mentor, facilitator, chauffeur, demonstrator, adviser, supporter, fact finder, motivator, counsellor, organizer, planner and the fountain of all knowledge. The coach aims to create the right conditions for learning to happen and to find ways of motivating athletes.
Coaches are very important in the world of sport and so is the institution where they are trained to perform all these duties. If you have the required knowledge and experience, this can be a very lucrative business when started and managed right.
One of the first things you will have to do is to make sure your institution is located in a central place. This means that you have to lease or buy commercial space, preferably a nice complex in the town or city. The reason for choosing a central location is so that students from all over the city can reach the place easily by train or via roadways.
You also have to get hold of the right curriculum along with other materials such textbooks and papers. Once you find the right location and resources, you need to think about promoting your coaching institute to the targeted audience. Have it in mind that competition is intense in this industry and you have to advertise your business effectively to reach out to your potential customers.
Note that with multiple coaching institutes available in the united states, gaining a strong footing in the industry is without doubt a daunting task. It is very important that you keep low tuition fees to attract more and more students to your institute. Maybe as your institute gains more popularity, you can think of increasing the price.
It also important that you be careful when hiring tutors for your institute. Competent tutor means hiring someone who is an expert in the said sport and also meets the requirements of students. You will also need to employ the right teaching techniques if you want to be successful in the sports coaching institute business.
It is a known fact in this business that some teachers want to grab money but in return, they fail to deliver quality education. As a business owner who wants to create massive brand awareness, never compromise with quality.
Always make sure that the students who have enrolled in your coaching institute receive quality education and superb teaching. And for that, you and your fellow tutors need to be constantly updated. The Internet is a vast resource of information and you can make use of it.
A Sample Sports Institute Business Plan Template
1. Industry Overview
The job of coaches and sports trainers is to guide people and help them achieve specific sports performance goals. Sports coaches and trainers work closely with athletes in schools and with professional sports teams. These experts teach the basic skills needed in individual or team sports for amateur or professional athletes. They may work full time during the day and coach part time, such as for Little Leagues or soccer teams.
They also create and manage practice sessions and drills, evaluating players and helping them to improve their skills, techniques, form, and stamina. They motivate and encourage individuals and teams to improve their performance. According to statistics, there were 224,110 coaches and scouts employed in the United States in May 2015.
Report has it that the sports coaching industry is an $8 billion business. From 2012 to 2017 this industry, which is made up of more than 130,000 businesses, experienced a 3 percent annual growth. Experts believe this industry will continue to perform well in the years to come because of the increased participation in sports for health benefits as well as to offset the high cost of college tuition through sports scholarships.
Report also has it that fitness trainer’s work with people of all ages in health clubs, gyms, fitness or recreation centres, and in yoga and Pilates studios. These experts lead group classes, instructing students and demonstrating exercises. They are known to also evaluate individuals for their strength and conditioning, and create exercise programs to help people improve their fitness levels.
They teach strength training, stretching, and cardiovascular exercises, demonstrate how to use exercise equipment, and discuss other issues such as nutrition and weight control. Reports has it that the personal training industry is a $9 billion business that has been enjoying steady growth since 2011. From 2011 to 2016 it experienced an annual growth of 3.2 percent.
It is believed that the recent recession had a negative impact on the personal training industry as many people scaled back on personal training sessions to conserve their money. Industry revenue is expected to grow during the next few years as the economy has strengthened and people will be able to spend money again on improving their fitness.
2. Executive Summary
Indeed every game of golf starts with a swing of the club, but to be a golf coach one needs more than just having a good swing yourself. To become a successful golf coach takes intense training in game mechanics and movement, from long drives to short putts and an ability to impart knowledge to students. These are the things we hope to impact on our students at Pioneer Golf Institute.
Pioneer Golf Institute (PGI) is a New Golf coaching institute in Colorado Springs, Colorado, that grooms individuals how to become good and successful golf coaches. We provide essential golf knowledge to wannabe golf coaches and also give out Golf coaching diplomas to successfully graduating students. Our institute also provides a full-service sport complex situated in Colorado Springs for golf enthusiasts.
There are currently no other golf institutes like PGI anywhere in or around Colorado. Our business plan will be used to state the exact scope of our services, as well as a means of gaining the necessary investments to open the facility. It will also be used on a continual basis in the evaluation of our business mission, goals, and objectives.
We at PGI believe that our key to success in this industry is our ability to market our institute effectively, creating an unmatched “cool” atmosphere where people learn and enjoy themselves, and hiring qualified and knowledgeable staff to aid in the running of our programs and leagues.
The Golf industry is a booming business and we are conservatively projecting a modest net profit in our first year of operation with this increasing steadily by the end of the third year. Our business location, Colorado Springs, was chosen because it provides us with less competition and more willing audience.
Colorado Springs is situated near the base of Pikes Peak, which rises 14,115 feet (4,302 m) above sea level on the eastern edge of the Southern Rocky Mountains. Note also that our business city is home to 24 national governing bodies of sport, including the United States Olympic Committee, the United States Olympic Training Centre, and USA Hockey.
The city had an estimated population of 465,101 in 2016, and a metro population of approximately 712,000, making it the second most populous city in the state of Colorado, behind Denver, and the 42nd most populous city in the United States.
3. Our Products and Services
Pioneer Golf Institute is a new Golf institute in Colorado Springs, Colorado that will offer its students and members the following services:
- Golf coaching training, certifications and programs by professionals.
- Golf equipment shop
- Lobby for relaxation and discussion with colleagues where refreshments will be available.
- Golf practice using unlimited number of balls and the best types of feeder. Simulation of various conditions that can be met in a golf course shall be done using sloped mats, tees, sand, targets for pitching and putting training aids.
- Participation in events and activities.
4. Our Mission and Vision Statement
- Our vision at Pioneer Golf Institute is to build a highly competitive golf coaching institute that will become the number one choice for individuals interested in becoming golf coaches in the United States.
- Our mission at Pioneer Golf Institute is to provide our clients with comprehensive golf education so that they can provide outstanding golf teaching and golf coaching services to their respective employers.
Our Business Structure
Our aim at Pioneer Golf Institute is to provide the best programs, staff, and equipment to meet the various golf coaching and fitness needs of our clients, while generating profits for the owners and investors. Our golf coaching Institute will be well organized and managed in a creative and innovative way to generate very high levels of customer satisfaction, and to build a learning climate conducive for personal development.
In the near future, we plan to offer an employee benefit package which will include health and vacation benefits. Everyone but the receptionist will be contract staff, and will be paid a sliding commission scale based on the amount of revenue created. Our business structure is as follows;
- Head of institute
- School Administrator
- Marketing and Sales Executive
- Client Service Executive / Front Desk Officer
- Security Officers
5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
Head of Institute
- In charge of providing direction for the institute
- Creates, communicates, and implements the institute’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall institute’s strategy.
- In charge of fixing fees and signing business deals (partnership)
- In charge of signing checks and documents on behalf of the coaching institute
- Coordinates all arms of the coaching school
- Evaluates the success of the coaching institute
- Reports to the board of the coaching institute
- In charge of overseeing the smooth running of HR and administrative tasks for the coaching school
- Regularly hold meetings with key stakeholders (the school board) to review the effectiveness of the schools’ Policies, Procedures and Processes
- Maintains office supplies by checking stocks; placing and expediting orders; evaluating new products.
- Defines job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Carries out induction for new team members
- In charge of training, evaluation and assessment of employees
- In charge of arranging travel, meetings and appointments
- Oversees the smooth running of the daily activities of the coaching institute
- Effectively teach subjects as assigned by the school administrator
- Accesses the progress of students under their care
- Ensures that students abide by the rules and regulations of the coaching school
- Contributes his/her quota towards growing the coaching school
- Receives complaints from students and channel it to the appropriate quarters
- Handle any other duty as assigned by the school administrator.
Marketing and Sales Executive
- Identifies, prioritizes, and reaches out to new partners, and business opportunities et al
- Identifies development opportunities; follows up on development leads and contacts
- Writes winning proposal documents, negotiate fees and rates in line with the institution policy
- Develops, executes and evaluates new plans for expanding increase sales
- Documents all customer contact and information
- Represents the company in strategic meetings
- Helps to increase sales and growth for the Institute
- In charge of preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the institute
- create reports from the information concerning the financial transactions
- Prepares the income statement and balance sheet using the trial balance and ledgers.
- Provides managements with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports
- In charge of financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting for one or more properties.
- In charge of developing and managing financial systems and policies
- In charge of administering payrolls
- Ensures compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for the Institute
- Serves as internal auditor for the institute
Client Service Executive
- Welcomes guests and clients by greeting them in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Ensures that all contacts with clients (e-mail, walk-In centre, SMS or phone) provides the client with a personalized customer service experience of the highest level
- Through interaction with clients on the phone, uses every opportunity to build client’s interest in the company’s products and services
- Manages administrative duties assigned by the manager in an effective and timely manner
- Consistently stays abreast of any new information on the company’s products, promotional campaigns etc. to ensure accurate and helpful information is supplied to clients
- Receives parcels/documents for the institute
- Distribute mails in the institute
- In charge of cleaning the institute at all times
- Ensures that toiletries and supplies don’t run out of stock
- Handles any other duty as assigned by the school administrator
- Ensures that the institute is secured at all time
- Controls traffic and organize parking
- Patrols around the institute on a 24 hours basis
- Submits security reports weekly
- Any other duty as assigned by the school administrator.
6. SWOT Analysis
Pioneer Golf Institute is a single sport coaching and fitness complex designed to be used by residents of Colorado and the surrounding areas. Apart from providing an excellent value to our customers, we are determined to establish an unmatched learning and sporting atmosphere that will add to the knowledge and enjoyment of every students and employee in the Institute.
We also understand that we cannot do all these if we know nothing about our industry and our chances for survival. To find out these facts, we hired the services of well-known professional in the area of business consulting and promotion with solid experience in the sports sector to help us in establishing a standard and competitive golf coaching Institute that can compete effectively in the golf industry.
They had to work with the management of our Institute in conducting our SWOT analysis. Outlined below is a summary from the result of the SWOT analysis that was conducted for Pioneer Golf Institute.
According to our Swot analysis, our strength in this industry is as follows; We at PGI must establish our institute as a distinguished name in Colorado and creatively market our services to each of our market segments.
Our SWOT analysis noted that by establishing an impeccable atmosphere in our institute through the use of first class equipment, elegant and comfortable lobby, showers and changing rooms, floors, colours and decoration, clients will want to frequent our institute and recommend it to their colleagues and friends.
It also stated that by providing our students with skilled and qualified staff who show genuine concern for the students, people will feel comfortable and confident that we can meet all of their golf coaching needs.
According to our SWOT Analysis, it might take some time for our golf coaching Institute to break into the market and gain acceptance via reputation in the already saturated education cum golf coaching industry. This it is believed is our major weakness at Pioneer Golf Institute.
Indeed the opportunity in the golf coaching business is vast and lucrative. People are becoming conscious of their health and are looking to exercise more often. Golf on its own is growing in popularity and people are always willing to improve their skills. We believe that the growing demand for qualified golf coaches is also creating a massive demand for excellent golf institutes that will provide adequate knowledge to the ever innovative and brilliant golf industry.
Our SWOT Analysis at Pioneer Golf Institute noted that some of the threats we will face as a Golf coaching Institute in the United States of America will include unfavourable government policies that might affect the education system, the appearance of a competitor within our location of operation and global economic downturn which usually affects spending/purchasing power. We have made plans to curtail all possible challenges and threats.
7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trend
According to our research, 2018 has brought a lot of opportunities to golf training and the game itself. One way golfers are already taking their game to the next level is with the Srixon Fourth Generation Q-Star ball that premiered at the PGA show in Las Vegas back in 2017.
Note that this next generation of Q-Star comes with a lower-compression Energetic Gradient Growth core, which has variable stiffness and firmness to deliver the proper feel and distance control for each shot type. A more efficient 338 Aerodynamic Speed Dimple pattern has been designed to offer more control and predictability in the wind. Although not completely new to 2018, experts expect this ball to trend throughout this year.
Report has it that golf shoes are expected to become a little wilder this year. Indeed we can’t completely discuss golf trends without commenting on the tech that continues to transform the game each year. Ranging from swing analysers to wearable tech, 2017 provided us with the chance to take the game one step further.
Artificial intelligence even made an appearance on the course in May 2017. This year experts anticipate the emergence of smartphone apps to enhance golf coaching and game. The game has also developed a little reputation for being a non-cardiovascular sport over the years.
After all, the amount of movement required to play a round of golf doesn’t provide the cardiovascular benefits that a sport like football might provide. But this present year has changed all of that. This year, golf that incorporates more cardiovascular activity is supposed to be a big fad on courses all over the United States.
8. Our Target Market
Pioneer Golf Institute is the only institute of its kind in all Colorado and surroundings (more than one million people). Some aspects of the location will cater mainly to golf coaching and training students while the other area will cater for our course members.
Due to the flexibility of time schedule, the independency of weather conditions, and in combination with the comfortable auto feeding system, we at Pioneer Golf Institute believe that our target market differ from coaching students to people who want to learn about golf, have some stress relief leisure activities and socialize with other members.
We will also develop good relations with well-known golf courses, clubs and schools in Colorado in order to teach golf to youths.
We at Pioneer Golf Institute believe our institute has a very large potential market. Due to the uniqueness of our institute throughout Colorado, we strongly believe we can become the main golf teaching institute quickly. We plan to accomplish this actively and continuously by promoting our institute through media as well as hosting and supporting various community events.
We also believe our competitive advantage at Pioneer Golf Institute is in three segments. First, our coaching institute is the only golf coaching institute that offers our kind of training facilities. The second segment of our competitive advantage is our business location, size, and appearance of the institute that will attract many people.\
Lastly, our well stocked golf shop where the students can find first class equipment in the best prices in Colorado and have the possibility to test them in actual conditions.
We at Pioneer Golf Institute strongly believe that by maintaining our focus in our strategy, marketing, program development, and fulfillment, our coaching institute will be known as the top golf training institute in the Whole of United States in no time.
9. SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Marketing and Sales strategy
Note that our Sales at Pioneer Golf Institute will be based on the services and amenities provided by our institute. We plan to ensure that all the users of our institute must feel they are getting the best possible value for their money. If there is a better value, for equal services, we at Pioneer Golf Institute will strive to match or beat that value for customers.
We also plan to ensure that any person desiring a membership at our institute to study or to play will be clearly notified of all our membership options. During this brief discussion, the person will be also informed of all of the courses, certifications, services, programs and amenities we at Pioneer Golf Institute has to offer. We plan to build our marketing plan around the following;
- Focus on service and support.
- Establish a relationship business.
- Focus on golf equipment as the key target market.
Sources of Income
Pioneer Golf Institute is built with the aim of generating substantial income in the golf coaching industry by leveraging all available opportunities in the industry. We plan to sustain our business and make profits through the following means;
- Tuition and fees for our golf coaching training, certifications and programs by professionals.
- Sales and profits from our golf equipment shop
- Sales and profits from our Lobby used for relaxation and discussion by students and members where brandy, cigars and refreshments will be available.
- Charges for golf practice and balls
10. Sales Forecast
We at Pioneer Golf Institute assume that by the end of our first year, we must have registered 200 students and 100 members. We also expect an enviable growth rate for several years, up to 500 members. That will be the maximum number of members that can be accommodated by this Institute.
Further expansion of the grounds shall be considered in future. Also note that the first year students’ and members’ registration is considered incremental and of course at first months and summer period is expected to be low. But we also assume that by next year, our growth rate will be steady although the numbers are very pessimistic for safety reasons.
Have it in mind that all sales items are related and proportional to memberships except the advertising. However, even this will increase if the popularity of our institute does so.
Also the sales of equipment are also very pessimistic because golf is still growing in popularity in Colorado. Generally our institute has been planned to accommodate 500 members and students, the maximum possible, which is a very realistic target since it will be the pioneer in a virgin market which is ready to make significant steps in future.
It important to state that Colorado Springs’ economy is driven primarily by the military, the high-tech industry, and tourism, in that order.
Report has it that the city is currently experiencing some growth mainly in the service sectors. The unemployment rate for the city as of October 2015 was 3.9%, a decrease from 4.8% in October 2014 and 7.3% in November 2013 and compared to 3.8% for the state and 5.0% for the nation.
11. Publicity and Advertising Strategy
We know the benefits of a good publicity strategy, which is why even though we have no specific marketing plan, we hope to leverage a lot of strategies to boost our business through publicity. We at Pioneer Golf Institute are very ready to become the number one choice when it comes to golf training.
That is why we made provisions for effective and direct publicity and advertisement of our golf coaching Institute. Outlined below are the platforms we hope to leverage on to promoting Pioneer Golf Institute;
- Place adverts on both print (community based newspapers and magazines) and electronic media platforms
- Sponsor relevant community based events/programs
- Develop ongoing relationships with guidance counsellors that will refer their students to the Coaching School on an ongoing basis.
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Facebook , twitter, YouTube, Google + et al to promote our brand
- Install our billboards in strategic locations all around Colorado Springs.
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas in and around Colorado Springs
- Passing general information via our school’s social media handles like twitter, Facebook, Google hangout etc.
- Ensure that all our teaching and non – teaching staff members wear our branded shirts and all our vehicles are well branded with our schools’ logo.
12. Our Pricing Strategy
Educational institutions all over the United States of America charge students per term/per session and students have the options of either paying their tuition before resumption or during the school session. We also know that Golf coaching institutions generally bill their clients based on loads of factors like equipment, curriculum, duration, services offerings and extra – curricular activities et al.
Our pricing plan at Pioneer Golf Institute is to keep our fees below the average market rate. We also hope to give out special discounted rates to all our members at regular intervals. We also understand that there are some of our prospective clients that would need special assistance, we will offer flat rate for such services that will be tailored to take care of such needs.
- Our Payment Options
We at Pioneer Golf Institute plan to establish different payment options that will suit our members and students at any given time and place. We have also made plans and partnered with well-known banking platforms in the United States of America in other to offer these services. Here are the payment options that we will make available to our clients;
- Payment by via bank transfer
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via mobile money
- Payment with cash
13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
We understand that the cost of starting our business will depend on the approach and scale of the business. Pioneer Golf Institute will be a medium sized golf coaching school that will provide a comfortable location for our clients to learn and practice.
We plan to spend our start-up costs on mostly equipment purchase, main building (which will be a wooden pre-fabricated building of good quality), coaching and training centre construction, golf equipment for the retail store, stationery, legal costs, advertising, land rent and expenses associated with opening our first office. Below is a detailed cost analysis of starting Pioneer Golf Institute;
- Business incorporating fees in the United States of America will cost – $750.
- The budget for Liability insurance, permits and license will cost – $103,500
- Acquiring a large building and course that will accommodate the number of block and classes et al (Re – Construction of the facility inclusive) will cost – $600,000
- Equipping the training ground and office (computers, printers, projectors, markers, pens and pencils, furniture, telephones, filing cabinets, and electronics) will cost – $150,000
- Launching an official Website will cost – $500
- The budget for the payment of salaries for the first three months of operations: $120,000
- Additional Expenditure such as Business cards, Signage, Adverts and Promotions will cost – $50,000
From our detailed analysis above, we have come to the conclusion that we will need approximately $1,200,000 to start up Pioneer Golf Institute.
Generating Funding/Start-up Capital for Pioneer Golf Institute
Pioneer Golf Institute will be a Limited Liability Corporation financed partially by direct owner investment and a long-term loan. Michael Neil and Santos Wonsan will own 25% of the company each. While the other two limited partners will own 40% and 10% respectively. These are the areas we intend generating our startup capital;
- Generate part of the startup capital from personal savings
- Generate part of the startup capital from friends and other extended family members
- Generate a larger chunk of the startup capital from the bank (loan facility).
We have been able to raise about $800,000 (Personal savings $670,000 and soft loan from family members $130,000) and we are at the finishing stage of getting a loan facility of $500,000 from our bank. We’ve made sure that all the required papers and documents have been duly signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited.
14. Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
We at Pioneer Golf Institute will issue a certificate of completion after our golf coaching course. We expects that each course we offer will last approximately eight weeks and will provide 100 hours of class and training ground instructions.
Our major goal is to be a profitable business starting from the very first month of our opening. Due to the size, appearance and convenient location of our institute, we believe a lot of people will be attracted to our institute to see what we have to offer. But, we do not plan to wait for students and members to come to first. Instead, we plan to focus our marketing strategies on those target audience that match our offerings.
Note that our main objective with our early marketing strategy will be to get people into our institute and convince people that we can bring golf to Colorado. We believe that once people see what we have to offer, and feel the atmosphere that will be created, they will want to return and participate in the many activities and programs we provide. Some of the ways we plan to get people into our institute include:
- Giving specialized tours and lessons to junior and senior high schools during the building and early completion of the institute.
- Hosting and/or supporting various community events that will attract many people who otherwise will not come.
- Free testing of golf equipment.
- Mailing our free day passes to managers of golf clubs
- Offering special discounts for annual subscriptions.
- Hosting a big promotional event to open the institute that will be free to everyone.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Incorporation: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Conducting feasibility studies: Completed
- Leasing, renovating and equipping our facility: Completed
- Generating part of the startup capital from the founder: Completed
- Applications for Loan from our Bankers: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Printing of Promotional Materials: Completed
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of software applications, furniture, office equipment, electronic appliances and facility facelift: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business (Business PR): In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with banks, financial lending institutions, vendors and key players in the industry: In Progress