Do you want to learn what it takes to become a professional makeup artist online? If YES, here are the requirements to become a certified makeup artist from home for FREE.
Table of Content
- Makeup Artist Job Description
- How Much Do Makeup Artist Make?
- Benefits of Being a Makeup Artist
- Facts, Figures, Labor Market Situation
- Tools of the Trade
- Educational Requirement/Certification
- Professional Bodies and Associations
- Career ideas for Makeup Artists
- Skills and Traits You Need to Succeed
An eye for aesthetics and a desire to use your talents and creativity to make other people look beautiful is one of the motivating factors of successful make-up artists. Many make-up artists today emerged from their own dressing table and mirror.
They discovered their love and flare for the profession while trying to make themselves, family and friends look gorgeous. Perfecting the greatly desired Smokey eye in the comfort of your bedroom, or on the faces of your friends is a pointer that the make-up profession might have a large space to occupy your designs as an artist.
Being a makeup artist is a prestigious one, the profession is an award winning profession in the entertainment industry, Awards given for the makeup profession in the entertainment industry include the Academy Award for Best Makeup and Hairstyling and even several entertainment industry awards such as the Emmy Awards and the Golden Globes. The respect accorded makeup artist in the entertainment industry is enormous.
Every movie shooting need a makeup artist that will be deliver the right image for the script? The art of applying make-up dates back at least 6000 years. Ancient Egyptian Pharaohs employ specially trained servants to apply cosmetics in order to make them appear more like the gods
What is a Makeup Artist?
A makeup artist is someone who uses cosmetic techniques and processes to create beauty upon the human body. In its simplest form, it enhances a person’s appearance, bringing out color and features and hiding or smoothing out flaws, using cosmetic products. At its most extreme, makeup artistry creates imaginative characters and special effects for films, television, photography and theater.
We can also describe a make-up artist an artist, whose medium is the human body, applying makeup and prosthetics for theatrical, television, film, fashion, magazines and other similar productions including all aspects of the modeling industry. A make-up artist is usually a member of a team including the hairdresser and wardrobe specialist. As part of this team, the make-up artist works to transform the actor into the character.
Tools of the Trade for a Makeup Artist
- Cosmetic Spatulas
- Stainless Steel Palettes.
- Disposable Mascara
- Lip Wands.
- Makeup case.
- Makeup brushes.
- Makeup Remover Wipes.
- Brush Cleaner.
- Lip gloss.
- White makeup cape
- Cuticle Scissors or Beard Trimming Scissors.
- Eyelash curler.
- Hand mirror. ‘
- Hand sanitizers
- Cotton Balls and Rounds.
- Powder puffs.
- Cleanser, Moisturizer, and Toner.
- Visine or Red Eye Drops.
- Concealers and Correctors.
- Eye shadow.
- Eye liner.
- Fake Eyelashes and Adhesive.
- Lipstick and Lip Liners.
- Gumor Mints
- Setting Spray
- Face Primer
- Eye Primer
- Shimmer Powders
- Small First Aid Kit
- Safety Pins
- Hair Clips
- Pencil Sharpener
- Blotting Papers
- Shop Towels
How to Become a Certified Makeup Artist Online for FREE – A Complete Guide
- Facts, Figures and Labor Market Situation for Makeup Artists
Many opportunities abound for makeup artist in America’s Hollywood, Canada, United Kingdom and Australia. There is no defined progression route and the freelance nature of the profession means that individuals may move between trainee make-up assistant, make-up artist, chief/key make-up artist and designer roles, depending on their experience and confidence within a sector.
- The U.S. Bureau of labor Statistics have projected a 3% growth rate from 2012-2022 for the makeup profession. Make-up professionals in the film industry generally have irregular work schedules, working long hours for several months straight followed by months at a time without work.
- They often relocate temporarily for the duration of the project. Those working in a television studio may have regular schedules, but equally long hours averaging well over 40 hours a week.
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment of make-up artists is likely to grow slower than the average for all jobs from 2012-2022. The number of new jobs in the entertainment industry will be few and concentrated to cities with the most media production companies.
- Licensed make-up artists generally have the best job opportunities, particularly in spas and salons. In addition, as per the BLS, make-up artists in motion picture and video industries earned an hourly mean wage of $42.31, while those in personal care services earned an hourly mean wage of $12.95 as of May 2013.
- The attractiveness of the entertainment industry and higher earnings potential make jobs in this sector highly competitive. There are generally more make-up artists than available jobs in film, television and theater. Also, the growing popularity of computer-generated effects used in film and television is dampening job availability for make-up professionals. Candidates with an education in theater or the performing arts, years of experience and a unique qualification have advantages.
- Makeup artists can work at salons, spas, retail and department stores, bridal boutiques and so many more types of businesses. Many makeup professionals are freelance because the work is so portable, and choose to market themselves as specialists in weddings and special events, mortuary makeup, photo shoots, runway models, film and television, live theater, and special effects, among others.
- The most common industries makeup artists work in are the motion picture and video industries, personal care services, performing arts companies, television broadcasting, and amusement parks and arcades.
- The top five states with the highest levels of employment for makeup occupations are New York, California, Florida, Texas and Georgia. The top three metro areas with the highest levels of employment are Los Angeles metro, New York City metro, and Las Vegas metro.
Positive and Negative Impact of Technology on the Makeup Profession
- Positively, the increase in the use of social media through the internet have made them more popular, many makeup artist are present on the internet especially Instagram, YouTube, and other video sharing platforms. They make use of high definition digital cameras to take photographs and make tutorial videos of their arts and upload such on the internet.
- Many makeup artists have YouTube channels used in displaying their latest works. Thanks to digital cameras, makeup artists are increasingly in demand for weddings, fashion shoots, fashion shows, corporate headshot photography, and other special events that will be photographed or recorded.
- One of the negative impacts of technology on the profession is that these days one can get self-help tips on how to get a well-made up face. This may affect the business.
- A positive impact is that budding makeup artists can get all the skills and knowledge they require by surfing the web through research.
Professional Bodies and Associations for Makeup Artists
Every legally recognized profession has bodies that govern those who practice such professions, for a makeup artist, the following bodies exist in U.S., Canada, United Kingdom, and Australia;
- The International Make-up association.
- International Association of Professional Makeup Artists. (IAPO)
- National Association of Screen Make-up Artists and Hairdressers.(NASMAH)
- Association of Professional Hair and Makeup Artists.
- The Hair & Makeup Artist
- The Association of Professional Aestheticians of Australia (APAA).
- Canadian Association of Face and Body Artists.
- Allied Beauty Association.
Career ideas / Sub-sectors That Exists Within the Makeup profession
- Print makeup artist.
- Special Effect Makeup Artist.
- Body and Face Painting.
- Bridal Makeup Artist.
- Theatrical makeup
- Fashion Makeup Artist.
- Studio Makeup Artist.
- Airbrushing Makeup
- Light Bending
- High Definition
- Wig/Hair specialist.
Industries a Makeup Artist Can Work In?
Makeup artists are important professionals that are important to almost every other profession -especially to those in the show biz. The following industries are industries makeup artist can fit in;
- Wedding and Event planning
- Beauty salons
- Film productions
- Television and Media
- Modeling agency
- Cosmetics production
Career Opportunities for Makeup Artists
- Many makeup artists work with models, movie stars, and sometimes musicians. They transform these individuals and give them the look that they need for a performance, photo shoot, or movie set.
- Makeup artists also work with TV presenters and even politicians to ensure that they look their best before appearing in front of millions of people.
- The truth is as a makeup artist, your job may not necessarily have you rubbing elbows with the entertainment elite, but it is certainly very fulfilling. These roles not only help a new makeup artist gain experience, it also helps them earn a substantial income.
- Makeup artists work as sales-people applying their knowledge of makeup artistry to help women discover which beauty products complement their skin tone and face shape.
Latest posts by Ajaero Tony Martins (see all)
- A Sample Music Venue Business Plan Template - February 2, 2020
- A Sample Indoor Shrimp Farming Business Plan Template - February 2, 2020
- How Long You Have to Buy Insurance After Buying a Used Car - January 29, 2020