An ice cream shop is a retail establishment that specializes in selling ice cream and other frozen desserts. These shops offer a wide variety of ice cream flavors, toppings, and combinations to cater to different tastes and preferences. Ice cream shops are popular places for people of all ages to indulge in sweet treats and cool off on hot days.
In addition to ice cream, some shops may also offer other frozen desserts like gelato, sorbet, frozen yogurt, and various toppings such as sprinkles, nuts, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and fresh fruits. Some ice cream shops may even sell ice cream cakes and sandwiches.
Ice cream shops are often designed to create a pleasant and inviting atmosphere for customers. They may have colorful decor, seating areas for customers to enjoy their treats, and friendly staff to help with orders. Some ice cream shops may even have outdoor seating for customers to enjoy their ice cream outside.
Steps on How to Write an Ice Cream Shop Business Plan
Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. is a premium ice cream retail establishment located in Dallas, Texas. Dallas, Texas, is a vibrant and diverse city with a strong appreciation for culinary delights.
The ice cream industry in the area has seen steady growth over the past few years, indicating a promising market for Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. Our focus on providing unique and high-quality flavors sets us apart from mainstream competitors.
Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. is a family-owned and operated business, founded with a passion for creating artisanal ice cream that brings pure joy to our customers’ lives. Our shop is strategically situated in a high-traffic area of Dallas, ensuring excellent visibility and accessibility to a diverse customer base.
a. Our Products and Services
At Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc., we pride ourselves on serving only the finest and freshest ice cream. Our expert chefs craft each batch of ice cream with locally sourced, natural ingredients, avoiding artificial additives and preservatives.
We offer a wide range of classic, seasonal, and innovative flavors to cater to all taste preferences. In addition to our premium ice cream, we offer a selection of frozen desserts such as gelato, sorbet, and frozen yogurt, ensuring that every customer finds a delectable treat to savor.
Our primary target audience includes families, young professionals, students, and ice cream enthusiasts who seek premium, handcrafted ice cream with natural ingredients. We will also attract tourists and visitors to explore the local culinary scene.
b. Nature of the Business
Our ice cream shop will operate with a business-to-consumer business model.
c. The Industry
Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. will operate in the ice cream industry.
d. Mission Statement
At Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc., our mission is to craft and serve the finest handcrafted ice cream and frozen desserts, creating moments of pure joy and happiness for our valued customers.
We are dedicated to using locally sourced, natural ingredients to create a diverse array of unique and flavorful treats that exceed expectations while providing an exceptional customer experience that fosters lasting connections with our community.
e. Vision Statement
Our vision at Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. is to be the preeminent ice cream destination in Dallas, Texas, renowned for our uncompromising commitment to quality, innovation, and customer delight. We aim to create an inviting and warm atmosphere that sparks joy and happiness in every customer who walks through our doors.
f. Our Tagline (Slogan)
Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. – the go-to destination for ice cream enthusiasts, offering unparalleled flavors, service, and ambiance!
g. Legal Structure of the Business (LLC, C Corp, S Corp, LLP)
Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. will be formed as a Limited Liability Company (LLC).
h. Our Organizational Structure
- Chief Executive Officer (Owner)
- Shop Manager
- Accountant (Cashier)
- Salesgirls and Salesboys
i. Ownership/Shareholder Structure and Board Members
- Susan White (Owner and Chairman/Chief Executive Officer) 52 Percent Shares
- David Greene (Board Member) 18 Percent Shares
- Dora Brown (Board Member) 10 Percent Shares
- Raph McMillian (Board Member) 10 Percent Shares
- Juliet George (Board Member and Secretary) 10 Percent Shares.
- Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. offers high-quality, handcrafted ice cream made from locally sourced, natural ingredients. This commitment to quality sets us apart from mass-produced ice cream vendors.
- The shop provides a diverse and innovative range of ice cream flavors, including seasonal and specialty options. This variety appeals to a wide customer base and keeps them coming back for new experiences.
- Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. prides itself on delivering outstanding customer service. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff ensures that each visitor enjoys a personalized and delightful experience.
- Strategically located in a high-traffic area of Dallas, our shop enjoys excellent visibility and accessibility, attracting both local residents and tourists exploring the city.
- We actively engage with the local community through partnerships, events, and charitable initiatives, fostering a positive brand image and customer loyalty.
- Demand for ice cream can be affected by seasonal changes, resulting in fluctuations in sales during colder months.
- As a physical brick-and-mortar store, our reach is confined to customers within the immediate vicinity, potentially limiting our market penetration.
- The ice cream market is competitive, with established brands and other ice cream shops vying for consumer attention.
- Expanding our online presence and offering delivery services can broaden our customer base and attract customers who prefer the convenience of ordering from home.
- Participating in local events and collaborating with other businesses can increase brand exposure and attract new customers.
- Implementing seasonal promotions and limited-time offers can drive sales during slower periods and create a sense of urgency among customers.
- Offering ice cream catering for parties, weddings, and corporate events can open up new revenue streams and attract larger group orders.
i. How Big is the Industry?
The ice cream shop industry is vast and has been growing steadily over the years. At that time, the global ice cream market was valued at over $70 billion, with projections of continued growth. Major regions such as North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and South America all contributed significantly to the industry’s overall size.
ii. Is the Industry Growing or Declining?
Yes, the ice cream shop business is a growing business because increasing urbanization and globalization have led to greater exposure to different cultures and cuisines, promoting the consumption of ice cream worldwide.
iii. What are the Future Trends in the Industry?
Several future trends are emerging in the ice cream shop industry. Here are some potential future trends to consider: Consumers’ growing emphasis on health and wellness may drive the demand for healthier and functional ice cream choices.
This trend could lead to an increase in plant-based, low-sugar, low-calorie, or dairy-free ice cream alternatives that cater to specific dietary preferences and requirements.
As environmental awareness grows, customers are placing greater importance on sustainability. Ice cream shops can embrace eco-friendly practices by using biodegradable or reusable straws, sourcing local and organic ingredients, implementing recycling and waste reduction measures, and promoting sustainable packaging options.
The digital landscape continues to shape consumer behavior. Ice cream shops can leverage technology by developing user-friendly websites, and mobile apps for ordering and engaging with customers through social media platforms. Online delivery services can also expand reach and convenience.
iv. Are There Existing Niches in the Industry?
Yes, there are existing niches when it comes to the ice cream shop business, and here are some of them:
- Vegan Ice Cream Parlor
- Gourmet Gelato Boutique
- Nitrogen Ice Cream Lab
- Ice Cream Sandwich Emporium
- Low-Calorie Ice Cream Shop
- Exotic Fruit Sorbet Haven
- Ice Cream Flight Lounge
- Retro Ice Cream Parlor
- Dessert Fusion Café.
v. Can You Sell a Franchise of Your Business in the Future?
Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. has plans to sell franchises in the near future and we will target major cities with thriving ice cream and frozen dessert markets.
- Economic downturns or fluctuations in consumer spending can impact discretionary spending on luxury items like premium ice cream.
- Growing health and dietary trends may lead some consumers to opt for healthier or non-dairy alternatives, impacting traditional ice cream sales.
- Shifts in consumer preferences towards other dessert options or frozen treats could affect the demand for traditional ice cream.
- The presence of new ice cream shops or the expansion of established competitors in the area could pose a challenge to market share.
i. Who are the Major Competitors?
- Ample Hills Creamery
- Bi-Rite Creamery
- Salt & Straw
- Morgenstern’s Finest Ice Cream
- Azucar Ice Cream Company
- Penn State Berkey Creamery
- Original Rainbow Cone
- Mashti Malone’s
- Ice Cream Jubilee
- Creole Creamery
- Sweet Action
- Scooter’s Frozen Custard
- Sweet Republic
- Izzy’s Ice Cream
- Mount Desert Island Ice Cream
- The Pied Piper Creamery
- Amy’s Ice Creams
- LICK Pure Cream.
ii. Is There a Franchise for Ice Cream Shop Business?
- Fat Tuesday
- Ice cream Shoppe
- Ice cream Express
- The Ice Cream Factory
- Ice cream Island
- The Ice cream Deck
- Ice cream Hut
- Big Easy Ice creams
- Frosty Factory
- Ice cream Time Out.
iii. Are There Policies, Regulations, or Zoning Laws Affecting Ice Cream Shop Business?
Yes, there are policies, regulations, and zoning laws that affect ice cream businesses in the United States of America. These laws vary depending on the state, county, and city in which the business is located.
Some zoning laws may prohibit the operation of ice cream shop businesses in certain areas, such as residential or industrial zones. Other zoning laws may require special permits or variances to operate an ice cream shop business in a particular location.
Ice cream shop businesses must comply with health and safety codes that regulate food preparation, storage, and service. These codes may also include regulations on outdoor dining areas, such as requirements for fencing, lighting, and seating capacity.
Many cities and counties have noise ordinances that limit the amount of noise that businesses can generate, particularly during late-night hours. Ice cream shop businesses may need to comply with these noise ordinances to avoid complaints from nearby residents.
Ice cream shop businesses must comply with fire codes that regulate the use of outdoor heating and cooking equipment. These codes may require the installation of fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, and other safety equipment.
Ice cream shop businesses must comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which requires that businesses provide accessible seating and facilities for individuals with disabilities.
a. Who is your Target Audience?
i. Age Range
Our target market comprises people of all ages who have the finances to purchase ice creams and other frozen desserts from us.
ii. Level of Educational
We don’t have any restrictions on the level of education of those who will purchase ice cream and other beverage drinks from us.
iii. Income Level
There is no cap on the income level of those who will purchase ice cream and other beverage drinks from us.
There is no restriction when it comes to the ethnicity of the people who will purchase ice cream and other beverage drinks from us.
There is no restriction when it comes to the language spoken by the people who will purchase ice cream and other drinks from us.
vi. Geographical Location
Anybody from any geographical location can buy ice cream and other beverage drinks from us.
Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. will not restrict any customer from purchasing ice cream and other beverage drinks from us based on their lifestyle, culture, or race.
b. Advertising and Promotion Strategies
- Deliberately Brand All Our Vans and Trucks.
- Tap Into Text Marketing.
- Make Use of Billboards.
- Share Your Events in Local Groups and Pages.
- Turn Your Social Media Channels into a Resource.
- Develop Your Business Directory Profiles.
- Build Relationships with players in the event planning and catering services industry.
i. Traditional Marketing Strategies
- Marketing through Direct Mail.
- Print Media Marketing – Newspapers & Magazines.
- Broadcast Marketing -Television & Radio Channels.
- OOH Marketing – Public Transit like Buses and Trains, Billboards, Street shows, and Cabs.
- Leverage direct sales, direct mail (postcards, brochures, letters, fliers), tradeshows, print advertising (magazines, newspapers, coupon books, billboards), referral (also known as word-of-mouth marketing), radio, and television.
ii. Digital Marketing Strategies
- Social Media Marketing Platforms.
- Influencer Marketing.
- Email Marketing.
- Content Marketing.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Marketing.
- Affiliate Marketing
- Mobile Marketing.
iii. Social Media Marketing Plan
- Start using chatbots.
- Create a personalized experience for our customers.
- Create an efficient content marketing strategy.
- Create a community for our target market and potential target market.
- Gear up our profiles with a diverse content strategy.
- Use brand advocates.
- Create profiles on relevant social media channels.
- Run cross-channel campaigns.
c. Pricing Strategy
When working out our pricing strategy, Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. will make sure it covers profits, insurance, premium, license, and economy or value and full package. In all our pricing strategy will reflect;
- Penetration Pricing
- Cost-Based Pricing
- Value-Based Pricing
- Competition-Based Pricing.
Sales and Distribution Plan
a. Sales Channels
Our channel sales strategy will involve using partners and third parties—such as referral partners, affiliate partners, strategic alliances in the event planning industry, and freelancers to help refer customers to us.
Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. will also leverage the 4 Ps of marketing which are place, price, product, and promotion. By carefully integrating all these marketing strategies into a marketing mix, we can have a visible, in-demand service that is competitively priced and promoted to our customers.
b. Inventory Strategy
The fact that we will need supplies for making ice creams (milk, cream, eggs, flavoring, stabilizers and emulsifiers, sugar or other sweetener, sprinkles, nuts, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and fresh fruits), as well as a range of cups and packaging materials mean that Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. will operate an inventory strategy that is based on a day-to-day methodology for ordering, maintaining and processing items in our warehouse.
We will develop our strategy with the same thoroughness and attention to detail as we would if we were creating an overall strategy for the business.
c. Payment Options for Customers
Here are the payment options that Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. will make available to her clients:
- Bank Transfers
- Credit or Debit Card
- Electronic Payment Systems such as PayPal or Venmo.
d. Return Policy, Incentives, and Guarantees
At Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc., will be offering a return policy, incentives, and guarantees to build trust and loyalty with our customers. We will make sure the policy is clearly communicated on our website and in-store signage, and provide instructions for customers to initiate a return.
- If a customer is not satisfied with their order, we will offer a refund or replacement.
- We will also offer a store credit for future purchases.
- We will implement loyalty programs where customers earn points or rewards for repeat purchases.
- We will offer special discounts or promotions for customers who refer friends or family members to us.
- We will organize social media contests and giveaways to increase engagement and attract new customers.
- We will guarantee the quality of our ice creams and other products, and if a customer is not satisfied, they could receive a refund or a replacement.
- We will offer delivery guarantees such as a guaranteed delivery time or a discount on the next order if the delivery is late.
- We will implement satisfaction guarantees where customers are guaranteed to be satisfied with their experience, or we will take steps to make it right.
e. Customer Support Strategy
To ensure customer satisfaction, we will encourage customers to provide feedback and suggestions. This will help us provide excellent customer service to all our clients and investors, it will help us understand their needs, experiences, and pain points. We will work with effective CRM software to be able to achieve this.
Our operational plan will outline how the business will run on a day-to-day basis. It will cover areas such as staffing, inventory management, customer service, and marketing.
Overall, we plan to expand our revenue by 25 percent in the second year and the plan will include a marketing, sales, and operations component. By developing a strong plan and implementing it effectively, we will be able to run our ice cream shop business smoothly and attract and retain loyal customers.
a. What Happens During a Typical Day at an Ice Cream Shop Business?
- The business is open for the day’s work
- The serving area is cleaned and ready for the day’s business
- Preparation of ice cream and other frozen desserts
- Customer’s orders are taken and they are served or their orders are delivered to them
- The cashier collects cash and reconciles accounts for the day
- Administrative duties are carried out
- The store or warehouse is restocked when required.
- The business is closed for the day.
b. Production Process
There is no production process for an ice cream shop business.
c. Service Procedure
The service procedure for an ice cream shop business starts with a customer requesting ice creams or other frozen desserts like gelato, sorbet, frozen yogurt, and various toppings such as sprinkles, nuts, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and fresh fruits.
Once the request is gotten, it will be processed and the customer will be served or the order delivered to a location as requested.
d. The Supply Chain
Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. will rely on a supply chain model that involves sourcing, transporting, storing, and managing inventory of the various products and supplies needed to run our ice cream shop business.
e. Sources of Income
Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. will generate revenue primarily through the sale of ice creams, and other frozen desserts like gelato, sorbet, frozen yogurt, and various toppings.
a. Amount Needed to Start your Ice Cream Shop Business?
Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. would need an estimate of $150,000 to successfully set up our ice cream shop business in the United States of America. Please note that this amount includes the salaries of all our staff for the first month of operation.
b. What are the costs involved?
- Business Registration Fees – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits – $3,300.
- Marketing, Branding, and Promotions – $3,000.
- Business Consultant Fee – $2,500.
- Insurance – $3,400.
- Rent/Lease – $50,000.
- Other start-up expenses include commercial satellite TV subscriptions, stationery ($500), and phone and utility deposits ($1,800).
- Operational Cost (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $70,000
- Start-up Inventory – $35,000
- Bar Equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $1,750
- Furnishing and Equipping the Ice cream shop – $80,000
- Website: $600
- Opening party: $5,000
- Miscellaneous: $2,000
c. Do You Need to Build a Facility? If YES, How Much Will It Cost?
Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. will not build a new facility for our ice cream shop business; we intend to start with a long-term lease and after 5 years, we will start the process of acquiring our own facility.
d. What are the Ongoing Expenses for Running an Ice Cream Shop Business?
- Rent or Mortgage Payments
- Employee Wages and Benefits
- Inventory and Supplies (milk, cream, eggs, flavoring, stabilizers and emulsifiers, sugar or other sweetener, sprinkles, nuts, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, fresh fruits, cups, packaging materials, cleaning supplies, and equipment).
- Marketing and Advertising
- Maintenance and repairs
- Licenses and permits such as health permits, or permits for outdoor seating or events.
e. What is the Average Salary of your Staff?
- Chief Operating Officer (Owner) – $65,000 Per Year
- Shop Manager – $45,000 Per Year
- Accountant (Cashier) – $32,630,000 Per Year
- Chef – $30,800 Per Year
- Salesgirls and Salesboys – $28,100 Per Year
- Cleaners – $25,000 Per Year
f. How Do You Get Funding to Start an Ice Cream Shop Business?
- Raising money from personal savings and sale of personal stocks and properties
- Raising money from investors and business partners
- Sell shares to interested investors
- Applying for a loan from your bank/banks
- Pitching your business idea and applying for business grants and seed funding from the government, donor organizations, and angel investors
- Source for soft loans from your family members and friends.
a. How Much Should You Charge for Your Product/Service?
Generally, the price range for a cup of ice cream can be anywhere from $3 to $5 depending on the toppings.
b. Sales Forecast?
- First Fiscal Year (FY1): $360,000
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2): $480,000
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3): $750,000
- First Fiscal Year (FY1) (Profit After Tax): $26%
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2) (Profit After Tax): $30%
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3) (Profit After Tax): $35%
d. Profit Margin of an Ice Cream Shop Business
Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. will aim for a profit margin of 26 to 30 percent on sales. This means that for every dollar spent on ice cream or other frozen dessert by a customer, the business should aim to earn 26 to 30 cents in profit.
a. How do you intend to grow and expand? By opening more retail outlets/offices or selling a franchise?
Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. will grow our ice cream shop business by first opening other outlets in key cities in the United States of America within the first five years of establishing the company and then will start selling franchises from the sixth year.
b. Where do you intend to expand to and why?
Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. plans to expand to
- Phoenix, Arizona
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Tucson, Arizona
- Yuma, Arizona
- Palm Springs, California
- El Paso, Texas
- Dallas, Texas
- San Antonio, Texas
- Houston, Texas
- Miami, Florida.
The reason we intend to expand to these locations is the fact that available statistics show that the cities listed above have the highest and thriving market for ice creams and other frozen desserts in the United States.
The founder of Pure Bliss™ Ice Cream Shop, Inc. plans to exit the business via family succession. The company has placed structures and processes in place that will help us achieve our plan of successfully transferring the business from one family member to another and from one generation to another.
The company has successfully developed a detailed transition plan to smoothly hand over responsibilities to the new successor. This includes transferring ownership, training key personnel, and communicating with employees, customers, and suppliers about the change.