Are you interested in starting a housecleaning business? Do you want to know what it takes to run a profitable housecleaning business from home? Do you need a sample housecleaning business plan template? Then i advice you read on.
Housecleaning is the process of cleaning and tidying houses. It can also be said to be the disposing of rubbish, cleaning dirty surface and dusting of the house so that the house will look neat and healthy for human beings.
If your plan is to start a housecleaning business, you have to prepare yourself for some dirty work and market yourself through friends, family and other people. It takes time to build a solid group of client but with a good reputation and word of mouth, you will build a solid foundation in the cleaning business.
NOTE-: This article was culled from “The Complete Guide to Starting a Cleaning Business.” You can take the course for FREE.
7 Reasons Why You Should Start a Housecleaning Business
- Unlimited income potential. You can grow your business as big as you want. Many have built their house cleaning business up to $100k within one year.
- You are your own boss.
- You are the one to set your own time.
- You will be paid on daily basis.
- You are the one to decide how much you will earn.
- You decide who to work with.
- It is an easy work, not technical or complicated.
Starting a Housecleaning Business – Sample Business Plan Template
1. Consider your personal legal or criminal history. – You are in the service business and reputation matters a lot. If your clients find out that you have any bad character, they will not allow you to come near their house or even touch their belongings. So you should ensure you have not just a clean record but also a good name and reputation.
It is very important that you plan before you execute. But preceding your housecleaning business plan should be a feasibility study report. A feasibility study is very important to ascertain that a business opportunity or need exist in the environment you are targeting. You really need to put the following questions into consideration when planning your house cleaning business:
- What sort of cleaning business will you develop?
- Will your business offer different type of cleaning services?
- Will you use your own equipment, the clients own or you will lease the equipment?
- Where are the areas you will operate?
- What transportation and logistics will you need and which can you afford?
- What is your price scale?
When you have taken the above questions into consideration, then you can move to the next level. Here is a sample cleaning service business plan template you can use for FREE.
After writing a business plan, the next important step to take is to secure a good location for your cleaning business. Will you operate from home or from an office space? If you will be operating from home, then your overhead cost will be greatly reduced but you must make sure that your home is close to your target client; the same is applicable if you would be renting an office space.
4. Set up your accounting system
To successfully run a housecleaning business, you need to have a good accounting system in place. This is because you are to keep some records like expenses, sales tax and the rest. It is also important that you separate your business money from your personal saving.
One of the best ways to brand your business is to give it a unique name that can be easily memorized. Your business must be good enough to attract people, so don’t choose an awkward name that will scare people away. After choosing a business name, you can take a bold step to get it registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission or your local government office. You may also need a license and business permit to legally carry out your business activities.
6. Get a business insurance
A housecleaning business is one that entails the handling of other people’s property, so you will definitely need a business insurance covering just in case something goes wrong
7. Consider the equipments you will use and where to purchase them
If you will use your own equipment, then you will need to purchase them from a wholesaler to save your money. But if you are to use the client’s equipments, then you must ensure you handle them with care. It is also important that you buy a bus or van, as it will serve for transportation and logistics purposes.
Equipments / Tools Needed to Start a Housecleaning Business
- Mops and pads
- Vacuum cleaner
- Toilet brushes
- Latex gloves
- Lamb’s wool duster
- Mop bucket and wringer
- Floor brush
- Floor polish
- Dish brushes
- Window cleaner
- Sanitizing wipes
- Dusting spray
- Carpet deodorizer
Housecleaning is definitely not a business you can handle alone because of the stressful tasks involved. As your business grows and gains more clients, you may need to start hiring employees. You can train them yourself or hire someone to help you train them, so that when you are not around; they can manage the business in your absence.
7 Marketing ideas for your Housecleaning Business
- Design catchy business cards and distribute them
- Ask your existing clients to refer you to their friends and associates
- Print brochures, fliers and pamphlets and distribute them
- Creating your own website and promote it
- Talk to your potential customers one-on-one and give them a free or discounted trial offer
- Advertise your business in mass media like radio, T.V, newspapers and magazines, etc
- Connect with your existing and potential clients on social media platforms
Challenges of Starting a Housecleaning Business
It is always a problem all businesses face when starting a from the scratch. In order to get client, you have to build a good reputation so that people will patronize you.
b. Looking for employees – Employing people is a difficult task because you have to employ people that will do the work well, so that your clients will not go complain.
c. Handling and managing of the business
It is not an easy task because you have to provide your service in ways that it will suit your clients and at the same time managing and minimize your expenses so that you will save money.
d. Getting a good location
Getting a good location is big challenge when starting a business, because you have to select a place that is accessible to people, so that people can come and book you.
e. It is a stressful – This business is tagged stressful because it requires physical energy input. If you are not fit physically, you can do a house cleaning job.
In conclusion, starting a housecleaning business is not a bad idea; it is a good business. When starting it is always difficult because getting clients and a good location is always the problem. But with time you will be surprised at the level of success you have attained.
Latest posts by Ajaero Tony Martins (see all)
- Designing an RV Park – 6 Critical Factors You Must Consider - January 16, 2020
- 8 Strong Reasons You Should Become an Entrepreneur - January 9, 2020
- How to Find a Business Partner or Investor With Money - January 9, 2020