Do you know that you can develop winning business ideas from your hobbies, talents or skills? Yes! That little thing you love doing can become a giant company. Just like the case of J.K Rowling; she became a billionaire with nothing but her passion for writing. Well, for those who don’t know her, she is the author of “Harry Potter” series.
For the past days, I have been critically thinking hard, trying to come up with a good business idea. But as I write this, it seems I am up with my first hurdle; which is to come up with a good business idea.
So instead of pondering alone, I decided to share my thoughts with you. As part of the process of finding the best business ideas; I have critically analyzed my core skills, hobbies and talent.
My aim is to see if I can merge my hobbies or skills to come up with one or two entrepreneur ideas. Now let’s get down to business.
“Never invest in a business you can’t understand.” – Warren Buffett
Now like I said earlier, I have made a list of my skills, hobbies and talents; and even went a step further to come up with some business ideas. All this processes was my little attempt to create a business idea; and I succeeded in creating multiple business ideas. But savvy entrepreneurs know that a wonderful business idea does not translate to a wonderful business opportunity; so I know I still have a lot of work to do.
“A Startup business idea is just another idea. But an idea backed by a strong feasibility study, a thorough business plan and a smart business management team is no longer an idea. It’s now a solid business opportunity worth pursuing.” – Ajaero Tony Martins
After making a list of possible businesses I could start, I went a step further to ascertain their viability. After days and nights of thinking and researching; I have finally found a business opportunity worth pursuing.
Now due to legal restrictions, I will not be able to spill the full details of the opportunity but I want you to know that this business idea of mine is a product of a combination of my skills.
However, how I came up with this idea is not rocket science but common sense. Now without wasting your time, below are the best business ideas i could come up with by analyzing my hobbies and talents.
A List of Best Entrepreneur ideas I Got By Analyzing My Hobbies
One of my hobbies is reading and this hobby is the reason why I am never idle. I wasn’t born a reader; my parents instilled the habit of reading in me. But aside novels and other genre of books, I am more interested in books that challenge my perception. I am inclined towards books that motivate, inspire or force me to think for myself. Can I start a business around my love for reading? My answer is YES
4 Business ideas I got from my hobby for reading
- I could start a Niche Bookshop business (a bookshop dealing on a specific genre of books e.g. business books)
- I could start a reading club for kids or teens and charge for membership
- I could start a private library and charge for access
- I could start an online review website for books (where I will read, rate, summarize and recommend books while encouraging people to air their opinions).
Will I pursue any of the ideas listed above? I really don’t know but I doubt if building a business around my reading habit is something I am passionate about. The reason I say this is because being passionate about reading is quite different from building a business around reading; different skills are required.
Writing is something I am good at but the problem is that I can’t write for others as a profession. I am just lazy to do that and that makes me unemployable as a writer. But when it comes to writing down my ideas or things that interest me, I never get tired of it. Can I start a business around my love for writing? My answer is yes but I am sincerely not interested in this field so I am passing it by.
I love teaching and I am really surprised about this new found love because I naturally despise the traditional mode of teaching or learning. Sitting for hours, listening to my boring teachers and lecturers usually piss me off. Why? The reason is because I hate boring structured teachings.
But when it comes to teaching or discussing subjects I am passionate about, I never get tired. I am talking about subjects such entrepreneurship, business issues, investing, religion or any subject that’s requires creativity and is not rigid.
I love teaching and learning about real-life issues that requires critical thinking; I love the active interaction type of teaching, where I talk and also hear my listener’s point of view. My love for teaching is the reason why I started MyTopBusinessideas.com; so I can teach and share my entrepreneurial experience with you.
Now can I start a business around my love for teaching? My answer is a resounding yes. In fact, I have already done so with this blog MyTopBusinessideas.com but I still have other ideas.
5 Business ideas I got from my hobby for teaching
- I could start a seminar company with the aim of organizing events, expos and seminars around subjects I am interested in.
- I could position myself as a public speaker or resource person; with a focus on subjects I am well grounded in.
- I could start a publishing company, with the aim of producing information products in different formats such as ebooks, books, magazines, audios and videos.
- I could start a blog on subjects I am passionate about. In fact, I already have this on my drawing board.
- I could start a T.V show production company, organizing weekly segments to teach or discuss subjects I am passionate about.
Will I pursue any of the ideas revolving around my love for teaching? My answer is a resounding yes, only if it proves feasible.
4. Martial Arts
I am a martial artist, i practice Taekwondo to be precise and I love the game. I am so passionate about it that I don’t bother about the toughness of the training. Can I start a business around my martial art skills? My answer is yes and it is something I would really love to do.
5 Business ideas I got from my martial art skills
- I could start a membership club for martial arts (Taekwondo) enthusiasts. However, i would need to attain a black belt in martial, pass through some tests and obtain the required license before i can operate a martial arts club.
- I could start a self defense training school for women, men and kids.
- I could start a company dedicated to teaching kids martial arts in their various high schools and tertiary institutions.
- I could start a company dedicated to helping people learning self defense at home.
- I could start a retail company to strictly sell martial arts toolkit, gears, wears, etc.
Investing is a game I am passionate about and i think I will be starting a business around this passion. Investing is a game that requires continuous learning; every investment you undertake will always turn out to be a learning adventure. As an active stock, startup and real estate investor, I believe I still have a lot to learn when it comes to the subject of investing.
- I could start an investment membership club
- I can start a blog discussing investing trends, tips and issues
- I can create video tutorials on investing and investments
- I could start a small scale private fund management company
Entrepreneurship is a subject I am so passionate about; not theoretically but practical. I love building businesses and I love solving business problems. One major reason I love business is because of the challenges involved; you can never know what is ahead of you. You just have to deal with problems as they come; as well as take advantages of opportunities as they come.
Can I start a business around my passion for entrepreneurship? My answer is a resounding yes. In fact, I can’t exhaust the opportunities that can be found under this subject. My passion and experience as an entrepreneur is the reason why MyTopBusinessideas.com is a success.
As a final note, these are the ideas I am currently considering in pursuit of my goal. Now for those interested in starting a business but are short of ideas; analyzing your hobbies, skills, talent just as I did above is a great way to start.
Before I drop my pen, I want to state categorically that I have not made up my mind to pursue any of the entrepreneur ideas listed above; I may also end up abandoning them. I still have to critically analyze each of the entrepreneur ideas above to ascertain their feasibility and profitability. I will get back to you with my results. Till then, keep the entrepreneurial flame burning.