Do you reside in California and you are interested in starting a business in California? Then below are the top 20 small business opportunities in California that you can start from home with little or no capital.
What better place to start a business than the most populous state in the United States of America? With its population set at more than 38 million people, California has one of the strongest economies in the USA. The five largest sectors that drive the California economy are financial services, trade, transportation, and utilities; education and health services; government; and manufacturing.
Los Angeles, which houses Hollywood, the entertainment capital of the world is in California and California is said to be the third largest state in the United States. California also houses the famous Silicon Valley; a concentration of the world’s largest technology company and fast rising startups. Example of such companies include
- Adobe Systems, etc
California is also the largest consumer of energy in the United States and a large quarter of California’s economy depends on trade, agriculture and exportation. The state is also blessed with a lot of infrastructure which makes doing business in California easier and more profitable.
Now given the statistics above, I don’t think you need anyone to convince you of the opportunities that California holds. You can take advantage of the high population of California and start any of the following high-demand businesses.
Top 20 Small Business ideas to Start in California for 2020
Pizza though an Italian food is an all time favorite snack of the Americans and starting a pizza shop is a business that would definitely sell in California. You can add mobile pizza delivery to your services so that people can order for your pizza from the comfort of their homes or offices. If you have the capital, you can buy a Pizza delivery franchise; rather than start your own from scratch.
2. Solar installation
California is one of the largest consumers of energy in the United States and the high cost of electricity can be sometimes discouraging and because of that, a lot of people prefer to go for an alternative source of energy that is more affordable and on top of the list is solar energy. You can start a solar installation business to help residents of California and even companies to reduce their cost of power.
There are lots of people searching for jobs and there are also lots of people in California looking for an opportunity in the entertainment and technology industry. You can become a recruitment consultant for corporate outfits, small businesses and even companies in the entertainment or tech industry. If you know your onions, you can setup up a headhunting firm of high repute.
You only need one very good car to start a taxi service and then you can invest in more vehicles and hire more drivers to drive them as your business grows. Car hire services are also another business that sells well in California.
Pests can be a source of irritation and micro-organisms that lead to health problems, and no one likes to have them in their homes. You can make good money from helping people remove those annoying pests from their home.
6. Plumbing services
Plumbers can make money from installation of plumbing materials in new homes or fixing plumbing problems like clogged or leaking pipes.
7. Auto repair-: More than fifty percent of the residents of California own cars. This means that there is a lot of demand for auto repair services in the state.
Another smart business that you can start in California is a towing business. You can make money from helping people move their vehicles when it breaks down or even work with law enforcement agents to move illegally parked vehicles.
9. Landscaping and Lawn maintenance
California is a beautiful state. This goes to show that residents of California take home beautification and maintenance serious. You can start a landscaping and lawn maintenance business to help busy people care for their lawns and gardens on a daily basis.
10. Fast food
Date nights, business meetings and relaxation after a hard day’s job are some of the reasons why fast food businesses make huge sales daily. Just look for a very nice space in a public place where you can sell good food, snacks and drinks to people.
11. Gas station-: Another business you can start in California is to open a gas station where you can sell fuel to car owners.
12. Waste recycling-: You can help to protect the environment and make money for yourself from starting a waste recycling business.
14. Catering-: You can also offer catering services for events like weddings, birthdays, meetings or conferences.
16. Oil change services-: Another business that you can start that caters to the car owners in California is a mobile oil change service. This is a business that is very easy to start and requires minimal capital.
17. Professional house cleaning-: If you are the type of person that loves to keep things clean, you can start a house cleaning service to help people clean up their homes or offices.
18. Chinese restaurant-: Americans love to eat Chinese food and the residents of California are not left out either. You can start a Chinese restaurant and you will be surprised at the level of patronage you will get.
19. Real estate
California is a highly populous state with high number of immigrants. One of the businesses that are sure to thrive in California is setting up a real estate development or agency business to help solve some of the accommodation challenges in the state.
20. Used car dealership-: You can also set up a used car dealership business. You will buy motor vehicles from people who no longer need them or from car auction sites; and sell to people who need vehicles but cannot afford new ones.
21. Custom sign and banner company-: Another business that you can start in California is a custom sign and banner company for companies who want to advertise their businesses.
Other areas of business you can look into in California include Agriculture, education and transportation businesses.