Are you a Christian looking to start a business; a business that aligns with your faith? If YES, here are 50 best small business ideas for Christians in 2020.
Have you ever wanted to start a business that does not conflict with your Christian faith? Well, there are a lot of good Christian business opportunities that a person can take advantage of to make some money.
Christian allowable business ideas do not have to be exclusively about selling Bibles and prayer items. As long as a business does not conflict with one’s Christian faith in any way and does not stop the business owner from worshiping God, then a Christian is allowed to operate such a business. Here are 50 best business ideas for Christians in the USA
50 Best Small Home Based Business ideas for Christians in 2020
1. Start a Christian bookstore: you can open a bookshop where you can sell the Holy Bible and other religious and inspirational books. There is a large market for the Holy bible and other religious books especially if you have done your homework before stocking your bookshop with books.
Irrespective of what you may think, there are not enough book shops in the United States today. Even though e-books are taking over, there is still nothing that can totally replace that feeling of coiling up on the sofa with a hard copy book. In addition to operating a book store from a physical location, it will also be advantageous to also have an online store from where your customers can easily buy your books.
An online bookstore is a great way to make money and the best part about having a bookstore is having a business that you feel good about knowing that the products you are selling are helping people in their spiritual lives, and it is also another great way to spread the word.
2. Buying and Sell On e-Bay: Buying and selling happens to be one of the easiest means of making money and one of the biggest online platforms that you can leverage on to make money buying and selling stuffs is e-bay. E-bay is an internet platform that you can sell your stuffs on. All you need to do is to sign up for their services, play by their rules in listing and selling your products and be extra careful when dealing with your clients.
Unlike most Online business, your location has little or no influence on your business, so you can start this type of business from anywhere in the United States and still be very successful. Furthermore, you can start this type of business with little cash and no experience in business. You can sell almost anything on eBay, from cloths, to books, electronics et al.
3. Christian dating website: if you are tech inclined, then you can set up a Christian dating app that is in line with relationship trends as many people have switch to finding life partners online. You can also help people date in a Christianly manner free of sexual immorality.
4. Online tutor: do you have a skill that others might want to learn? Then you should consider becoming an online tutor. The internet is home to a wide range of tutoring options where you can teach someone who lives across the world, all from the comfort of your own home.
Once you’ve built a free online tutor profile, eager students can connect with you over the web. Lessons are often conducted through a program like Skype or FaceTime, and hourly rates generally hover between 12 dollars to 35 dollars an hour and sometimes you can even charge higher.
If you have a busy schedule, you can set the days and times that you will not be available so that you will not leave your clients stranded. Online tutoring is a very good business that you can use to make some money on the side while still being able to build a relationship with others through a one on one session.
Websites like Chegg Tutors, Tutor.com, VerbalPlanet et al are a good starting point for people who would want to start this type of business. Irrespective of the type of background you may have, you most probably have a skill that someone will be willing to pay to learn.
5. Christian nanny and babysitting service: if you can spare a few hours from your routine, then a baby-sitting service can be another way to make quick cash. If you know some working or busy parents in need of a babysitter, you can avail your services to them for a fee.
A lot of parents are in need of nannies and babysitters that are Christian and who will care for their children and many are needed on a daily basis. You can always start your idea by putting an ad in the local paper, Craigslist or by reaching out to your church members.
6. Christian paper/magazine: you can start up a magazine that is based on the Christian faith. You can easily liaison with local churches to distribute your paper and establish a client base.
7. Christian music: if you are musically inclined, you can start a Christian band or even venture into Christian music production. A lot of churches will book your band after you’ve recorded and you can also go on tours and hold concerts when you become popular.
8. Christian mentor: starting up your own business can be quite intimidating. Your business may present you with tough decisions and questions that you may not have the experience that is required to proffer answers to. This is where a mentoring service comes in. A mentor is an experienced individual who you can lean on his experience, knowledge and resources to help you to develop your business.
The mentor helps to guide others in business opportunities and they often encourage them to use their God-given talent. A mentor will also help you to make difficult decisions, constructively criticize you et al. You can even team up with local businesses to provide faith based jobs to those interested.
9. Ornaments and Crafts: if you have the skill, you can create some handicrafts such as baskets, gift items, jewelry and so on and personalize them with inspirational messages or Christian symbols. You can also expand your services to include designing of greeting cards or even church cookbooks for fundraising.
10. Wedding Planning: Memorable parties don’t just happen. Organizing and holding a wedding takes planning and skill. Wedding parties are a very common occurrence and as such, the opportunities it presents are tremendous. You can start this business by helping those getting married in your local church plan their weddings.
11. Write a book: Authorship isn’t the best way to make a living. The reality is that most books don’t sell 5,000 copies and for many authors it’s way less, especially when self-publishing. However, with a great story that is well-written and prepared, and a marketing plan that reaches your target market, writing books can be profitable.
You have several choices when selling your books. You can go the traditional route, seeking an agent or pitching publishers directly through a proposal. Or you can self-publish your book through many of the free and affordable e-print book services. A final option is to work with a hybrid publishing company which offers a little of both.
While you pay for hybrid services as a self-publisher, hybrid companies vet authors as traditional publishers do, and give access to their editors, cover designers and marketing experts. With this business, you can easily share your Christian faith with others and still make money from it.
12. Movie Production: this is one area where Christians are really needed. With so many movies glorifying sex, violence and other forms of unchristian behavior, there is need for more God-inspired people who can help produce great inspirational movies.
13. Real Estate: the business field of real estate is quite diversified yet it is also profitable. Real estate personnel help to facilitate the buying and selling of properties to which they will earn a percentage of the cost of the property. If you have the knowledge about how the real estate industry works, you can delve into it and make money from it.
14. Blogging: a blog is an individual website that is updated on a regular basis. If you love to write, then you can open up a blog where you can discuss a range of issues on the Christian faith. There are many different ways by which a blog can be monetized so you should not stick to just one.
You can make money through blogging by putting up adverts on your blog, selling your own courses and books, affiliate marketing and of course Google AdSense. The more traffic you have, the more money you’ll make. Even if you post to your blog every day but only have ten people looking at it, you won’t make much money. Though blogging is not a get rich scheme, it is a very good way to get the word of God out to the world while still making some cash.
15. Ghostwriter: Despite its name, ghostwriting is not about writing ghost stories. Ghost writing in its simplest definition is writing for someone else as if you were that person. In other words, you will not be able to use your own byline or get any acknowledgement for your writing, because you are writing as if you were that person.
They will get credit for your literary work (book), but you will receive financial compensation. Your job as a ghostwriter is to take on the voice, style, and personality of the person for whom you are doing the writing. If you have good writing skills as well as grammar and spelling you can write books for other people and get paid for it.
16. SEO Freelancer: the internet is filled with millions of websites and one easy way that people get to find and visit these websites is through various search engines such as Google, Yahoo!, Bing et al. Due to the fact that there are a lot of websites in the internet, for a website to appear in the first page of a search engine it has to optimized. This is the job of a search engine optimization (SEO) specialist.
A lot of website now realize the importance of having a website that is SEO compliant, thus, this service is in high demand. The work of an SEO specialist is largely online based and as such it can be carried out from anywhere as long as there is steady internet connection. Also the work hours are very flexible. You can learn about this business right from the internet without even attending any other training.
17. Public Speaking Coach/Teacher: the fear of speaking in public is a very common phobia. If you are skilled in the art of speaking in public, then you can offer this service to people who would like to improve their public speaking ability by way of private or group lessons. Irrespective of if it’s for giving presentations at work or a toast at a friend’s wedding, there is great demand for help with public speaking.
18. Translation and interpretation service: if you can read and write more than one language, you can always monetize this skill to make money by offering to help people translate written and spoken words from one language to another. With the ever increasing number of non-English speakers in the United States, translation services are a booming business. You can be an independent translator and offer your services on freelance websites.
19. Editorial Services: Here are some of the editorial services you can provide right the comfort of your home:
- Copyediting. This involves checking facts and making sure that a copy is free from any grammatical, stylistic and typographical errors.
- Proofreading. This is the last stop for a “finished” piece. The proofreader makes sure the copyediting changes have been properly made and no new errors are created in the process. Proof reading and editing is officially an exhausting job for anyone, but if you love books, it’s both exhausting and thrilling and can become lucrative as well.
However, you must still maintain a business mindset to succeed here and make it a business that pays. Like every other business, setting up freelance editing and proofreading business involves work. This business is best suited for people who pay attention to the smallest details in written documents and are able to spot and correct grammatical blunders.
To get started, you should register in any online freelance platforms like Fiverr or Upwork and wait till you get contacted by any client. It goes without saying that due to the online nature of this business, you will need an internet enabled laptop device to carry out this duty. This is also yet another job that can carried out right from home.
- Indexing. There are indexing courses available and you can get indexing software in order to help you carry out this job.
- Developmental editing. A developmental editor works with a manuscript on big-picture things like organization and content issues.
- Book doctoring. This is an editorial service provided for manuscripts written by experts. They create a manuscript as best they can and then a book doctor puts it into publishable shape.
- Copywriting. Also known as business writing, this is writing that promotes a product or a service.
- Web page content provider. Providing content for a web site is a good way to make some money writing.
20. Virtual Assistant: technology has really changed the way businesses operate these days. Workers are now able to do their work from a remote location with the aid of the internet instead of coming to the office. A lot of small businesses that are in need of administrative help but don’t have enough money to hire a permanent staff for the position usually make use of the services of virtual assistants. As a virtual assistant, you will be tasked with doing the normal administrative task but from the comfort of your home on a part time basis.
21. Personal Training: As a personal trainer you can work hand in hand with your clients to help them fulfill their fitness goals and still get paid for it. Personal training is highly profitable if done correctly. Starting off, you will need to get certified. Certification helps you to build trust with both gyms you may want to work in, and clients you want to work with. These bodies all supply legitimate certifications:
- American Council on Exercise ( ACE)
- National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM )
- International Sports Sciences Association ( ISSA)
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM )
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA )
After getting certified, it’s often best to then look to specialize in an area. Usually this will be something that you yourself are interested in, but it pays to take a look at what’s popular as well.
From that point you can then start applying with local gyms and fitness centers to start working for them or hiring out facilities with them. Another piece of advice is to look at teaching at multiple gyms in different areas. This can help expand your network of clients and make sure that you have less risk of clients drying up.
22. Ridesharing: the last couple of years has witnessed a rise in the popularity of ridesharing apps with Uber and Lyft being in the fore front and you can cash in on it by becoming a driver. If your car is good looking, you like meeting new people and want a way to get out into your community more, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
23. Graphic design: this field is quite competitive, but if you are skilled and highly talented in graphic design, you will be able to command a high price. You can showcase your designs and make a living from this. You should have an online portfolio somewhere like Behance where you display your work for potential clients to see.
24. Web development: creation of websites and blogs is in very high demand. As a web developer, you can help people create, maintain and edit websites. If you are good at marketing your services, you will always have constant work. This is also a business you can start right from the comfort of your own home.
25. Landscaping and Lawn care Services: Another thriving and profitable easy to start business that a Christian can go into in the United States is landscaping business. Landscape architecture is all about the art, planning, designing, management, preservation and rehabilitation of the land and the design of a large man-made construct; it beautifies our environment. Landscaping business just like lawn care business is not one of those businesses that someone can start and make big money from without working pretty hard and smart.
Any entrepreneur who intends starting his or her own landscaping business and making huge profits from it must be very creative and must be ready to go the extra mile to convince clients that he or she can deliver an excellent job and he or she must prove beyond every reasonable doubt that they are competent.
26. House Cleaning: This is one of the most popular small businesses because almost everyone wants a house cleaner. The work is repetitive and continuous. But if you can show up on time and do a good job consistently, you will build a healthy clientele. And if you can charge enough so that you can delegate, you can grow this into a large business.
There are many directions you can take this business. If you want to work during hours when no one else does, you can focus on office clients. You can focus on retail businesses and keep your customers clumped into one or two blocks.
Restaurants are in great need of daily thorough cleaning and can be a great source of steady clients. Many times with cleaning services you don’t have to spend lots of money on advertising or marketing because your customers will come by word of mouth. You can also tell your fellow church members about the service you offer and they will patronize you.
27. Vacation Rentals: if you have a spare room in your house, you can put it to good use and make money from it by renting it out through websites like airbnb. However, you should have it in mind that vacation rental falls into the hospitality industry and as such it is much more hands on when compared to house rentals. As such, you will need to to be available to help your renters and change the sheets and linens between guests.
If you don’t have a house to rent out, all hope is not lost. You can still partner with someone who has a house to rent but does not have the time or chance to be able to do it by themselves. Due to the tremendous growth in online vacation rental, you are bound to find someone who is willing to hire you to take care of their rental especially if you stay in a very populous city.
28. Marriage Counselor: married life is not always easy for some because there are a lot of challenges along the way. As a marriage counselor, you will be tasked with guiding couples towards a successful union. You can offer this service to couples who would want to settle their marital differences in a faith based setting.
29. Religious Clothing Store Owner: you can set up a shop where you will sell items of clothing with religious and inspirational sayings and images on them.
30. Painting and art: you can become a Christian artist by painting canvasses, creating art, oil paintings and sketches of holy images and saints and then selling it to customers. If you are not as gifted as a painter, you can buy from artists and then resell to other people for a profit.
31. Religious Influencer: You can also build an online business based around the various social media websites and apps by becoming an online influencer. As a religious influencer, you will have to post religious topics on social media or elsewhere. When you have been able to gather a large following on the various social media platform, you can work with other religious businesses or organizations to spread the word about their various programs.
32. Religious Podcaster: a podcast is like a personal radio show where you talk about specific topics. You can create a podcast aimed at talking about topics related to faith and religion. Before you think about monetizing your podcast, you have to make sure that it is filled with rich and engaging content. You can monetize your podcast through sponsorship, affiliate marketing or even sale of your own product.
33. Travel Agency Operator for Religious Groups: There are a lot of missions, youth groups and other religious groups that travel to other parts of the world together. So you can build a business as a travel agent that specializes in planning those trips. As your business grows, you can even include pilgrimage to site that are considered holy to the Christian faith.
34. Religious Candle Maker: candles play a huge role during worship in many denominations of the Christian faith. Production of candles is not cost intensive and as such you can easily delve into the business.
35. Christmas tree Farmer: most businesses experience a boost in sales during Christmas time. Christmas tree farmers also cash in during this period. This business is highly seasonal and as such, it should be done in addition to another business.
36. Errand service: this is one business which people who have no skill can easily key into. It simply involves helping individuals who are busy or are under any other form of restriction perform some certain tasks. For example, under this service, you can offer to run local errands for nursing mothers, sick people or senior citizens for a fee. To be able to get constant work in this field, you should be trustworthy and have a good knowledge of the road network.
37. Dog siting: due to the fact that Americans are pet-lovers, this is one businesses that is guaranteed to do well in the US. In the list of the best animals to start a siting business for, man’s best friend sits atop the list. There is serious money to be made in the business opportunity especially if you are a lover of dogs.
You can start this business by making fliers and distributing it around your neighborhood. You will be surprised by the amount of response you will get. You can also add other additional services such as grooming and simple teeth cleaning and nail cutting as that can set your business apart from other dog sitting businesses.
38. Software training: if you are skilled and proficient on the use of certain specialized software packages such as Adobe Photoshop, Auto CAD, coral draw among others, then you can monetize this skill by teaching what you know to others in need of the skill.
Granted, in recent time, this type of knowledge can be gotten for free on the internet, but the truth still remains that it is easier to fully grasp the concepts in a one on one training with a specialist. With the increasing demand of IT knowledg, and people in need of such knowledge, this will be a quite profitable business to delve into.
39. Computer Repair: as far back as 2010, 81% of American households already had either a laptop, desktop or handheld computer. Today, the percentage has gone up a lot more. With continual use, it is unavoidable that these gadgets will eventually breakdown and will thus require repair.
This is where the services of a computer repair technician comes in. To be able to carry out the task of a computer repairer, it is expedient that you will have to be technologically inclined. It is really important to invest in computer diagnostic tools so as to make the work easier.
40. Affiliate Marketing: Affiliate marketers promote the products of other people. With the affiliate marketing business, you can choose to help in marketing Christian religious books and other items of faith, in return for commissions on their sales.
Amazon is one of the most popular platforms for affiliate marketing, but there are alternatives that you can consider like Commission Junction. Since affiliate marketing is typically combined with blogging in order to create a seamless mix of content and promotion, you’ll need to get your own blog up and running first.
41. Food Truck: a food truck is one of the various types of mobile vending business. This type is food business is quite advantageous because you can easily move your truck to another location that has more potential customers than your present location. Many Americans have a busy routine and as such they may prefer to grab a bite on the go. Starting a food truck business requires little investment, yet with proper management, it can really yield a lot of turn over.
42. Micro tasks: micro task are those task that are short, easy to complete and low paying. Usually, the tasks pay a range upward of $0.01 per task with the ability to make sufficiently good pay to keep you on the road for as long as you wish. The most reputable company in this line where you should begin your search is Amazon MTurk.
43. Develop online courses: if you are not a fan of face to face tutoring, then, you should consider creating an online course to teach other people that special skill that you have.
You will just need to create the online course once, and after that, people can sign up and take it at any time without needing you to be available to meet with them. This can create a passive income funnel for you in the sense that you can make your money without you presence being needed. The money flows in and minimal work is required to maintain it.
Websites like Udemy allow you to build a course in any area you want, whether it’s teaching concepts of a foreign language, how to paint a room, or prepare for a job interview. In order to be successful in this platform, you will have to take your time to create a quality course that will provide genuine benefit to enrollees. The more detail you provide on your subject matter, the better.
You can create an online course that last from 30 minutes to a couple of hours. The average income for those on Udemy ranges from $6,000-$7,000 though it can be higher. To increase your earnings, promote your course on social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
44. Photography: irrespective of if you are a professional or an amateur photographer, you can sell your photographs. If you have a lot of pictures on your phone, you can sell the photos on apps or you can promote them on your Instagram account.
You can sell your photos on applications like Phope or Glashot. The applications can be downloaded over Play store or Apple store. The apps allow you to upload your images from your smartphone directly to the apps and sell it there. With these applications you even get $5 for every photograph you sell.
45. Transcription service: Transcription is an option if you have great listening and typing skills. You will need to upload and download files, so a reliable and fast internet connection would be necessary. A lot of people who do videos or audios need a transcription service. It could be a lecture, court case, podcast, audios, interviews, videos, movies et al.
Manual human transcription services are in high demand mainly because there is no decent application or computer program that can transcribe audios to text with accuracy. You can make use of freelancer websites or transcibeme.com to get work on a regular basis.
46. Family Friendly Video Game Creator: there are tons and tons of video games that have been created, but only a very few of them are family friendly and faith based. If you have enough tech experience, then you can fill up this lag and make some cool money.
47. Religious Illustrator: children’s books are filled with colorful stories that are made even more vivid with illustrations. If you are good in drawing, you can offer you services as an illustrator for authors who write children’s books. You can also illustrate other Christian religious materials.
48. Christianity Based Thrift Store: Thrift stores have become popular business models for faith based organizations and Christianity is no exception. You can start a thrift store and accept donations from people in the community and then donate some of your profits or any unused items to religious charities.
49. Gift Basket Arranger: Gift baskets are common during Christian religious celebration especially Christmas. In that vein, you can create and sell specialty gift baskets to customers looking to honor those special occasions.
50. Jewelry making: There are many different ways of getting into the jewelry business and many different types of materials with which you can work. Working in metal will probably require the most in the way of specific tools. You need to be able to heat the metal to manipulate it, and you need metalworking tools to cut and engrave it.
But there are many other materials that you can work with to make jewelry–glass, plastic, beads, feathers, even wood, to name just a few. With minimal training you can start up a jewelry making business. You can create jewelry that have special religious meaning, such from necklaces with crosses and crucifixes.
As you can see, there are a plethora of Christian business opportunities out there for anyone who wants to venture into such an enterprise. It is Gods wish that all his children should attain financial dominion and what better way to get there than to be an entrepreneur? Just be imaginative, hardworking and prayerful and your dreams will come true.
- 10 Pros and Cons of Owning a Vending Machine Business - December 2, 2020
- 4 Best Types of Fan That Prepare You for Skydiving - December 1, 2020
- 10 Best Types of GoPro Mount Rig Chest Strap for Skydiving - December 1, 2020